Railroad Line Forums - Louís Skid Shacks Construction- 2020 Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Louís Skid Shacks Construction- 2020 Challenge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Catís Head Pier Topic Next Topic: . Detail associates Roundhouse kitbash
Page: of 4

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  7:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this Carpenter Shop Cabins diorama by Jeff Johnson some Months back (First picture), and was inspired to build my own loggers skid shacks construction diorama, using the Long Bell Lumber Company type of skid shacks for my project (Second set of pictures). The last picture shows the land form I have to work with is only 8-1/4Ē x 5-1/4Ē. I will be making three (3) skid shacks. Examples left to right, like the first three construction phases of the cabins, in Jeff Johnsonís diorama.
I started with my foam base footprint, and painted it with my railroad ground color paint. For anyone interested, the color I use is Tortoise 86-587-7605 whatever those numbers mean, thatís what the paint store mixes up for me. (Last picture)

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  9:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, this looks like another fun project to follow along with, so count me in again.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  11:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, this looks like another fun project to follow along with, so count me in again.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg, I can always count on your comments, suggestions and thoughts.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  11:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I going to start with the ground cover over the foam base. I use a Moss colored Mat from Lemax that I get at Michaels stores, it works well as the start of all my forest wooded area ground cover. I get mine in a box #14397. However, this item can be had in rolls from Lemax in the Moss and Green grass colors. See numbers below.
After the moss mat dries using white glue, Iíll take Pets Pick Red Cedar bedding, and chop it up into finer wood chips to spread over the Moss mat as a second layer. Then sprinkle Woodland Scenics weeds and infield dirt here and there. When all that is dry Iíll post the finished ground cover picture.

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  5:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Count me in to. I'll be stopping by the work shop now and then to check up how you're coming along.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  6:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Count me in to. I'll be stopping by the work shop now and then to check up how you're coming along.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I enjoy you being there with me, as I hammer away at this project.

Louis

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  9:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, those coffee bean grinders work wonders for us modelers'..This looks like a real fun project coming up for you'...I'm staying tuned'

ted :<)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  07:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  09:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Iíll be following along as well. Youíve already grabbed my attention with your method for scenery.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/15/2020 09:17:52 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Louis, those coffee bean grinders work wonders for us modelers'..This looks like a real fun project coming up for you'...I'm staying tuned'

Thanks Ted. Yes, this coffee grinder has been great for chopping up wood shavings, sticks, leaves and foam, turning them into great HO scale items.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  10:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

Iíll be following along as well. Youíve already grabbed my attention with your method for scenery.

Mike

Thanks Mike G.

Thanks Mike H., I don't use this method all over my layout, however, for any of my logging area work, I found this item to be great for a forest ground cover starter. Quick & Easy start at making the scenery. Thanks for liking!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling going on around here!
Glad you like the Moss Mat idea Mike.
Here is a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like, after doctoring it up a bit.

Here we have the Land Surveyor checking out the plot of land for the skid shacks.
I glued down the Moss mat layer over the painted foam, then sprinkled Woodland Scenics weeds of different colors, and used infield dirt here and there over the Moss Mat.
I then spread a mixture of Ground Goop over the front edge of the foam to look like dirty mud. (This area when put into place on the layout, will be alongside a dirt road).
For those of you that want the recipe of the Ground Goop mixture; 1 cup vermiculite (small Particles), 1 cup Celluclay, 1 cup latex paint (dirt color) Ĺ cup white glue, and 1 capful Lysol disinfectant. Mix all ingredients together, and add water if necessary to get the consistency of peanut butter.
The next layer to put down is the chopped-up Pets Pick Red Cedar bedding to appear like a Logged-over forest area.
To follow the complete build see here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52398

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  3:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Moss covered scenic base had lightly scattered wood chips applied to the base cover. Most of the area will be hidden by the Skid Shacks, so I went lightly on that texture. First picture.
The second picture shows the intended placement of the Skid Shacks being built onto the base. Now, to start construction of the first Skid Shack, Iíll start with the #1 finished shack.

Louis

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  10:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a man of many means, Louis. Very interesting indeed. Looking forward to this.

Horton M.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2020 :  09:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandman

You are a man of many means, Louis. Very interesting indeed. Looking forward to this.

Horton M.

Thanks Horton!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2020 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first skid shack will look like the Long Bell Lumber Co. skid shack, picture below.
I started with cutting three (3) skids per skid shack, like the Long Bell Lumber Company shacks had under their skid shacks. I cut a piece of Midwest 1/8 X 1/8 Basswood Strips, 2-1/2Ē long, with 60 degree angle cuts at each end of the skid.
Iím going to use Northeasternís 5/32Ē corner post stock, which simplifies making the corners and also helps in the bracing of the walls, these will be glued onto the end wall sides, then once dried, the roof angle will be cut through the corner post tops to continue the end wall roof angles. The ends and side walls are cut from Midwest 1/16Ē Basswood scribed siding.
I now have to cut out a doorway into one of the side pieces, and cutout windows into the two end sides. (Marked in red) Then the structure will be ready to glue together.

Louis

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Catís Head Pier Topic Next Topic: . Detail associates Roundhouse kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000