Railroad Line Forums - A Wreck for the "REEF"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 248 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 A Wreck for the "REEF"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys
Page: of 6

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  3:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As usual more to come. A follow up story to my "Wrecker's Reef" layout.
Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

After all this time I still didn’t have a shipwreck for “Wrecker’s Reef”. I have a lull between projects for the Suncoast Center so I took time to find an appropriate wreck.

Dave gave me an HO Artitec 50.114 Shrimp Cutter waterline model some time ago and it was time to wreck it. the nice thing about a waterline model is you can build exposed frames with busted planking. Just what a wreck needs.

I began mocking up a keel and frames. From the mock up I made cad drawings so Dave could cut them on the laser.

I also calculated the planking so the strips would fit the frames fairly close. I decided to divide the longest frame into 10 segments. Then I divided a couple of other frames and the stem into 10. That gave me a tapered plank that would fit close enough that I wouldn’t have to do much fitting.

Partially planked and doing well so far.

One side finished, my calculations worked out good enough.

Two sides finished and a little Squadron putty and it looks better than I thought it would.

I added ware strips to the hull where the trawling gear would be banging into the hull coming up and down.

I painted the entire boat a grayish tan for the weathered wood look. Then I gave it a liberal coat of Aqua Net hair spray. The good ole cheap stuff. After painting I rubbed a little paint off here and there for a chipped paint look.

I very carefully cut away some of the planking exposing the frames at deck level. I used a fiber cutting wheel on my Dremel with right-angle drive and s-l-o-w-l-y began cutting a plank then another one to give it that busted up look. The resin hull is quite thick so it took some time cutting through the plank and not the rib on the back side. Oops, one maybe two bit the dust.

Frank

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sad tale indeed, Frank! Did everybody make it off, I hope?

Nicely done! Please keep the pix coming... I think they're inspirational! And a lot more upbeat than those of the "Christmas Tree Ship" that sank in Lake Michigan on 23 November 1912 on the way to Chicago laden with Christmas trees....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/24/2019 3:52:39 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing work as always Frank!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  5:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, excellent work on the hull reconstruction!
So will this wreck be out of the water, or in the water?

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  5:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Frank- that Artitec company makes some nice models.

What adhesive did you use to attach your wood to the cutters resin?

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW Frank. Amazing talent on boat building in miniature.

I'll check in once in a while to check the progress.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hull-uva beginning to another nifty project. Hope you wreck it!

Tim Godfrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  11:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, I must respectfully point out to the viewers that the pictures that you have provided are poor examples of a truly exquisite model. Having seen the real model yesterday, I can confidently tell the other readers of this thread that they are in for a Hell of a ride. The textures and detail on this model are of the finest kind and the model is truly a new standard for us to aspire to. Even the transport of the model to The Center was very impressive. I can’t wait to see the model on Wreckers Reef!!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  08:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all before me Frank. Fantastic looking job already at this point!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Amazing work in bringing a model to life! So realistic!
Always a fan of your work!

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  09:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. It’s a real wreck of a model. Fantastic.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, I happy to say all hands were saved. Did I see they are coming out with a jet version of the Orion or is that England?

Thanks Rob. The switching layout is a huge success at the Center.

Greg, thanks and it’ll be beached.

Carl I used CA and it bonds almost immediately.

Thanks Bernd. Certainly more to come.

Bill, always the punster.

Tim, do I have to but you lunch now. Oh wait I paid Saturday.

Thanks a lot Louis.

Thank you very much Dave.

Mike, it’s not even worth salvaging.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/25/2019 11:02:59 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  11:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

The Boeing P-8 Poseidon is replacing my beloved Orion, but after over half a century of service the Orion has earned the retirement. The Poseidon is a derivative of the Boeing 737 and should do well.

We now return to our regularly scheduled shipwrecking programming.

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  11:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual Frank your work is to be admired by all.

Another wonderful addition to the "REEF".

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  1:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Shipwrecks, Pete mentioned the Christmas Tree ship. It sailed from the harbor at Thompson, MI which is less than 5 miles from my property on Lake Michigan. We ‘live’ in Thompson Twp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouse_Simmons related much of the story of that fateful voyage.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000