Railroad Line Forums - FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale Topic Next Topic: Idaho Hotel limited edition construction thread
Page: of 3

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  8:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jump right in.

India ink wash was not dark enough to show through the small cracks in the paint so I used wood stain then hairspray before the acrylic white topcoat was airbrushed on. Lots of washing with a small brush and water to soften the hairspray to get the paint to crack and peel. Rust and moss stains are being added with artists' oil paint and then washed with thinner.
Kurt

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  9:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work Kurt!

I am unfamiliar with this kit, could you show the FOS box photo please? Thanks.

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops forgot to post a cover photo. Kit still available I think. Oct. 29-2019

Kurt

Edited by - Kurt Bainum on 10/29/2019 10:12:43 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start Kurt.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks really good.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice Job with the weathering!

David Guffey

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  12:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Kurt.

Some really nice weathering effects.

Cheers, Mark.

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  02:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks for your encouragement guys.
Continuing experimenting with this hairspray chipping method I tried it with two colors. After hairspray and green I sealed everything with polyurethane and let dry for a few days then hairspray and white. Not what I expected but interesting enough.
Kurt

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  05:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real nice weathering!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  07:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt,

As others before me have said, very nice work.
I like the weathering you have shown in your pictures. A well seasoned modeler, such as yourself, knows how to achieve great weathering results. But, other new modelers, may not know the steps to achieve the results you are getting. Would you be so kind as to explain what you did with a piece of unpainted wall, from start to finish ? Either the green wall using the hair spray method, or one of the white walls? thanks

Rich

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  11:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice !!

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  1:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work, keep the photos coming. Diorama or layout?
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  2:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote

These doors were finished by using two coats of hairspray from the airbrush directly on the laser cut paper. 20 minutes sprayed with two coats thinned Poly Scale Reefer White dry for one hour. A little bit of cracking happened by itself but most of the chipping and peeling is done under a 15X binocular microscope with a stiff brush and lots of water. Have to pay attention because when the paint lets loose it really starts to come off. This was the first time I ever tried hairspray. What I learned is that it needs to have a darker base for the effect to show at this small scale. My results are random chance of humidity, temperature or the fact that everything is contaminated with cat hair. Your results may vary.

Glad you guys want more photos but as you know it is a tedious process to upload each photo and hack the code to get them to post on this site. But if there is interest I will include more "how I did it" content. Thanks for the confidence but I am no old hand at this. This will be my second attempt at a craftsman kit build.

Last time I had a layout with trains I was 12 years old. Hard to remember back that far. Think I will go for a diorama with 6 inches of track for this one.
Kurt

Edited by - Kurt Bainum on 10/30/2019 3:02:14 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  3:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with the others, Kurt. You've done a nice job on the weathering. I really like your peeling paint.

George

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looking great Kurt. The weathering is excellent. Way to go...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking really great. Although I havenít tried the hair spray method, I have tried the one that Vallejo or the like had with good results

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale Topic Next Topic: Idaho Hotel limited edition construction thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000