Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's Lounge Volume 27
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's Lounge Volume 27
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Family Farm
Page: of 86

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  10:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thanks for the coffee. Glad to hear that your a loyal Wegmans shopper; me too.

Mike hope the mower works out for you. We're going to heat up next week again; yuk!

Karl our dealerships are by appointment only. Most of the local ones seem to have a decent inventory; of course my vehicle I've had only 2 years so won't be in the market for one for a long time. My mechanic is a stand alone business so I don't have to deal with dealerships.

Jerry Bench day perhaps ?

Tom hope that you are feeling better today.

Mid 70's today and rain so no outside work. The cat has a Vets apt. today for his yearly checkup; hopefully the Vet doesn't complain about his weight. Although he is one happy cat. Not much else going on and hopefully will get my lumber order soon.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  07:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone.

Coffee, hot water for tea and a variety of cold sodas are ready to go.

Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84.
Got to take these weather reports with a grain of salt.
All the rain that was predicted yesterday never materialized.
All we had has a thunderstorm in the early evening that brought some rain.

Tom, Hope the doc visit went well and the shipment arrived safely.

Karl, glad you slept well and had a nap.

Mike, mower?

Larry, hope the vet visit went well.

Things a work got a lot worse yesterday.

Have a great day everyone.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  08:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Rick, et al.

Sunny and mid 50s going to ~80+ with 0% rain chance today.

I did more tree work yesterday and a couple other jobs. Have a big one ahead today, finally tracked down an odor to a dead freezer....I wil be dealing with that today Not used a lot but there will be some ooze in there I'm sure that won't be fun to deal with. We kept blaming it on either a expired rodent or the cat's, my favorite scapegoats

TomO, hope things are ok. You've a railroad to build, son!

Good day all, heat returning in a couple days so it will be good to get the task ahead over with soon.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

Rick thanks for the coffee.

Sounds like you had a bad day at the trains?

Karl good luck with the freezer!!

Tom hope you feel better.

Another cloudy morning in South Jersey 71.
Suppose to have sun later on.

The grandkids are still here for a couple of days with us. The parents left this morning.
The beach later maybe...

Work continues on side number 12.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  09:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks,

Rick, thanks for coffee. I hope today is a smoother day at work.

Larry, installed a tune up kit which included a fuel pump and the lawn mower purrs like a kitten. I finished up the outdoor tasks for now.

Karl, good luck with the freezer. I have had to clean one out before. I'm thinking lots of Clorox.

Jerry, have fun at the beach!

Dog days of August continue.

Getting a load of wood to finish my garden shed/cabinet this morning. I see splinters in my future.

Have fun and stay safe,
mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning,

Rick thanks for the coffee. The Vets visit went well; he's very healthy except we need to get some weight off him. So I'll try and play with him daily and cut back his food a little. Hope work straightens out for you.

Karl I agree with Mike; using clorox will kill the bacteria, smelly stuff, but will need to be completely rinsed and left open to air out. Good luck!

Jerry enjoy the grandkids and keep on building.

Mike sounds like you know what your doing with the mower; I'd be lost trying to do that. I figure that it's not a wood project unless I get some splinters in my hands.

Tom hope your feeling better today.

Bought the parts yesterday so I'm starting the siding on the garage today. Low 80's today then we start heating back up as well.

Have a great day guys.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  07:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone.

Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.

It was a bad day for the whole RR.
10 of the biggest (most overtime) jobs were abolished.
This means 20 conductors with a lot of seniority are in pick and there's going to be a lot of bumping again.
It will eventually roll down to me.
We still don't know if we're going back to a regular week day schedule or stay on a weekend one.
What happens to the trains that these 10 crews ran?
What happens to the ticket collectors that worked these trains?
Should have some answers by end of day.

Have a great day everyone.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  07:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that the reason for abolishing the jobs is because we don't have enough engineers.
This has been an ongoing problem the past three years.
The company didn't keep up with hiring and training.
Takes two to three years to get an engineer ready.
Last weekend over 40 trains were canceled because of no engineers.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

Rick thanks for opening and the coffee.

