Railroad Line Forums - Dead Man's Curve Diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Dead Man's Curve Diorama
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The 2020 Group Challenge Main Thread Topic Next Topic: Great Lakes Lighthouse Build
Page: of 3

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  12:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím nearing the completion of my Yorke bordello build and have begun thinking about adding the building to a small scene with a couple of structures that fit in with the decayed appearance of the bordello.

The larger building on the left is the bordello. In the center is what I call the Leaner. I copied one that Laurie Green built. On the right is my version of Yorkeís garage.
Over the past few weeks I been jotting down some notes on the construction of the diorama. Here are a few of them:
1. The size needs to be 2í x 4í or smaller. Anything larger becomes too difficult for me to move.
2. I want to use a base of 1/2Ē plywood on which to attach the foam. I have spent a lot of time on the structures and feel that the plywood will add stability to the module.
3. I plan to use extruded foam for the terrain. It is light weight and easy to modify when I change my mind about something I have done. Itís a mess to work with, but Iíll be working in my garage shop.
4. The foam will be coated with Sculptamold. Itís inexpensive and provides a hard shell that protects the foam and doesnít chip.
5. When I was young there was a wicked curve in the road near to our house that everyone called Deadmanís Curve. I want to try to include a version of that curve.
6. There needs to be a little stream with at least one little bridge.
7. The ground along the road in front of the building with the rotted sidewalk needs to be washed out.
8. This might be a good place to add a version of Earl Smallshawís spilled apples scene.

I think this list will get me started. As I think of more things, Iíll be sure to add them. Maybe I can get some ideas from you, too. I've always appreciated those of you who take the time to show us how you have done things. I hope doing this will serve as a thank you.
Terry Stapleton
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121262945@N06/

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  04:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,
Your project sounds wonderful, I will be following along with great interest.
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

I will be following along with your progress as well. I wish more modelers would document how they build up their structures utilizing the bases, as this portion of constructing a full diorama is foreign to me. I will be looking for input from others as to how this can be accomplished.

Rich

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this sounds like a fun one to watch.

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  3:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've ripped out my share of scenery that just didn't look like I thought it would. I'm sure that with some planning I would have saved myself a lot of time and money. This is a small diorama, but even so I want to think about some things before I jump into the scenery stage. I think the arrangement below will allow me to include the deadman curve road, the stream, and the bridge in a condensed little scene.

But I want the road to be a steep one, much like the ones in these photos:

I particularly like the last one, because of how the side and center of the road has been washed out. I need ideas for that detail, because I plan to wash out my road under part of the Leaner's sidewalk. So I will start raising the buildings on foam blocks until I get levels that I need for a steep road. I decided that I wanted the bordello to be the highest one. It has a lot of appeal that I want the viewers to notice.

I think I may have raised the bordello and leaner about as high as I should. Now I need to spend some time thinking about a couple of problem areas this arrangement will cause. I will have a fairly large area to the right of the bordello to treat. I will also have a large space at the rear of the bordello.

So I am going to walk away from it for a while and think about it a little.

Terry Stapleton

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  7:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far Terry. I like where this is going.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  7:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good ideas being expressed, similar road ideas in a couple of places on my layout but the stuff between my ears often can't seem to come out of my fingers...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your structures look great! following!

Philip

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  8:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

Looking at your proposed layout of the buildings I see some interesting possibilities.

1. Having Dead Mans Curve right in front of the leaner building begs that the building be damaged some by vehicles missing the curve and hitting it. No one goes slowly through DMC, right? You could even have an upside down or wrecked car to the right of the leaner as an example of the recklessness of drivers going through this area.

2. With that much space behind the bordello, to me it would make sense to move it back into that space some,and a little to the left of the module, allowing more space in front of it for the roadway coming out of DMC. In essence you would have an S curve, left in front of the leaner, then right in front of the bordello. Then you have the space to the right of the bordello for road construction and it's associated washouts, which can be on either side of the road, or, if you are of a mind to do so, both sides, and one more reason to miss the curve.

3. With the shift of the bordello towards the back, the stream could come down from behind the bordello, between the bordello and the road, with a divergence in front of the leaner, which is the cause of the rotting sidewalk, and alongside DMC, causing an additional reason to miss the curve. Of course you could also use the space behind it for parking too.

I see this all working with your proposed elevation changes across the module too

This little scenic module is a great way to hone building and mental skills for larger projects and I applaud your plan and planning.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  10:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

I read through Norton's above post several times and I think he has some valid suggestions, but like I said, building from the ground down to the base is still foreign to me. After all, whatever you do has to be pleasing to you eyes, as you are in control.

Part of what I read and can visualize is probably due to the fact that Norton lives in Nevada and can see those types of roads in his locale more often than us. That alone is a good point to ponder.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Rich

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  11:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking. Philip, the leaner and the garage are finished. The bordello still needs a few little detail things added.
Norton and Rich, thank you a whole lot for your thoughts. It's the reason that I decided to post this on here. I have always got good suggestions on how to do things. I hope both of you and others will continue to help me out.

This planning process usually takes me a while. I worked nearly a month on the Tickle Belly module. Nearly every day I moved buildings, made mock ups for ones not built, and raised and lowered them. It helped that I was using sort of using Nott's Charging Moose as a template, but it still took a while.

The Clark Farm module was nearly as bad. It started with the produce structure. I soon decided to add a barn. Then I wanted to recreate a lower level with a path similar to one on my parent's farm when I was younger. In a sense this was harder to build, mostly because I changed my mind so often after I thought I had things finished. I guess that's why I try to plan as much as possible now before I jump into the building of a diorama.

Terry Stapleton

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I have often said to you Terry, your work is superlative'.. I have studied your ideas and the others posted. I think if it was me I would install some type of barrier wall around the structures directly on the DMC. But I would have them damaged somewhat to show that vehicles have impacted them at one point. I think that would be better than damage to the structure, with the exception of a fence and or post being knocked over. Either way, you will create another outstanding diorama'.....Have fun and good luck with this fascinating project'...

ted :<)

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  6:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You stated your working with extruded foam for the terrain, and then coated with Sculptamold.
And also, because of how the side and center of the road has been washed out you need ideas for that detail, because you plan to wash out your road under part of the Leaner's sidewalk. Well my suggestion if I understand what you are asking help for here, is to use Xacto tools like the picture below shows, cutting and carving your foam to shape before covering it with sculptamold.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  7:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, I thought over the years I had bought every gadget and tool known to modelers. Somehow I missed those. They look to be very helpful. Thanks.

Terry Stapleton

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  7:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, I like the damaged wall idea. Coupled with Norton's wrecked car would make an interesting little scene. Maybe I could add Smallshaw's spilled apple cart to that.

We have a lot of Amish here with horses and buggies. And I think I saw Amish figures at Scenic Express the last time I was there. So I think I have the makings for an interesting scene. Thanks for the ideas.

Terry Stapleton

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2020 :  10:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen many Amish "O" scale figures on the market, however for some strange reason not as many Amish HO scale figures.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The 2020 Group Challenge Main Thread Topic Next Topic: Great Lakes Lighthouse Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000