Railroad Line Forums - GDead Rail With WifiTrax
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 GDead Rail With WifiTrax
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: An Experiment in Wireless Charging  

txlarr
New Hire

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  10:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this forum. I recognize many posters from MRH. I have recently finished a rework of an On30 Bachmann 2-6-0. I control the loco with a WifiTrax WMH-20 module in DC and my Fire HD10 tablet. I am now wanting to take the next step into Dead Rail which is the batteries or battery packs. In searching and reading I'm somewhat confused. Most dead rail discussions focus on the controller and don't get into various discussions about batteries themselves. There are AA cell 3.7v items and there are plastic pouch 3.7v items. Use 3 and you've got the 11.1v pack that gets lots of mention. I put 14-16v on the rails in DC for my Bluetooth and Wifi controlled HO locos. I need to test my On30 with 11.1v DC on the rails to check its acceptability. I know I have never gone full throttle anyway. Can I go with AA cells and a battery holder for 3 or do I need to go pouch type. Most photos I see on the net appear to be a 11.1v brick and nothing is said about AA or pouch. Also, I've read about some kind of protection device needed in the battery pack. And there needs to be a charger with overcharge control. Any clarification comments will be appreciated.
Steve G

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  10:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to the Dead Rail Society online and check out what they have to say. Pete Steimetz is a big proponent of Dead Rail.

I was running Dead Rail with batteries in a dummy and using the RailPro controller and decoders. But, I left it. I wanted to buy a ProtoThrottle and RailPro was not interested in working with the ProtoThrottle. Good luck and welcome to Rail-Road Line forums.

TomO

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get ahold of Pete Steinmetz through the Dead Rail Society as he sells battery packs for just about any kind of loco.
https://www.deadrailsociety.com/dead-rail-suppliers/

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

txlarr
New Hire

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom & Andy: Thanks for your response. I was already aware of Pete's Dead Rail Install products and should have said so. He is a member of an On30 Groups.io to which I subscribe and has made great contributions about that scale and Dead Rail there. I recognize that Pete's batteries, protection circuits, and chargers have a great record with the Dead Rail On30 community - they are the "go to" battery system. I am interested in what other battery options Dead Rail users might be using. I had read about rechargeable AA 3.7v Lithium batteries and thought my post would bring something out as to their use in model railroading but it looks like they are not used. Thanks again.

Steve G

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  10:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, donít jump to conclusions too quick from these answers. Bernd hasnít checked in yet and he was looking into wireless recharging with another forum member with back and forth ideas.
Pete at the Dead Rail Society in my opinion is carrying on dead rail and maybe the driving force. There hasnít been a lot of interest here at RR-line forums but a couple good discussions. As I said I got out but only because RailPro was unable to communicate with my PT. Now my entire layout is down because my ESC system conked out!

TomO

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Steve, donít jump to conclusions too quick from these answers. Bernd hasnít checked in yet and he was looking into wireless recharging with another forum member with back and forth ideas. TomO

Tom,

I saw the post earlier and was going to answer. I have given up on the wireless charging since I felt it was becoming more of a electronics hobby than model railroading. Also the other person that I was in contact with was DanT. He knew more about wireless charging and battery use than any other person I have run across on this subject. I believe DanT is not with us anymore from one comment he made a while back. I believe it might have be in one of his posts. He was a member of several forums so I can't be specific as to where I saw it.

I'm going to stick with the Deltang system for as long as they are available. If the system is joined with an on board voltage regulator it can be run on DC, AC, and DCC. As far as having sound on board, I'm not an advocate. I think control of your engines via airwaves (radio waves?) is the way I want to go. I could care less for all the CV adjustments that you can make with DCC. If you have a properly maintained and built engine you don't need all that electrical magic to make them work properly. Electronics cannot fix poorly designed or maintained engines. Also I don't care for being able to control turnouts or anything else on a layout with a smartphone.

OK, stepping down from the soap box now.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 01/06/2020 11:44:59 AM

psteinmetz
New Hire

Posted - 01/16/2020 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit psteinmetz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time to pipe in on batteries and inductive charging.

The AA Rechargeable take us a lot more space than the Lithium Polymer batteries. If you have space, it is an option.

Inductive charging is successful on toothbrushes. Sonicare does inductive charging. It is a single cell that takes a long time to charge. It is not practical for an 11.1V Lithium polymer for a couple of reasons. 1. The charging coil would have to be large. 2. The charging coil needs to be really close to the receiving unit in the loco. Very impractical compared to removing the battery and plugging into a charger or putting a charging plug on the loco or tender.

Pete Steinmetz
Dead Rail Installs

Pete Steinmetz
Dead Rail Society
www.deadrailsociety.com

Topic Next Topic: An Experiment in Wireless Charging  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000