Railroad Line Forums - Valentine's Day 2020
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Valentine's Day 2020
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: East Broad Top Railroad has been purchased Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  06:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll open. Coffee, sweethearts, bagels and cinnamon buns... I'm actually on the road, back in Northern VA for a friend's retirement lunch. We worked closely together for at least 15 years.

East Broad Top RR is planning a big announcement for 11:00 today. It sounds like good news, maybe they'll be open this summer.

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  07:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Dave and later arrivals. The NH seacoast is well below freezing and will get much colder tonight, maybe the coldest this year (but here it won't get below 0F). But the sun gets higher every day and sends warmth through my windows earlier.

Before we go out to dinner, I'll be detailing a removable scenery section downstairs where it's warm.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  07:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Valentines Day al!

Thanks for the early start, Dave. Enjoy the visit with friends.

Here in Mid Michigan there appears to be a break in the cloudy dominance and the temperature is a whopping 3 degrees! On the West shore of the state there is snow from the lake effect and slightly warmer, balmy 13-15 beach weather along there.

Pretty well finished up the Baldwin for the memory of our group member that passed away. I have plenty other projects to do, I spent some time trying to visualize putting in some scenery to at least get some color along a good bit of layout real estate. We have the Doll's daughter and family coming over later today so there is a tizzy afoot as we can't appear to live like normal around here for company.

We had a pretty fair sized hawk that sat in the pine tree a bit and apparently took it's pick of the muliplicity of diet feasting on the feeder. I wich he'd run off the fat thievin' squirrel, apparently a runaway from the circus with his acrobatics at ripping off the seeds.

The snow quit mid day yesterday so I did get out and clear off the driveway while the Doll ran to town.

Just another day of winter here, everyone enjoy their day.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone on this cold morning of 16 degrees but not much snow. We are having a division meeting tonight itís a pizza awards party with movies and Whatever. Putting nailers between the studs before the dri-wall for the layout. Time to get things done see you later. Tom

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all, thanks for opening up Dave. Have fun at the retirement party. It's -6 here in Partly Sunny N.E. Indiana this morning.

My eBay special 'sound decoder' arrived from New Jersey in the mail yesterday. I ripped the shell off an old Stewart/KATO F7 that has been on the shelf for years, and started doing the install around 2000. By 2200, I had it back together, fully operational and pretty happy with the $29 + tax that I paid for it. It's an XL Systems decoder with an 18mm speaker. They showed two varieties on eBay with it looks like the speaker mounted to the circuit board,  one with a detached speaker.  Brought the old F7 back to life.

Heading down to the scenery project yet again today.

Have a Super day!

Jim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from S.E. Michigan where the sun is shining. We had the coldest night of the winter, with a low of -3 degrees.

This is our last full day with Great Granddaughter Aubrey. They will head back to Christiansburg, VA tomorrow morning.

We are heading over to a Micro Center store to pick up a Raspberry Pi micro computer. My grandson uses them to control cameras around the house and wants one or two more. I read an article last year in MRH magazine of uses of the Raspberry Pi in model railroading, so maybe I'll pick one up, too. They are quite inexpensive.

Since I will be modeling logging in western PA near the oil fields, I decided to model an oil derrick. I have many Campbell kits on the shelf, the the derrick was not one of them. Looking on eBay, I found one for $9.99 with free shipping. Even if it shows up missing some wood, its worth the price.

Have a great day!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  08:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Dave and crew. It's in the low 40's in Tidewater Virginia. I guess Pat and I are going for a walk later this morning.

We had an interesting meeting at the club last night. The owner of Scale Trains was there and he gave a presentation on how he started the company and shared interesting information on running a model manufacturing company. We watched a video of a tour of his manufacturing plant in China. The World's Greatest Hobby and Greenberg are in town for a show this weekend and Scale Trains has a display there.

I'll be at the show this weekend helping at the NMRA table. My challenge is not to spend any money.

Have a good day.
George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

12, feels like +1, headed to 17 and overcast here in the northern mitten. There are little sucker holes in the cloud blanket, there's blue sky above, and we had just enough snow last night to require removing ice from the car before it can hit the road. Oh... and with the temperature drop came the ritual low-pressure warning light in the car on the way home yesterday. So I need to do some pumping, too....

Thrill a minute around here today. Blood check, then PT, a haircut and some grocery shopping, along with some left-over admin from yesterday's festivities. With that done, though, it's rail time!

Make it a great day, All, count your blessings, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from the shores of Lake Michigan on the south eastern side of Wisconsin. Just dropped Terry off at the hospital to see her brother while I am at a Firestone waiting for them to check the tires. The check tire light popped on a few miles before the hospital, so they are checking. Thankfully free. We are here to visit the brother who had the tube removed for breathing last night and they know now after a week that he is not paralyzed. Doctor mistake as a normal procedure nicked the BILís spinal cord.

Enjoy your day
TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  2:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the EBT announcement: https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2020/02/14-east-broad-top-sold-plans-full-operations-by-2021 This sure sounds like the Best Possible Outcome for the railroad!!

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  2:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, what era are you modeling again? Derricks from the teens and 20s in the east don't look like the more modern ones in the west. http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/Cable/walking.html

(Roger Malinowski did a great kit for one like this in O Scale, I couldn't talk him into doing one in HO. The challenge will be the hardware at the top of the derrick. If anyone has done this in HO - 3d printed- let me know as I'd love to buy a couple!!)

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  6:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, while you are waiting for that Tartan box...
https://visualtravels.com/west-kern-county-oil-museum-tower-derrick

We stopped ther a couple of years ago, and it was amazing to see the construction and size of one of these from the well head looking up. Right there in "There will be blood" country near Maricopa, CA.

Jim

Previous Topic: East Broad Top Railroad has been purchased Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000