Railroad Line Forums - Taps on power bus?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Taps on power bus?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route Topic Next Topic: PSX-1 Circuit breakers and signalling  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  3:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using insulation displacement "suitcase" connectors (IDC) to tap the power bus lines (14 gauge) for the track feeders. But I've been having real problems installing the IDC, apparently the insulation on my wire is too tough and the metal bar that's supposed to part the insulation and connect the wires isn't making good/even contact.

Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation for alternatives? My track bus is already installed, and does not have enough slack in it to cut the bus in multiple places to add in taps that break the wire. So I'm stuck with something that can make a T connection into the bus wires.

Thanks in advance!

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  5:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cut the bus and strip; Twist each end with feeder and attach a wire nut.

Ray

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  5:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've cut the insulation off a short segment in the middle of a wire and soldered/taped. But one thing about a buss, if it isn't nailed to the framework too vigorously, you can just start cutting and wire-nutting, and when you get to the end and it doesn't go far enough, splice a foot or two of new wire in.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  9:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wire stripper that cuts the insulation then spreads it a quarter to half an inch and allows me to attach a wire and solder it. Harbor Freight and other sell similar devices. It works well for me on my power buss.

Here is a short video of a Klein cutter, mine from Harbor Frt is orange and works on the same principle. Not sure on the adjustable extras, HF didn't 'splain that part....The second part he shows is what I use for my layout dcc buss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQio2EqkOs

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 02/14/2020 07:57:00 AM

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  01:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I think I have one of those tools you describe. It does just what you say, cuts the insulation and spreads it away from the cut to allow soldering. Although the tool is actually meant to strip the insulation from the end of a wire, It works just as well making a naked wire in the middle to allow soldering.

BTW, Where's the video of the Klein cutter?

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nortonw

Karl,

I think I have one of those tools you describe. It does just what you say, cuts the insulation and spreads it away from the cut to allow soldering. Although the tool is actually meant to strip the insulation from the end of a wire, It works just as well making a naked wire in the middle to allow soldering.

BTW, Where's the video of the Klein cutter?

Good question...

My inner Homer Simpson dropped the ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQio2EqkOs

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 02/14/2020 07:58:16 AM

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I go with the wire stripper all the time. Offset the soldering spots.

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  8:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thoughts. Soldering the existing bus is just not feasible, there would be too much contortion and even lying on my back. If I have to go that route, I'll rip out the bus and redo the whole thing from scratch.

But I forgot I had a tool to crimp the suitcase connectors, maybe that'll give me better luck. (Getting old and forgetting things sucks, it's been well over a year since I touched wiring.)

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2020 :  3:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I -forgot- I bought a tool to crimp suitcase connectors! Once I found that, my problems installing the IDCs went away. https://www.amazon.com/ScotchLok-Connector-Klein-Tools-D234-6/dp/B000JCRW0A

Getting old sucks...

dave

Greg@mnrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  12:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deemery: I'm so old that I forgot that I was old!!!

I like using the IDC's and I use a channel locks to close the IDC's. Using the IDC's sure beats soldering for older modelers.

Greg

The Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad

Est. 1983

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  8:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave.....Try Amazon for the following. May be available from other sources :
Posi-Tap Blue (10) Inline Wire Connectors 14,16, GA, AWG, Electrical Fastener,

GULF COAST & WESTERN

Previous Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route Topic Next Topic: PSX-1 Circuit breakers and signalling  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000