Railroad Line Forums - Shake Can Primer Recommendations
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Shake Can Primer Recommendations
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  1:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I placed a paint and detail parts order with Walthers yesterday for my Erie milk car project and forgot to add a bottle of acrylic primer. Love those senior moments! I called customer service, but it's too late to add to the order and I'm not going to pay another eleven bucks just for shipping a small bottle, so let's go to Plan B. I know that some modelers have used shake can primer before, but which one would you guys recommend? Has anyone ever sprayed out shake can primer into a container for use in an airbrush? Thanks!

Russ

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  3:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to start things off, I've used Walmart's own flat spray paint ($0.96) as a base coat on models and it worked well for me. The gray primer is no longer available, but I've used the flat black, red oxide and flat white with good results.
However, the cans I have came with the old style small spray nozzle, not the larger one that comes on most (all?) cans now. I had a couple of those newer nozzles that came on Rustoleum paint spray cans and they plugged up after short use. You used to be able to clear a nozzle after spraying paint by inverting the can and spraying for a few seconds, but any of the cans with the newer nozzle I've tried seem to be designed to spray paint no what what angle the can is held. I have not used, but have heard good things about Tamiya spray paints and primers.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  4:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russ, I still have left over cans of the Wal-Mart gray that I've decanted. The decanted paint from Wal-Mart is usually okay to use without further thinning, but you can thin it down with the appropriate thinner to your desired viscosity. The paint I decanted always seemed pretty thin out of the can, so I just loaded up the airbrush and did some tests first. The paint sprayed easily at about 20 psi, and went on nice and smooth. If you've never decanted spray paint, I can give that information as well.
Just decant enough for what you need, then leave it alone for an hour or so to allow all the propellant to evaporate. If you try to use this paint before all the can propellant is evaporated from the paint, you'll never do it again.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  06:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Guys. Lou, I like the idea of "decanting" the paint from the can for use in my airbrush and I'll give that a try.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had so much trouble with the nozzles on Rust-Oleum paints clogging. I emailed Rust-Oleum and they sent me a dozen new caps. Naturally in their explanation of the problem it was "my fault" they were clogging.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/30/2020 09:09:09 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

I've had so much trouble with the nozzles on Rust-Oleum paints clogging. I emailed Rust-Oleum and they sent me a dozen new caps. Naturally in their explanation of the problem it was "my fault" they were clogging.

Sure it is always our fault not theirs. However, did they tell you a fix to stop the caps from clogging other than turning them upside down and spray a short burst?

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  10:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Thanks for the info, Guys. Lou, I like the idea of "decanting" the paint from the can for use in my airbrush and I'll give that a try.

Russ as you know you can use any primer you want, but as may Wal-Mart stuff disappears I've found that the 12 oz. $6.00 can of white aerosol sandable primer (DAP1689) by Dupli-Color. Is a great sandable all-purpose primer, 30 minute fast-drying primer. Great for smooth fill-in of surface cracks and imperfections and is effective on both painted and unpainted surfaces. Also, doesn't hide small details, rivets and the like.
When I mix my paint with thinner for airbrush use, I first spray the bottom of a plastic spoon to test for consistency and coverage like the picture provided below.

Louis

FrankieJ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Tamiya light gray primer with good results.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  11:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the artist acrylic spray paints (from Michaels, etc), but I can't really recommend them as a primer. They don't stick all that well, and the surface you're spraying should be really clean before you spray.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  12:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis the short burst doesn't seem to work on these new cans. I used to do that with the old nozzle until it went clear but now they just keep on spraying. I prefer Krylon the best.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/30/2020 12:28:26 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lou...My auto parts store has the white Dupli-Color primer in stock. What do you use as a thinner for use in your airbrush?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Lou...My auto parts store has the white Dupli-Color primer in stock. What do you use as a thinner for use in your airbrush?

I use very little of the Wal-Mart Klean-Strip odorless mineral spirits for other paints. But you will find you donít need it here, because the white Dupli-Color primer is already very thin, and it takes a few coats to build up. Thatís a good thing especially with the primer stage to keep the paint depth down in our modeling.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lou, I'll give it a try. I'm going to use it after applying and sanding down some filler putty to see what will show through at the painting stage.

Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000