Railroad Line Forums - Champ Decal Setting Solution Warning!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Champ Decal Setting Solution Warning!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday morning lounge  

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

Beware of the plastic bottle of Champ Decal-Setting solution ... it is extremely brittle. One just cracked all over me like a new egg. And of course it was full….

Good stuff, but if you have any I strongly recommend that you very carefully decant this into a clean paint bottle with a screw-top cap. And yes, label the container!

This sort of thing can and does happen to all kinds of aging plastic containers, so be careful!

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  08:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar thing happened to me with a bottle of airbrush cleaner a couple nights ago. I transferred half of that to a different bottle, dropped the plastic bottle of cleaner, and the bottle broke in 2, dumping cleaner all over the floor. (Well, the floor was dirty so wiping up the spill did have a beneficial side effect...)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decal setting solution.....white vinegar.
Airbrush cleaning solution.....automotive windshield wiper fluid not the de-icing variety. A gallon about two bucks.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 02/24/2020 08:46:43 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Decal setting solution.....white vinegar.
Airbrush cleaning solution.....automotive windshield wiper fluid not the de-icing variety. A gallon about two bucks.

Jim

Good suggestions.... Thanks.

I may have used the wrong verb in my original description, too… it didn’t "crack” as much as it disintegrated into little pieces the way old, brittle plastic does….

Solvaset still works, and is still good, but it wasn’t dealing with the decals well, as I think Accurail used a thick decal paper for this round of car numbers. So on a suggestion from one of “Them as Knows,” I tried the Champ stuff. I’m now hunting for clean glass botles with screw caps… may have some in the store or The Stash for use with airbrush mixes….

Pete
in Michigan

Pete

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  10:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can, look for bottles with these compression seals in the caps! These will keep just about anything that model RR'ers might use safely and long term.

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  10:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good plan!

Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000