Railroad Line Forums - What do I plant now?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 What do I plant now?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A Very-Very WICKED WANDAS Topic Next Topic: Possible Tom Yorke Pool Hall Bordello kit - HO & O  

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Later this year , No doubt I will need to be making trees for my HOn3 empire.

Thinking ahead, rather than everyone in the future needing to search through seven pages of tree topics,I was hoping you guys would use this thread as a depository or compendium of information of the collective minds here as to what needs to be gardened in the spring to produce a harvest of plants useful for making trees in the fall.

Nothing beats nature to reproduce nature in miniature.

So have at it. Names of plants, pictures of Seed packages, pics of the growing /grow/, harvested etc.

This isn't so much intended as a "how to" make trees, as much as it is what to plant in the spring so they can be harvested in the fall.

Many thanks for what I hope is a good response.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 05/05/2020 4:49:16 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for starters, the easiest one, is a sedum plant, you plant it once, and it grows every year on its own. Great for making trees. I planted two in my back yard and they give a life time of trees.
Plant below with flowers in summer, and dead plant in fall. The one I have is called "Autumn Joy Sedum".

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

pingjockey
New Hire

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Great topic. Iíll be following along.

You can use the dried seed heads from Italian oregano to make bushes. Just knock the depleted flowers off and then flock the seed head.

Additional benefits include good to eat, smells good , the bees love it
One down side is that unless you pull it out every year it can become quite invasive. Also, when you harvest it, it will drop many seeds that will produce many more plants.

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  4:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Onions now, peas were St. Patricks day. Potatoes on Mother's day, Tomato and pepper plants Memorial day, Green beans the following week along with Zucchini. That ought to plant your Victory garden.

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Dave,

Onions now, peas were St. Patricks day. Potatoes on Mother's day, Tomato and pepper plants Memorial day, Green beans the following week along with Zucchini. That ought to plant your Victory garden.

Jim

How is he going to plant that on his railroad layout?

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing as Jim said tomato plants, that reminded me that DocPatti took a dried tomato plant, and put it into his layout. So it is a double benefit for you. You get to eat the tomato fruit, than plant the dead plant in your layout.
See the Doc's picture below.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  4:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Dave,

Jim

Migrant LP workers.

How is he going to plant that on his railroad layout?

Take the red pill

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  6:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some times I find the roots work better than the part of the plant above ground.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  7:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Some times I find the roots work better than the part of the plant above ground.

Very true David. And, I think you'll agree that Doc Patti did a great looking job with that tree using a tomato plant bush.

Louis

hardcoalcase
New Hire

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been collecting the seed/berry heads from Crepe Myrtle trees and the dead branches from blueberry bushes. Both look like good candidates but I haven't gotten to the tree-making part yet.

Note that these are not your usual summer garden plants, so either you already have some, or you know a neighbor who does.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dried Peppergrass makes excellent trees.

https://www.afloral.com/products/dried-lepidium-grass-peppergrass-2-3-oz-bunch-18-20-tall

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Previous Topic: A Very-Very WICKED WANDAS Topic Next Topic: Possible Tom Yorke Pool Hall Bordello kit - HO & O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000