Railroad Line Forums - Powering Micro Engineering frogs AFTER installing.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 299 ]  [ Total: 301 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Powering Micro Engineering frogs AFTER installing.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Track Plan Proposal Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Climax Gear Repair - How To  

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  12:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd share my miss adventure with ME On30 turnout frogs. I have been having problems with short locos (Porters mostly) stalling out on the frogs even with stay alive capacitors installed. All the stay alive capacitors did is keep the sound going. I used Caboose Industries power routing ground throws on part of the layout and they work but have a tendency to break down at times and have to be installed when the turnout is installed. I finally decided to use Tam Valley Depot Frog Juicers on the frogs without the power routed ground throws. On the third and final section of my layout I had managed to think ahead and soldered wire feeders to the underside of the frogs before installing them. I did not do that on the first part of the layout built. So here is what I did.

I drilled a 1/16" hole at the heel of the frog down through the layout. This was through 2" foam and 1/2" plywood. I then used a dental drill in my Dremel to carefully carve out enough material from the frog heel so #22 wire would fit down in the grove below the rail head. The round dental bit worked the best for me. I used a little rosin soldering paste with my Weller soldering iron at its highest setting to attach the wire. I find Hot and Fast works best for me. I didn't melt any plastic ties. Now all my frogs are powered with frog juicers and my Porters run right over them without any hesitation. I should have done this a long time ago.

I hope this is of some help to someone.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís about as inconspicuous as can be. Well done.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it'll work hassle free forever, excellent!

Jim

Take the red pill

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well done, discrete.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  09:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I might be able to help with the porter. If the keep alive is installed correctly then it might be a matter of changing 2 cv's. Who's directions did you use for the install?

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  7:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am guessing that the stay alive caps in the Porter were wired to the same terminals as the factory installed caps. That would explain why the new caps provide sound only instead of sound and motor keep alive power.

Reg Barron

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  10:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Like I said, I should have done this years ago when the frog juicers first came out. They work great and are simple to install.

Reg, I could be wrong but I think it was your post that I used for instructions on installing the caps on the Porter sound board. I had trouble soldering to the tiny contacts and that was probably my problem. One of these days I'll get adventurous again and try to install the KA-1 again. Anyway now that all my frogs are powered the Porters like them.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2019 :  10:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done. Well hidden!

Pete
in Michigan

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  09:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for showing/sharing this one,
Nice work!

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Previous Topic: On30 Track Plan Proposal Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Climax Gear Repair - How To  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000