Railroad Line Forums - D&RGW
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 226 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 D&RGW
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Louís method_Making HO Scale wooden shake shingles  

FloridaSteamer
New Hire

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  12:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told my 1/20th scale coal tipple has the wrong size and shape bolts and nuts. They couldn't tell me the correct size and I can't remember what they were to start with. It had been sitting up for a few years after it was damaged and now that I have what seems like a lot of time on my hands I figured I would try and repair it. I want to make sure I get it right as I bought it finished before I damaged it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  06:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you know which D&RGW structure it's a model of? Anything that still exists on the Durango & Silverton or Cumbres & Toltec has been photographed a million times. If it isn't a model of a real structure, the bolts and nuts are much less important.

pingjockey
New Hire

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many photos of the Chama coal tipple on line. If you look at images.google.com and search for "chama coal tower" you will find many photos. One that stands out to me is https://markpaulson.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/cats-coaltower-chama_nm-5-dec-2009-000-2592x3888.jpg. It is a large very detailed photo.

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could provide us with a picture of your tipple, we may be able to identify some orig. construction drawings which would include the N-B-W and any tie rod sizes. The picture would help us identify the correct tipple you have constructed.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

FloridaSteamer
New Hire

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  8:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry for the very late response but I have been dealing with multiple medical issues and all has been complicated due to being hit from behind. I am trying to catch up but it is going slowly..

FloridaSteamer
New Hire

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  8:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is definitely the Chama tower...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  09:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The Florida Steamer said, "I was told my 1/20th scale coal tipple has the wrong size and shape bolts and nuts. They couldn't tell me the correct size."

If it's a garden RR stand back 5 feet and who cares. If it's a modular layout like the Sundance Central tell them to stand back 5 feet. What's the big deal if you've got 2" or 2-1/2" bolts at 1/20.3 you're talking a cat's whisker in size difference.

Frank

Topic Next Topic: Louís method_Making HO Scale wooden shake shingles  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000