Railroad Line Forums - Devil's Mountain Quarry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 159 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Devil's Mountain Quarry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 12

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip,

This is some really fine workmanship. Starting with the drawings to the precision construction, it's awesome! Scratchbuild forever!

Jim

Take the red pill

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim!

Jerry they are plastic tichy windows #2014 & doors tichy #2021. The windows come with laser cut plastic panes but are cloudy looking. Recut panes from evergreen clear .010.

Rick, I start with an aamco sheet of aluminum,

https://www.misterart.com/crafts/metal-tooling/sid~72402~/artemboss-embossing-sheet.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhDTlLacyclWvUr-ZUAYZtjumHkAbjbHj1fPgzU3ApbKmohG1o5uNahoCHpAQAvD_BwE

and used this jig made of an old computer ribbon that Fred Miller sent me. Used my thumbnail to make the impression of 5 v roofing. The cool part is the ribbon is almost dead on scale with 1:1 tin.

Then take tin outside to a acid bath sponsored by micromark ferric chloride (nasty stuff).

https://www.micromark.com/Ferric-Chloride-Etchant-16-oz-_2

Later I could never find that exact computer cable so I took an impression of Fred's find and set it in rubber. Due to forum rulz I'll stop there.

These last 2 photos are 10 or 12 years ago. Seems the color and degree of burning has a lot of color variation. Thinking back this may have been Radio Shack etchant.

It's been a great trip here at RLF! Philip

Edited by - Philip on 02/26/2020 8:58:48 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phillip fantastic build.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/27/2020 10:39:01 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  9:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank!

Philip

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip.

I still have some of the RS etchant.
You must have not let them sit in it too long.

What rule breaking?
You sell that jig?
If so, anyone can send Philip an email or PM to inquire about it.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, New etchant will burn the material quickly, The more you do the slower the reaction. I tend to take a golf ball sized piece of aluminum foil and drop it in to slow down the reaction before adding the finished tin pieces.

Finally installed the glass in the window frames.
Fit pretty good for plastic clear acetate.

Advancing a bit!

Philip

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  11:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

This is what can be achieved by leaving the aluminum in for a longer time. Dave was going for a well rotted out look where the smoke would destroy the sheet metal roof over time.

Frank

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that the engine shed is ready I'm looking at plenty of designs for a sand station. I found this drying stove on google books titled coal mines, quite different from ones imagineered in lots of renditions I've looked at. This one was tested at the Panama canal and won the approval of all involved.

Does a backwoods operation really need a huge complicated structure with dryers, hoppers, tower and compressed air for delivery? Looking for alternate designs such as stove and sand buckets budget?

I do think the essential item would be a stove. sand and shelter? Any advise or ideas appreciated.
Philip

Original page here: https://books.google.com/books?id=zGE4AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA516&lpg=PA516&dq=sutton+sand+drying+stove&source=bl&ots=RFZ-mMSRbk&sig=ACfU3U1Y-lYljBP5thxdJIOeaImV1waOGQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL25qzvfrnAhUSnOAKHW_jBgYQ6AEwCXoECA0QAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by - Philip on 03/01/2020 7:36:48 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shed Philip! I don't think a backwoods op like you are going for would have anything fancy to dry sand. Even here where we run as many as five trains a day we buy our sand in bags and pour it in by hand as needed. Even though we are in the mountains here it is amazing how little sand they use.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson!
Another sand dryer I found on line.

Philip

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dryers are pretty neat, Philip.

Did you notice the spelling of Railroad in the ad?

Bruce

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  3:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rallway or Railway, not certain

Philip

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  7:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Rallway or Railway, not certain

Philip

Yes, it could be that the dot above the 'i' has blurred enough to make it look like an 'l'.

Bruce

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  10:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

SAND SHED, oh for a moment there I thought you said "she shed".

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/05/2020 10:31:48 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found a prototype pump and stove. Stove remind me of a barber chair.

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 03/05/2020 4:52:52 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000