Railroad Line Forums - Airbrushing
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 194 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Airbrushing
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge  

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  08:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys. I've been using an ancient Badger siphon feed airbrush and badger compressor I bought sometime in the early 80s. I'm at a point where I'd like to replace the airbrush with a gravity feed. I don't air brush a lot so I don't need to break the bank getting one. I'm looking at Iwata, maybe an elclipse or NEO. Any advice? Should I replace the compressor as well?
Thanks
Rick

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  09:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Paasche airbrush with Badger compressor for many years with great performance.
An air brush is a personal choice, so you have to read all individual information, then decide what your looking for in a spray airbrush. The compressors are all about the same and there is no need to change out compressors if yours works fine. Just my thoughts here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My suggestion is similar to Louisís. Study. However Badger has 2 days left on the 56th birthday celebration for the owners b-day. Check out the $56.00 offerings at their site. Every manufacturer does have good air brushes, so do some digging and good luck.

TomO

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Iwata Eclypse and the small Iwata compressor and am very happy with them. I have a Neo model still in the box that has a gravity feed then a trigger more like an autoshop spray rig. I bought it on a whim as I liked the trigger concept,but haven't felt the need to try it out yet. I have more projects in the works and may try it out sometime.

I really am a big advocate of the gravity feed now that I'm using it, I never had good luck with the 'suck it up a tube' of the siphon style. I use small amounts of paint at a time with the gravity feed and am able to get it to the last drop.

Using the coupons for Hobby Lobby have shaved lots off of the initial costs for me.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 01/30/2020 09:58:01 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

I've had my trusty Paasche H1 (made in Chicago) since 1968. Bought and sold an Iwata NEO after 2 uses, didn't like it. I've put lacquer based, oil based, and acrylics through the Paasche. Keep 'em clean, shoot at 20-24 psi, and it'll out live me.

Jim

ps I see Michaels carries the Paasche H with all 3 types in a kit, H1, H2, H3. You could paint quite a variety of items with that. With the 40% coupon, a pretty good deal.
https://www.michaels.com/paasche-single-action-h-airbrush-set/D065715S.html

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/30/2020 10:41:27 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are an NMRA member, this supplier will give you 45% off MSRP on Badger air brushes, etc.

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/

You just need to go to the Members Side of the NMRA website to get the particulars.

Bruce

Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000