Railroad Line Forums - A Very-Very "WICKED WANDA'S"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A Very-Very "WICKED WANDA'S"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lou’s L&R RR President Automotive Car Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills Wicked Wanda
Page: of 11

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

[B]A VERY-VERY “WICKED WANDA’S”[B]

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  3:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the first time I saw Wanda’s it was love at first sight. The building has such character and charm wrapped up in a small package. Art Fahie of Bar Mills Scale Model Works produced this kit from Pete Willstein’s original model.

To build my model I started with an HO model made by Karl Ohlinski some time ago. Somehow Mario of Down Under fame acquired the model and then he then shipped it to The Suncoast Center For Fine Scale Modeling in Odessa, FL for display. I took Karl’s HO model home and measured it with my calipers. Then I took those dimensions and multiplied them by 87 and divided it by 12. That gave me the actual measurement in feet and decimal inches.

Nice job Karl.

In my CAD program I drew Wanda’s in 1:1 scale. Then copied it and scaled that drawing down by a factor of 0.04926 the “F-Scale” conversion. Scaling down from 1:1 to HO scale is 0.01149. It may sound complicated but once you do it it’s very easy to do since the computer does all the hard work.

On the right is my 1:1 drawing and on the left is the 1:20.3 drawing almost invisible here.

Now zoomed into the 1:20.3 portion of the drawing you can see the various components of the drawing I’ll be using to make my Wanda’s.

This will be “Super Sized and Very-Very Wicked Wanda’s”. All 22-1/4” tall and a foot print of 11-3/4” x 15-3/4” of her. The under frame material is 1/8” plywood. It has been cut with tabs and slots to facilitate construction alignment much the same way Bar Mills does their construction

Then it was off to the Center and Dave to laser cut the parts.

The walkway supports were also made from 2 layers of 1/8” plywood. The posts will then come out to a scale 5” square. They were made to attach the supports in an interlocking “Z” fashion for more gluing strength at the joint.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/08/2020 4:02:51 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked like Double D scale at first there with Elvira..Mistress of the Dark....

Interesting project. I have the HO kit it was a fun build.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, quite a story behind how you developed those plans. This will be an impressive model in 1:20.3!

Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  4:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Does Elvira come with it?
That is some creative measuring to get what you wanted.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  4:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  4:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, looking at the laser cut model, your drawings are spot on. I have as much fun designing structures with my computer as I do building them.

George

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  5:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you find an appropriate figure....

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  6:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a BIG beautiful thing.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  7:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always liked this structure. I will be following along to see what you do with it.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  9:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great math work Frank. If I was trying to figure that out I would have emailed you!!

This should really be a interesting build.

Is there room on the Sundance or our you making the RR bigger?

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  06:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a figure available from Flintstone in 1/24 scale

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  09:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there you go. She can be the little head mistress.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  10:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, it looks wickedly big & wickedly fun!

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  10:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, yes this is the Dbl-D scale kit. But it wonˇ¦t be such a fun build. The bigger you make them the more detail you have to pour into them.

Bruce, Iˇ¦ve been doing models that way since getting into Fn3 and the Sundance Central. As a surveyor I worked with scale in my drawings all the time. So this is a piece of cake.

Louis, Elvira may have to step aside. Another simpler way is to use an HO scale ruler.

Thanks Craig.

George, I hear yaˇ¦, I started Wreckerˇ¦s Reef to have a switching layout but I got more interested in creating structures.

Thanks Larry.

Thanks Carl, it is big.

Itˇ¦s a classic Rich.

Jerry, there will be some adjustments made to fit her in there. A tree here, a water tank there. No really thatˇ¦s what weˇ¦re moving.

Ah Bob to the rescue. When I saw that I did a search and yikes not in my budget. Sorry.

Greg, just plain wicked would be enough.

Louis and others, sorry to disappoint you all.

But, sad to say it's not going to be a house of ill-repute. I thought that would be a fun way to introduce it. We have one of those such accommodations on the SC already. It's over the pool hall. The very-very part I was referring to was for the super sized building. I apologize for the tease. In reality it'll be a section house. I know so boring.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/09/2020 10:36:01 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Louis and others, sorry to disappoint you all.

But, sad to say it's not going to be a house of ill-repute. I thought that would be a fun way to introduce it. We have one of those such accommodations on the SC already. It's over the pool hall. The very-very part I was referring to was for the super sized building. I apologize for the tease. In reality it'll be a section house. I know so boring.

Louis

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Lou’s L&R RR President Automotive Car Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills Wicked Wanda  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000