Railroad Line Forums - A Request is in for MicroMark Table Saw Top Plate
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 A Request is in for MicroMark Table Saw Top Plate
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Drill bits for steel?  

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Y'all,

I wanted to pass along that I have contacted MicroMark concerning their table saw and asked them to consider making an accessory that we could purchase. This accessory would be a new aluminum table top that was four (4) inches longer. The reason is so that the fence could be extended farther away and allow for greater perpendicular cuts, especially note worthy for those of us who build model railroad cars. Since the present fence will allow you to cut floors and roofs only about 30' in length, before the fence has to be removed, a longer table top, 4" long will allow you to cut matching floors/roofs, stringers, and other pieces upwards to 55 HO Scale feet. This would restore the saws duplication capabilities, and assist in manufacturing more precise duplicate models and then some.

I've attached the email I sent them. I hope they will consider making it. By extending the table top 4" beyond the case edge, it would allow a greater cutting area assisted by the fence. I cannot believe that this hasn't been already addressed. If it has, please direct me. If not, I hope they see the value and will do it.

Levi

Copy of my email, sent 12/29/2019:

Dear MicroMark,

My name is Levi Matthews and I am a very satisfied customer, especially with your #80463 MicroLux® Tilt Arbor Table Saw.

I use your saw for building HO Scale Model Railroad Cars from scratch. In building my cars, I have discovered something that could really use a fix.

In making cars out of wood, it is important that the sub-floors and the roofing material match lengths. Here is where the problem comes in. Cars of 28' long will work within the limits of the fence to use as a guide, however, once exceeding that length, you cannot use the fence, because the fence is beyond the edge of the top plate of the saw, and cannot clamp down adequately. This effectively kills using the saw to replicate parts easily through the use of the fence.

In examining your saw, it is evident that the fence clamps down on the top plate and nothing more. The fix for the saw is to have a larger top plate for the saw. I humbly suggest that the top plate be expanded in length 4 inches. Since the top plate is aluminum of decent thickness, the body of the saw does not need to be redesigned. The top can simply overhang without issue.

The "extended" table would be an excellent accessory, that would simply require the end user to replace his present table top with the "extended" one. Surely, if folks can handle replacing the plexi-glass cut shields, they can handle changing out the top as well. And since there are no other screw holes to deal with, the piece of aluminum would simply need t be longer in length, and the grooves for the fence be extended accordingly.

To not have this extended top brings a limiting shortfall to the saw when trying to duplicate longer pieces where a perpendicular cut needs to be made. A 4" extension would give more cutting area, not take up too much room on a bench, not block the blade compartment under it, nor prevent cleaning of the unit. It is a win-win all the way around.

I humbly ask that you would consider making this extended table top for the saw that folks can purchase separately. If not, and a custom top can be made, I would appreciate your assistance in making that a reality. I really need that ability. I know I am not alone. Many would probably like to see that.

Thank you for your considerations.

Sincerely,

Levi Matthews
Hobby Enthusiast.

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Levi,

I am trying to fully understand why you believe a table top extension would be useful for building HO cars. It "seems" like you may be using the rip fence as a stop to cut HO floor and roof stock to length? If so, I caution you that this is a very dangerous practice, due to the possibility of stock getting caught between the fence and the saw blade, and then being thrown back at the operator! The practical way to cut HO floor and roof stock to consistent lengths, is to fashion a simple wood fence extension to the mitre or sliding table attachment, and clamp a small piece of wood to the extension to act as a stop.

Regards,

Reg Barron

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  05:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Reg,

The present configuration of the table top on the saw does not allow you to cut HO Scale car floors greater than 30 feet with the fence. This creates a little problem at times with replication to exact size with each cut. It also prevents cutting wood for sills in like manner. There is no conflict or kickback since the table top is designed to allow the guide slide to work on either side of the blade. I always use a piece of wood to hold the piece to be cut against to keep it square to the blade and the fence. I never experience kickback. Extending the table top would allow for larger size floors, roofing material, and stringers to be cut consistently, rather than individually, which leads to variances in length. Yes, you can cut as a group, but stacking, or running edge to edge sometimes doesn't work out squarely.

