Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills Earls Oil
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills Earls Oil
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Wichendon Machine Company
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to start a new project

I picked this up to sit next to the Shady Grove Texaco that I built earlier this year. In a way they seem to go together.

The kit comes with a small pump house, a number of above ground tanks, some of Bar Mills Inta-Fence, a billboard and decals.

And a fairly comprehensive 10 page instruction booklet. I'll start building in the next post.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  10:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun Glen.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  11:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice kit one of the first I built when it came out.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  12:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I started a bit of work on the kit.

I stuck the two foundation parts together and sprayed them with primer. I also stained all the walls with A&I. Before I did that I glued some reinforcement strips of basswood along their backs to prevent warping. I plan to 'paint' the walls with chalk like I've done with a few other buildings.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a very interesting kit. Probably something I'd be interested in purchasing down the line.

I'll be following the progress on this one.

Bernd

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  1:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting kit. looking forward to see how you handle it.

Bob

It's only make-believe

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Glen the project man". Glad to see yet another build from your side of the world. Always a pleasure to follow along.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  11:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
Louis, you don't know the half of it.I just finished an engine repaint for another modeller and I have three boxcar/refer projects nearing completion.

I did a bit of coloring on the walls yesterday.

I scrubbed a bit of yellow chalk into the walls (two of them) as a test. It's rather subtle, maybe I'll try adding a bit more later. I also picked up a green pastel chalk today to try on the windows and doors. If that doesn't work well I can always airbrush and then back scratch using my fiberglass brush.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't really tell from the photo, but it does seem to give an aged look to the wood. That idea with the green pastel chalk I bet would look good used on a corrugated metal roof to give it a patina look. Looking forward to your final out come here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the effect you achieved, Glen. It looks like a very worn down paint job.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  01:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I scrubbed a bit more yellow into the walls and then started to color the windows and doors.

Again I used pastel chalk to color the windows and doors but I first sprayed the sheet with a light gray primer. I'll be assembling them next and then the walls. I have a few days off so I hope to make some good progress.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  01:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished off the walls and windows

I re-applied another layer of yellow chalk to the walls and sealed it with some dulcote. That seemed to give me the finish I was looking for. I did the same with the window pieces, except with green. I accidentally lost one of the window frames but managed to build another out of scale lumber. before gluing in the frames I shaved the battens down where they would sit so they would be flat against the boards.

I also airbrushed the concrete parts with testors concrete. The round parts are the tank foundations. When I test fitted the walls I found that the building template (b16s) was too large so I trimmed it a bit on one side and the back so the walls would fit a bit better.

and then the walls went together. The fit is still not perfect but I think I can work on it with some details after. the four brackets on the back of the building are pipe hangers.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  07:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wall and window colors look good, Glen. It gives them a well-worn look.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  09:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The colors look good. Your persistence with the yellow has paid off.

Itís a modest little building, isnít it?

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  01:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a modest looking structure but it does have it's challenges.
I started with the roof supports and trusses.

Again I colored the parts with green chalk. The trusses don't fit exactly in place so I glued them to the building walls first, then glued and held them down to the opposite support.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Glen.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Wichendon Machine Company  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000