Railroad Line Forums - The Cy Mining Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Cy Mining Company
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Troy Tuit Works
Page: of 2

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  4:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I've retired from work, I've had a chance to start a new layout which is far enough along to share some photos with all of you.

The layout is "The Cy Mining Company" which is set in the late 1950's in the eastern U.S. They mine Black Ferrite which is shipped to the outside world via rail. This time I wanted to challenge myself with the build so I made a two level layout with an elevated track and a dryed-up creek bed. The layout is 34 in. by 14 in. with a 12 in. fiddle track on one end. The materials for the build consists of a 1x3 frame with half inch pink foam on top; this makes for a light weight layout.

So without any more chatter here are some pics of The Cy Mining Co.:

The basic ground scenery is down and some detail work done. This is the mine area and the export track below. I'm not sure if I like the effect of the lower track with the portal or not (it's not glued down yet). Any suggestions on how to improve this would help. Since the backdrop is green and hilly, I'm trying to make the scenery match so that the transition is seamless.

Here's another shot of the mine area. I wanted the track on the lower level to look like it disappears into the portal.

That's about it for now. I'll post more pics shortly. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far. If you don't like the portal on the lower track you might disguise the opening with a tree on each side. What does the right side of the layout look like? What scale is this?

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 11/23/2019 09:13:09 AM

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  10:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scale is Gn15. I've read that this scale has seen it's "hay-day"; but I'm going to continue in this scale none-the-less. I like the large structures and the smallness of the critters and the rolling stock. Also makes scratch building, which I do a lot of, much easier.
Here is a pic of the right side of the layout:

The blueish shed will be repainted and repurposed as a repair facility with a wooden floor and a workbench with tools and lots of detail. The reddish shed will receive the same treatment and serve as a cover for the fueling tank.
Recently I looked at the Photography section of the forum and the detail work is nothing short of awe-inspiring. This is what I'm going for. Usually I get bored with a layout and loose interest before I ever get to that stage of a build. This time I'm really liking the whole concept of the layout so I think that it will hold my interest for a very long time.

The whole portal thing I think that I have figured out and will post some pics when I'm finished with it. Tyson thanks for the suggestion with the trees.

This is what you see as you are coming into the Mining Company. Kind of puts the whole thing into perspective for me.

Thanks for the comment and for looking. As Always any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  11:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,do you have a track plan made up that you can post?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  2:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the tunnel portal in front looks good; perhaps if there was more hill painted behind it you’d be happier with it.

Disguising entries and exits is always a challenge.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  08:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to build up a tapered hill on top of the mine for a more natural look. Are you using HO track and mechanisms?

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slimrails: I don't have a track plan as such. I built the frame first, so it would fit on my 4 ft. workbench with the fiddle track attached, then I adapted a track plan to the space by trial and error until I came up with something that I liked. But I do have a "birds-eye" view of the layout. It has 1 lefthand and 1 righthand #4 turnouts.

Tyson & Michael: The layout uses modified Ho scale track and mechanisms. I like your ideas of a tapered hill in behind the portal. Here is what I've done so far.

I've sort of done the hill thing with a couple of big rocks on top of the portal; but I think that I may just do a rough sketch behind the portal and hit it with a "dry brush" of paint. Great suggestions. I built out the portal front with 1 in. foam core and detailed it. Painted the inside black. Now this is the look that I was going for; well almost.

I wanted to repost this picture. I've discovered that my Phone takes better quality pictures than my older camera does. Who knew. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions; they're a big help.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  1:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that looks better. Immediate improvement.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  2:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little track plan, the modeling is very nice. I would enjoy seeing pictures of any other rolling stock and the transfer behind the scenes.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

I discovered a little trick while designing 3D track plans in my CAD software that might work for you too. When there is a portal that cuts thru a back drop, put the painted black "curtain" on a slight angle so it looks more like a shadow, instead of having it vertical. The graphic below helps show the concept.

Take care,
Rob.

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Rob, I never thought of putting the "black curtain" at an angle. Great idea. Big Lars the rolling stock are just "flatcars"; at least for now. The idea is to build large open crates filled with Black Ferrite and hoist them from the flatcars on the elevated track to a gondola waiting on the track below. I would like to make a "steam donkey" type of hoist, on a sled, which will be anchored to the railroad ties at the end of the elevated track. Then it's a matter of picking up the crates and swinging them over and down onto the track below. At least that is the plan, but that may change.
I'll post some pics of the rolling stock soon. Please keep any ideas and comments coming; they are a big help.

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a of photo of the rolling stock for the mine and also one of the "fiddle track".

There are mostly "flat cars" and a gondola on the lower level. I'm not sure if I'm going with the crate idea or a box that opens on one side for the flat cars. It will all depend on how I plan to get the ferrite onto the lower level. Space to do what I had planned may not be available; so may have to go with plan B.

This is the 12 inch fiddle track which will hold a critter and 2 cars and still clear the turnout points on the layout. The layers of material are glued and nailed together to bring it up to layout level; plus a little brown paint on top.

Thanks for looking and comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by - Larryc on 11/27/2019 12:44:21 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the additional pictures. Please keep us posted wit your progress.

My current build:

Larryc
Section Hand

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  3:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a small update:

This is the first time in my life that I've tried to paint a backdrop. My artistic abilities are sorely lacking, to say the least. I decided to do a far away mountain, behind the lower portal, so that the detail work would be minimal. I think that it came out fairly well.

Here is another shot of the newly painted mountain.
Herb is waiting on the critter for the mine car to be filled before hooking on to trio of cars to move them onto the elevated track. Meanwhile Ray is watching by the fuel tank. If he would put that cup of coffee down maybe he could get the roof on the shed before winter.
Thought that I would start working on the right side of the layout. I've been redoing the "critter shed". It's almost done and it just needs to be weathered. I'll post some pics when it's done.
Thanks for looking and comments are always welcomed.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you did well painting the backdrop. I have never dared try that part of the hobby.

My current build:

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Troy Tuit Works  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000