Railroad Line Forums - Crown Mill Pizza Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 261 ]  [ Total: 271 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Crown Mill Pizza Layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: The Cy Mining Company
Page: of 3

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  12:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

in this thread I plan to describe the construction of my micro layout "Crown Mill". Matching the current lock down I want to build this model from materials I find in my hobby room. This shouldn't be too difficult, because over the years a lot of things have accumulated there.

More to follow.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A pleasant afternoon cutting wood and glueing yielded this result:

Track planning was easy. The only HOn30 track I had on hand was some flextrack. So I formed a circle, soldered the ends together and connected two pieces of wire. Things can't get much easier.

Rummaging in cupboards and on shelves resulted in this collection of buildings. A little trial and error resulted in this possible arrangement.

That's it for the first day.

Martin

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  7:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  05:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weather was fine here so there wasn't too much progress.

Grandt Line's Mill was repaired and the foundation was created using some Heki fieldstone sheets. Weathering the track has begun.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a great start Martin!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great way to spend you're quarantine time, Martin. I think a lot of us have enough stuff laying around to build small layout. You might inspire others to do the same. It will be interesting to see what you create.

George

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start. Have fun.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  12:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Day three: built two tunnel portals, weathered some structures and experimented with placement of mill.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  02:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Martin.
The CV19 lockdown, just means more modelling time. Great idea.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  03:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got my attention.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In more than one sense this was a step backwards

This finished company house fell to the floor while testfitting. Before I noticed I took one step back and crrk!

Besides that not much presentable progress. I'm working on the scenery profile which turns out to be quite a challenge. Hopefully this will be done by tomorrow.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sucks! Hopefully it is repairable.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  2:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tyson, yes I think I will be able to fix it.

For now I'm preparing the scenery shell:

The arrangement of buildings is done. Using several pieces of foam board I started to create the formers and the sites for all the structures.
Now the fun can begin. Creating the shell and the scenery.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sorry to hear about your misstep, been there done that. Well almost that.

Frank

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2020 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few days without updates but some progress has been made:

After putting in the formers and the bases for the buildings I roughed in the shape of the scenery. First a web of thin cardboard strips was created. Cereal boxes would be a good source for that.

Then I cut a pile of small paper strips, about 1" x 3" from newsprint. Glueing these onto the cardboard web with diluted white glue resulted in a strong basic shell. Three layers were glued on crosswise.

Next step will be finishing the fascia.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: The Cy Mining Company  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000