I haven't heard anything back from Micro Mark, so I think this is dead. I'll probably have to take my spare saw, disassemble, and take it to a machine shop and have it made.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Levi,

Mark probably took time off for the Holiday. I'd wait a few days before heading to the machine shop. They're probably enjoying a long weekend too.

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to offer a cheaper method of cutting those floors and roofs on the Micro-Mark. It involves making a piece of equipment used by wood workers. It's called a cross feed sled. It extends the table top to cut long/wide pieces to length.

Here are some pictures of my 10" saw cross feed sled.

The saw.

The sled with runners that slide in the saw tables slots.

The sled on the saw.

And a setup of cutting parts to the same length.

And some YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=homemade crosscut sled table saw

Hope this has helped out making it less expensive to solving your problem. Perhaps MicroMark could be persuaded to make a "sliding cross cut sled" for their table saw.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bernd, thank you - thank you. I used to rig a fence up that was pretty shaky but now I'm off to the garage to build a sled.

Frank

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  10:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MicroMark sells a cross-cut sled for their/Proxxon table saw: https://www.micromark.com/Sliding-Table-Microlux The problem is this has some really unacceptable slop in it for precision work. They went cheap and used wood instead of something more precise for the rails that fit into the table grooves. I use mine most of the time, I just have to remember to push the sled close to the blade to keep the sled in alignment.

The other thing I did was add some wood to remind me to keep my thumbs away from the blade.

The clamp on the right holds an L-shaped stop for repeated cross-cuts.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 01/02/2020 10:43:26 AM

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  11:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Micro Mark does make a sliding cross cut sled, they call it a "sliding table", and it is $29.95 , #80468. Mine will cut roof and floor stock up to 40 HO scale feet (taking into account the size of a small stop block). It would be very easy to screw, glue or clamp a longer piece of wood to the operator side of the table to cut to almost any length, on either side of the blade. Also the mitre gauge on the saw has two holes (by design) to allow a long piece of wood to be screwed to the the mitre gauge acting as an auxiliary fence, thus extending the length of the mitre gauge fence. Either method shoud work (using stop blocks) to cut HO roof and floor stock to consistent lengths.

I repeat, a Rip Fence is NOT meant to be used as a stop block for cross cutting!

Reg Barron

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, this is not the best picture, but... What you see here is the mansard roof (from the Cigar Factory I did for Craig Bisgeier), being held in a jig so I can cut the slots for the dormer window. The angled pieces on the roof were cut on my full size table saw. The jig here is screwed to the cross-cut guide as Reg Barron describes.

More photos on that build here: http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1545.msg32613

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  4:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Bernd, thank you - thank you. I used to rig a fence up that was pretty shaky but now I'm off to the garage to build a sled.

Frank, you're welcome - you're welcome - you're welcome. Thirty years ago I watched PBS's The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abrams instead of ESPN. Learned a lot of tricks from that show. Plus I was very interested in wood working back then and had several wood working magazine subscriptions. Wasn't much to do living in a bread box - aka, mobile home.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just contacted Proxxon, probably the same manufacturer of the Micro-Mark model, and asked about their tables.

We have the table in stock. Item number: S37006-11, Price: US $24.60 plus shipping.

To order, please call Lis @ 1-877-9966.
Thank you. Kind regards. Robert Trost,
PROXXON Inc., P.O. Box 1909, Hickory, NC 28603-1909, Phone: +1 828-522-4377, Fax: +1 828-522-4376

E-mail: sales.us@proxxon.com
www.proxxon.com/us/

I'm assuming you're talking about this saw. I also CA'd a piece of angle aluminum to extend the fence.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/03/2020 12:09:05 PM

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  12:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reduced some of the excess play in the Micro Mark sliding table/sled by repositioning one of the rails slightly to the outside. These rails are a good bit smaller than the slots they ride in, so both rails need need to bear on either the outside or inside of the slots. Of course a tiny amount of play is needed for free movement. The trick is to achieve free movement without excess slop!

Reg Barron

Topic Next Topic: Drill bits for steel?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000