Railroad Line Forums - . Detail associates Roundhouse kitbash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 . Detail associates Roundhouse kitbash
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: $25 Kit From Conowingo Models Topic Next Topic: HO Bar Mills Hurst Boilers kit
Page: of 4

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my first 2010 challenge project I decided to build this kit that a friend gave me just a few weeks ago.

I thought I hit the jackpot when it was dropped in my lap but I opened the box to find:

It was missing almost all the board and batten walls, and a good chunk of the stripwood. However there are at least 12 windows and the complete spool of campbell's shingles are there.

The good news is that the instructions and templates are all there.
After studying the instructions and the leftover contents I think the previous owner built the kit as a two stall instead of three, which would explain why all the wall parts are missing but there is still quite a bit of the strip wood.
My plan is to build a single stall enginehouse out of it, using the templates to build the framework and some B&B or clapboard sheets that I have in my collection.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  07:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen interesting looking kit. I'm sure it will come out fine once you get the missing wood.

You did mean 2020 right????

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
opps, yes I did mean 2020

Hawghead
Section Hand

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  12:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, I think I have that kit. Can't check right now as I'm away form home. If I do, your welcome to it minus the shingles that I need for another project.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  10:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your Generous offer Scott, but all I really need on my layout is a single stall enginehouse and the remains of this kit will do for what I need.

Hawghead
Section Hand

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  8:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Well I just looked and I do have the kit. I don't know why I bought it or how long ago I did. Anyway it's here if you need anything out of it.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  12:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks Scott.

I did start a bit on the structure.

Using the templates I started to cut all the parts I need for the two main wall frames. I did find that there wasn't enough scale 12X12 left but I found that I had more than I needed in my wood stash:

I hope to start staining and then assembling the walls shortly.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice stash, Glen.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

... I found that I had more than I needed in my wood stash:

You have a nice supply of wood there, Glen.

I went searching through packing boxes last evening looking for my supply of scale lumber. It took a while, but I finally found all of it, plus some missing modeling tools. I think that I'm now ready for the second of my Challenge projects.

Bruce

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  8:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually started some assembly over the past few days.

I got all the wood cut for the two wall truss assemblies.

Then I stained them all with micro-mark's brown wood stain.

I used the full-size template as a jig to glue the wall framing together. I pinned the template and some wax paper to a block of high-density insulation foam, then pinned the parts to the template as I glued them

An hour later and I had a strong, clean frame.

I decided to change the exterior from Board and Batten to clapboard. I had this in my stash as well. 1/16" spacing or scale 6" looks good to me. Now I have to figure out window placement.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 01/12/2020 12:14:13 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat truss work there Glen. Also, your idea for using the clapboard should look good.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen, the clapboard siding is going to give a different look for you. I think it will be very classy and not so backwoods.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  10:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Stopping by to see the progress on the engine house. Looking good.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  11:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I'm not really sure if the clapboard is more 'classy' but it will still be going into the backwoods.

I spent some time yesterday figuring out the window placement.

I sort of figured this out from a couple photos in the instructions, the templates don't show them. I suspect that the windows are all die-cut in the kit.

I then transferred the window cutouts onto my clapboard siding and cut them out. The two upper windows are partially blocked by the cross braces but that's the way they are in the photos and they add some visual interest.
The other thing I discovered was that the clapboard it a bit short so I had to add a small piece, fortunately the windows all fit on the one large piece.

I decided to modify the other wall with a man door and removing the window between the door and the other lower windows. I'm thinking of adding a workshop on the side, possibly using the leftover board and batten material to make it look added on.
The walls and fames have been glued together and pressed between books to keep them flat while drying. I'll trim them out when they dry.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  02:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget workshops needed lots of windows to let in natural light in a building built before 1900 or so. This is coming along great, I always liked that kit. I had the basic kit and add-on stalls but sold them, I think because I decided the roundhouse was just too short to stable my locomotives.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  11:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, If I go forward with the workshop idea I think I have the windows for it.

I finished assembling the walls.

Then I headed over to the layout to figure out the width to make the front and back walls.

This is the short siding where I was going to put it. I thought it was going to be an easy fit but it looks like I'll have to rework some of my scenery and maybe even some trackwork to make it fit right.

Well I was eventually going to re-do parts of this area anyway. I'll probably take out a bit of the scenery to build a decent foundation for the enginehouse. This project seems to be growing as I get more into it.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: $25 Kit From Conowingo Models Topic Next Topic: HO Bar Mills Hurst Boilers kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000