Railroad Line Forums - How to model deadfall?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 How to model deadfall?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Shed Under Construction Topic Next Topic: Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar  

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recent deadfall is easy enough (twigs, etc.), but what about the more ubiquitous "seasoned" deadfall?

Something like in the foreground of this photo:

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  4:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an example of some "recent" deadfall on my layout. It's nice and bleached, but doesn't have that "hollowed-out-from-inside" look of the stuff in the first picture.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  5:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind you would not just have upper limbs, but where the trunk finally fell over, there would be a matching stump that it came from near by.

Depends upon the the trunk rotted off or a storm up rooted the whole tree, roots and all.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/30/2020 1:02:34 PM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I need to do at least one avalanche debris pile in Ten Mile Canyon too (the north end of it was notorious for wrecking rotary blades). That will definitely need the stumps attached -- although it could be "fresher" wood.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  2:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any hints?

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  3:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought there would be some interest on “dead fall”. I used to belong to a Face Book group on Dead Season” modeling and there weren’t too many daily responses there either. I am unable to post pictures on RRL forums from my IPadPro.

In the fall I took downed leaves from our Maple, Oak and Birch trees and ground them In a blender and because they were still too big for HO I put them in a coffee grinder. Lots of powder but some very nicely seasoned leaves for the forest floor. Into the oven they were and a few hours later onto the forest floor. Dead limbs are all over the real forest floor and most of what I use are the branches from a pine tree, stripped off the leaves, clipped down to decent looking sizes and again into the oven. I have taken logs and branches split them with the Exacto blade, dumped over night in a ink weathering solution and some Arlenes Tacky glue sprinkled some WS grasses to imitate moss growing on them. Then I placed them in position in the forest floor. I make stumps from real branches just cutting them down, I still have some of Rusty Stumps stumps he was selling and I place them randomingly. I think an avalanche debris field would contain lots of rocks, brush and branches depending on how recent you want to model it. Maybe go off a picture of a real debris field. I know this isn’t exactly what you were hoping for but it’s all I got.

TomO

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, TomO. The oven gives me an idea: I wonder if you slit down the stem of something very pithy (sugar cane or something) and then baked it on high heat if the insides would collapse and pull the skin in a bit? Might give the desired effect....

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

Thanks, TomO. The oven gives me an idea: I wonder if you slit down the stem of something very pithy (sugar cane or something) and then baked it on high heat if the insides would collapse and pull the skin in a bit? Might give the desired effect....

It doesn’t hurt to experiment. Some oven tips. From past experience!

Tell your partner what you are doing.
I always line the pans I bake branches and leaves in with aluminum foil.
Don’t bake too quickly or at too high a heat.
Run the outtake fans over the stove as I would get a earthy type smell as the stuff bakes.
Stir occasionally.
Have fun.

TomO

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  7:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sagebrush, as we know makes good trees, and deadfall. The Butterfly bush and Hydrangeas are all good home garden bushes that can offer good deadfall for modeling. The hydrangea branches are sometimes already hollowed out in the middle. The butterfly bush can easily be hollowed out with a drill bit or modeler picks.
All will look great when carved out in places, and chunks cut away from the bark.
A good source for hollowed out tree ideas and deadfall is taking a look at the war gaming sites. Below is the Sagebrush, Hydrangea, Butterfly bush and Elder wood.
The leaves, sticks, branches, ovens or microwaves, and coffee or spice grinders are all the usual modeling deadfall items to have on hand.
Some materials I use are;
1 - Dead/dry Oak, Birch and soft maple leaves
2 - Cypress Bark Mulch cheep bag. And also a bag of PetsPick natural red cedar bedding.
3 - An old Blender to start, then into spice grinder.
4 - A piece of screen from old screen door to smash ground leaves through, then into kitchen strainer to get finer particles.
I model in HO so I need finer ground items. If you are On30, it doesn't have to be ground as much.
If you don't want to make your own see Coastmans here;https://www.coastmans.com/hollow-logs--birds-nests.html

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 04/28/2020 10:11:01 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dead highbush blueberry twigs look pretty good to me in HO scale.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  2:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys! I have a bunch of those plants in the garden (and in fact just pruned the blueberries recently).

Louis, what's the really pithy one in your fourth picture? Is that the hydrangea?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  2:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

Thanks, guys! I have a bunch of those plants in the garden (and in fact just pruned the blueberries recently).

Louis, what's the really pithy one in your fourth picture? Is that the hydrangea?

That fourth picture above is a Sambucus-canadensis_otherwise known as an Elderberry bush/plant. It grows here in the Northeast USA. Don't know if you have it there. You my have seen it, and never knew what it was. Plant and twigs shown below.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh cool. We call it Elderflower here, but it's pretty common (and there's even some in my back garden).

Cheers,
Jeff.

elliott-maine
Section Hand

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  3:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you live someplace with White Pines, they are self pruning and have stubs of branches either left on the trees or on the ground. Usually the bark has fallen off and they are weathered.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  5:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sAVE YOURSELF SOME WORK! Scenic Express has a bag of fall debris, looks perfect... when blended with what you already have'...

Ted

Previous Topic: HO Shed Under Construction Topic Next Topic: Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000