Railroad Line Forums - In-ko-pah RR: New project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 In-ko-pah RR: New project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Got the bug. Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20
Page: of 8

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  09:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful job with the ore cart, Ray, especially the way you can make styrene look like rusted metal.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ray,
Fantastic ore cart build and the finish is perfect!

David Guffey

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  04:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to finishing up the Mineral Ridge Mill. I started this building in December 2013, and had it basically completed by July 2014. But it still needed lights and interior details.

For a while I considered leaving the building empty, and just putting some lights in it to make the windows light up. Towards this end, I sprayed the inside of the glass with matte clear coat, to fog them up. I wasn't happy with it. Even with the windows fogged it would still look empty. But I didn't want to try modeling realistic milling equipment, especially when trying to fit it into a compressed structure.

The solution I came up with was to just make some "view blocks" that could be positioned near the windows and would give the impression that the structure was full of machinery, chemical vats, structural timbers, stairs, etc. Behind these, I would still have plenty of room to run wires for lights, and access the interior for maintenance if needed.

Here are a few photos of this process. The first shows one of the view block assemblies and its installation in the upper level of the mill:

Next, the middle section of the mill:

And the lower level. At the left is a small enclosed area representing the mill's office:

I made some fixtures for the building's exterior lighting. The lampshades were made from Plastruct styrene domes, carved out to a thinner profile. I made two versions, one with a short neck for use above the freight door, and two long-necked lamps to light the main and rear entrances.

One mistake I made in the original construction of the mill was using removable roofs to access the interior. The unsecured roofs warped badly. To correct this, I needed to make them a permanent part of the structure. Ideally, it would have been best to build new roofs, but that was way more work than I wanted to do and would have wasted a lot of material. So I decided to glue the original roofs in place and also use screws secure them to the walls. This would have the effect of straightening the roofs a bit. The results are not perfect but are acceptable. Then I had to add some extra bits of corrugated metal to hide the screws, as well as to cover some gaps:

Next I masked off all but the new bits for painting. I used a coat of self-etching primer followed by Rustoleum's Cold Galvanizing Compound. Later I weathered it to match the existing structure:

The sorting house on top of the mill's huge ore bin also needed to have the roof screwed and glued permanently in place. Unfortunately the openings in two of the walls, combined with the lack of a floor, caused the walls to be pulled out of shape, and it no longer fit perfectly on top of the ore bin:

The only way to fix this was to make some metal straps that could be used to hold the walls firmly in place, forcing them into shape. I made them by cutting up some small brass hinges:

You can see the metal straps in this photo. I still need to do some work to minimize the appearance of the full-scale screws:

At the very top of this structure is a place for ore carts to dump ore. I had never gotten around to making the grate, or "grizzly" for this, which screens out oversized chunks of ore, so I did it now. I still have to fill in the gap where the mine track enters to grizzly:

I also made a lamp post to shed some light on the track and grizzly:

One thing left to do is make a small trestle extending from this side of the ore bin, for dumping waste rock:

A view of the sorting house interior with the newly added lights:

As darkness falls, the lights bring the mill to life:

Looking through some of the windows:

Looking up the street towards the ore bin, sorting house, and trestles:

That's it for now. Enjoy!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  05:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUTSTANDING, Ray, especially the night shots. It all fits well and the interiors look real.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ray, you did an excellent job finishing up the mill. The faux interiors are very effective and the various fixes look more like enhancements than repairs.

Beautiful photography.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Your "view blocks" are a nice idea and very effective.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  10:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Ray!

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  10:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray, it all looks so FANTASTIC!

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  12:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very effective control of sight lines. All together an excellent build.

Bob

It's only make-believe

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  4:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Increditible, excellent and outstanding work'.. The entirety looks so real it is hard to believe it is not real'... Beautiful work Ray!!!..

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll echo what Ted said...Fantastic work!

David Guffey

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Ray !! That work you do really turns out fantastic. Looking real good, especially the night shots.

Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I want to see the view from a night train :-) :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray excellent work as usual!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone!

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Got the bug. Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000