Wow that is some sad news! I sure hope all these extra people find jobs.
What effect will this have on you?? As far as not losing your job??

Weather in South Jersey sunny/78. Later/85.

Another beach day for sure were down to 2 grandkids that stayed after everyone else left.
One is staying with us the other with her girlfriends at a beach house.

Work continues on the Mill.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  09:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny, 75 and going to ~90 with 75% humidity.

Quite a quandary your outfit has on their hands, Rick. Seems that in so many facets of current life there are no answers, just questions. Wish you well in the fall out. Are they down so many engineers due to attrition? Retirements, etc., or the virus.

I recently read this
quote:

It’s stunning to realize it . Not a single person that’s involved in creating and making and enforcing policy on this is gonna be affected by it the way most people who are affected by it are affected. They’re not gonna lose their jobs. They’re not gonna suffer a loss in compensation. Therefore they’re not gonna be kicked out of their homes or their apartments. They’re not going to starve. They’re not gonna miss any meals. They’re not gonna be unable to get in their car, go wherever they want to go. They’re not gonna be unable to get on an airplane and go wherever they want to go.

The freezer project made great strides yesterday but has to be dealt with in short segments. I'm sorry to announce, we'll not be having turkey today, if ever, again.

80 with 100% humidity in the UP this morning and t-storms a chance.

Everyone have a good day.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 08/09/2020 09:41:26 AM

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,

Rick thanks for the coffee. Wow, the RR sounds like a mess with their personnel. Hope you make out ok in this situation. Maybe the company will offer you an early retirement package.

Jerry enjoy the beach and keep going on your current build.

Karl sounds like turkey was the culprit. Keep plugging away at it ; you'll get it done. If I never had turkey again I'd be fine with that.

Going into the upper 80's here in Central NY and back into the 90's starting tomorrow. Working on the garage front until I can't stand the heat anymore, then maybe some bench time latter this afternoon.

Have a great day guys.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  10:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks,

Rick, thanks for coffee. Work does sound like a mess. When I read your post, I had exactly the same questions. Good luck to you.

Jerry, the beach sounds like fun, as usual.

Karl, good luck with the freezer. The weather up there sounds unpleasant. When does it break for fall?

Larry, good luck with the garage front. I know the heat can get you.

101F here again today. When I work outside, it is in one hour segments. I think I'll work in the shop today (A/C).

Have fun and stay safe,
mike

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from the deck in Wisconsin. High 95 real and 100+ heat index. Tired of being house bound from COVID19 but also doctor’s orders until we hopefully have the lab results on Monday. Exhaustion and fatigue for no apparent reasons suck. They are 98% sure it’s not COVID.

The large scale was delivered and unloaded, I have not been down to see it. When I dealt with the estate the sale had “MOL” 500’ of track. MOL means more or less, it was more, lots more per the SIL. 500 sticks of 10’ more, which means per the SIL we need more ROW and ties. Not for awhile or until the doctors work their voodoo skills. Also, a couple more ride on gondolas and 8 switches instead of 4 and 12 frogs to make our own, none of which was listed on the estate inventory. When I went there last summer I was not told of any extras. Seems my really great deal is better then expected. Enjoy your day.

Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  02:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone.

Mostly sunny, with a high near 93.

Sorry for causing some confusion and using RR terminology that doesn't always mean the same in regular usage.
Nobody is out of work.
Substitute the word assignment for job.
So those guys whose assignments were abolished will pick another assignment that is currently held by someone with less seniority than them.
Then those people will do the same thing to people with less seniority.
And so it goes till it reaches the newest hires.
I'm in no danger of losing my job.
There is always that chance that I will be bumped and have to pick another assignment.

Karl, it's a combination of them not hiring and training engineers fast enough and many have retired recently.

Larry, all the guys my age and older would love to hear them an early retirement package, but I'm not counting on it.

Hope everyone has a great day.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overnight storm I guess, slept thru it, but it's going to be one of those H days, Hot 'n Humid.

Prep day for tomorrow's return North. Lots to do. Just need ambition, TomO, that stuff is symptomatic of the times and our ages. Everyone have a good day.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
The Spartan Line

Page: of 86 Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Family Farm  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000