Railroad Line Forums - The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: ramparts ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ernie Hoffnagles Place Topic Next Topic: Motor for MDC Shay please.
Page: of 3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  3:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bernd, just a thought...instead of cutting apart the wall into individual stones after casting it,
would it work as well to use a variety of tools (Dremel, hobby knife, small gouge and chisel to slightly change
the faces of stones so they don't look like they did originally? Then you'll have walls that don't look like any
others, but still a solid one piece casting overall?

I didn't state it right as to what I want to accomplish. Here's a picture of the South River Model Works block roundhouse.

Notice the two bottom rows of blocks. They are quite even in size all along the length of the wall. They also seems to stand a bit proud of the stones above. I also want to attain a more balanced look. If they had ever sold individual stone molds I would have bought those and not have to cut the stones from a solid wall casting. It'll be kind of like I did the walls on the rock-crusher, individual blocks.

I refer you to the pictures on the first page of the different vinyl rock wall products. I will be making plaster castings of these and cut out the individual stones to assemble into a master mold. A lot of work? Yup, but I'm hoping I'll be able to attain a look I like.

WWG1WGA

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  4:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, gotcha. I see what you're aiming for.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, it rained very early this morning and the rest of the day is supposed to have some rain so I called a "rain day" to do some modeling. I couldn't decide which project to work on. I decided to work on the master rock mold.

When I left off on the last page I showed how I was going to drill the holes in the Acrylic so they match. What I'm going to show is called match drilling, at least that's what they called it back at work.

First I found what the thickness of the base plate is.

Taking half of that figure, .100", I scribed a short line on where to drill a #50 (.070" dia.) hole in the side panel.

Set up my mini-mill with a #50 drill and drilled a hole .100" from the bottom edge.

Back at the Bridgeport I eye-balled the side plate in from the end and from the back stop. Made sure everything was flush.

Drilled down the full length of the flutes on the drill.

Next I used a center in the drill chuck to hold the tap handle square to the hole and proceeded to tap the hole with hand power.

Open up the #50 hole to a clearance hole for the #2-56 screw and tightened down the side panel.

This allowed me to hold the piece in place with one screw while drilling the second hole.

Holding the side piece against the back stop helps keep everything in alignment.

And the end result. Only three more sides to do.

I know some are thinking this is more work than it's worth, but hey, it's a master mold right?

Bernd

WWG1WGA

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the detailed explanation on how you drilled the acrylic. You make it look easy.

George

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  5:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching "the machinist" closely.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  7:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd.

Where is the "Mr Safety Poster" in that spinning drill bit / finger photo? Glad to see your 'auxiliary' work area is neater than mine. Keep up the great work! It's going to be terrific.

Jim

Take the red pill

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bernd you may do things to "over kill" but they will last a lifetime.

Frank

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2020 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation on how you drilled the acrylic. You make it look easy.

George

Thanks George. It is easy, I just use different tools than everybody is used to using.

CarlB said:

quote:
I'll be watching "the machinist" closely.

Careful you don't get a chip in your eye.

quote:
Bernd.

Where is the "Mr Safety Poster" in that spinning drill bit / finger photo? Glad to see your 'auxiliary' work area is neater than mine. Keep up the great work! It's going to be terrific.

Jim

The Safety Poster is behind the machine where you can't see it. Will detail this project to the "bitter" end.

quote:
Bernd you may do things to "over kill" but they will last a lifetime.

Frank

Thanks Frank. problem is I need several "lifetimes" to get all my projects done.

Ok, final picture of the mold box and wall portion. I haven't decided if I wan to screw the wall down or use silicone sealant. The sealant doesn't stick to the acrylic to good.

I have a second mold box to make. I'll wind up with two of these walls. Then I have several more to make for the other wall sections I want to try and make plaster walls from. In total that'll be 7 more mold boxes. Once the mold boxes are all done I'll order the silicone rubber to pour the molds.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Ernie Hoffnagles Place Topic Next Topic: Motor for MDC Shay please.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000