Railroad Line Forums - Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 10-4-20
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 197 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 10-4-20
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4
Page: of 22

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've made some progress. My usual technique of cardstock over black foam core. And some basswood stirred in.

I don't usually do it this way but this time I did the whole front wall as one piece and then cut out the center section.

Then the side walls for the center section. And end walls were done.

And an addition on the south side.

I added the two oblong openings on either side of the door this morning. I believe there were windows there.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  2:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the walls are done and primed. This thing has turned into a monster.

And her backside.

Currently working on the front door and side windows.

This is the amount of info I have to work with, except in the text it says originally it was double doors. In 1949 it was changed to a single door but the side windows remained the same. So that's what I'm attempting.

Another minor change is eliminating the door on the right side of the extension and changing it to a window. I believe the extra door was a later modification.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you've got a lot done.

I don't know how I missed the Aug 2 entry...?

Are you keeping the yellow body/white trim scheme?

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Carl!!

When they were talking about the 1949 renovations they mention that the original color was yellow/white. So I'm staying with that. They did also say that "at some point" (no date given) that the house was painted white with green "shades". I don't know if they meant trim or shutters, which are green now. But it's a nice complimentary color.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  6:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The White house looks fairly straightforward from the front. But then go around back, and it gets very interesting. Itís looking great!

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  7:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another wonderful build coming up!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  11:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Jerry and Ray!!

The rear of the house is more interesting. I know that the back porch was turned into a den. There may be more that was added on, I don't know.

Also, I thought the windows on this house were rather plain Jane, especially after the Holt house, but on further review there is a lot more than first meets the eye. I adjusted the contrast on this to try and hi-lite the detail.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  11:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice work! The rear of the house has a lot of appeal. Another beauty in the making!

David Guffey

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  11:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The building has an interesting shape. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the window frame.

George

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave and George!!

I did the peaked window first, it's one of a kind and the trim appears to be different than the others. Then tried one of the others. Of course neither window is painted yet and just sitting in place. It's as hard to see the details on it as it is the prototype. I think it's doable, not easily, but what is.

I only have to duplicate it 14 more times. Just for the windows with that type of trim.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  2:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice quick work, Fred. As always, with you!!

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That trim looks nice. However I think more than one part of the horizontal trim at the top of the window is missing on the prototype. I believe a narrow horizontal piece is missing from the bottom edge and that the circles should be complete.

Mike

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  7:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rich!!

Mike, I took a closer look at another window and I think I can almost see what you're saying.
It does make sense. Thanks for the input. Good thing I haven't done all 15 yet.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So that's where that statue ended up.

Fred you're off to a good start as usual.

Frank

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000