Railroad Line Forums - Devil's Mountain Quarry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Devil's Mountain Quarry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 12

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

SAND SHED, oh for a moment there I thought you said "she shed".

Thanks Frank. Hope my wife doesn't see this and derail my ops Project sand bucket..

Edited by - Philip on 03/05/2020 8:06:27 PM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Started making pieces for the upper sand storage funnel. Fashioned from an old funnel and the wrapper that epoxy sticks come in. bonded together with JB Weld. Left the clear part long and filled it with casting resin to make it rigid. Cut to length after the resin cured. Planning on adding some rivets and bands to enhance the appearance. The delivery tube is a simple 3/16 brake line with a smaller aluminum sleeve made by K & S.

I'm still fiddling with the delivery spout. One piece is a fishing weight and the other spout is a chime from an old mantle clock. Still not happy with the appearance. I'll sleep on it or someone steer me straight!

Philip

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phillip, You're definitely funneling your imagination into a creative use of materials for this project. :)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, I just discovered your thread, and I must say some very fine looking work being done here.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  11:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking out my project, Bill and Greg!

Much appreciated!

Philip

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  9:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I've been in a slump for a bit, and not posting. Glad to see your progress is still going strong Philip. Great idea using that old funnel.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip good to see great ideas just keep pouring out of you!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  10:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Philip,

Man I haven't stopped by in a while. Thought I'd take a slow trip through the shop. Glad I did.

The picture on the second page. Very interesting with those block walls.

Now, that engine house, WOW. I love the framing, makes it look so real. I'll definitely be using that for reference in the future.

I've noticed that many are using copper etchant to simulate rust on aluminum. I've worked with that etchant before making PC boards. I wonder if you dilute it with water if it will not eat up the aluminum at such a fast rate.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  10:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Are you making a sand funnel or a piece culpture?

Frank

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  1:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad your back Louis!

Tyson if I bend over my marble will roll out.

Thanks Carl!

Bernd. Using new etchant I always use about a tennis ball of foil paper first to slow the burn down. Just throw it in and walla....outside always. Nasty stuff!

Frank: Currently I'm making a mess, with many years of practice!

Thanks for looking guys!
Philip

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  9:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made a mock-up of the sand pit area which will connect to the drying house. Will be retrieving the wood pieces and start the glueing process tomorrow. This will be a small drying storage operation without all the bells and whistles. More to come after the wood fuzz removal! What a mess!

Philip

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  10:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sand pit is together. On to the drying house with and elevator. Can't afford the typical pneumatic system. Laborers with shovels and buckets!

10x10 horizontals, 40 each
6x6 verts, 12 each

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 03/14/2020 10:51:36 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2020 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting build Philip!

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2020 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Interesting build Philip!

Thanks Mike!

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000