Railroad Line Forums - Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  12:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked this up at a swap meet last weekend

It's a pretty well detailed kit, which is standard for a tichy model. I have a set of Canadian Pacific decals on order for it.

I spent about an hour today doing the more tedious parts of the model, cleaning up some castings and gluing the weights in. Tichy uses some larger machine nuts for weight, even adding molded in places for them in the underframe.

Then I glued the ends to the main body and drilled out all the grab iron holes. In the ends there are guide dimples cast into the plastic but on the sides Tichy gives you a nice drilling guide for them. I'll be keeping the guide around for other scratchbuilding and kitbashing projects.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  08:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I built one of these kits several decades ago. I loved the precision fit of all the parts. To his day I use nuts as weights in many of my scratchbuilds; I might have gotten the idea from Tichy. I bought the kit in part for the grab iron jig as well as practice in kit building.

Mike

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  09:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking boxcar. I believe Branchline or Proto has big nuts, too......they make great, concealable weights. I have used stick on car wheel weights. I bought a box on ebay for $20 that will last forever. Saw the same ones in A-line packaging at a hobby store last week, $8 for 6-8 weights.

Tichy has some of the finest molded models. Their Wrecker crane was one of the easiest, well done, fine fitting models Iíve never done, especially for the complexity of the model.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Glen is the drill jig plastic or metal?

Frank

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  10:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys.
The Jig is cast plastic but the holes are not drilled through. I'm guessing that it's that way so that you can drill using the drill size that suits you best? In my case I drilled all the holes out with a #78 bit.
Their PFE reefer kit comes with a similar drilling jig.
I've built the wrecking crane and posted the build here. It took about a week or two to build, including the paint and weathering.
This Boxcar is only one of six Tichy kits that I picked up at the swap meet

I ended up with two more cranes, one of the boom cars, the Boxcar that I'm building, a USRA hopper and another PFE reefer. I'll probably end up building the cranes and boom car for other modellers, as I already have one on the layout that I'm happy with.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the Tichy kits, though they aren't a quick way to a large fleet:

The 'panel side' version of the USRA hopper kit. I've also built several Tichy USRA boxcars and one R-40-4 reefer.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  01:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well lets see. I've built two of the cranes, one boom car, six pfe reefers, two 40' flats and the wheel car. I also have one of the tank cars sitting on the shelf waiting for it's turn.
I finished the boxcar up to painting this evening.
I'll run through some of the build and give my thoughts

I glued the ends and then added the grab irons. This is a bit out of order from the instructions but I find it's easier to add the grabs before the floor is installed. I used a piece of styrene 4X4 as a spacer guide so the grabs would be uniform.

with the grabs all installed I went back to the instructions order

The underframe detail is typical Tichy. Very nice and it all went together very well.

The rest of the model went together very well with the exception of the doors. The door and the lower track are a bit finicky in their fit. the instructions include a section on making the doors operable but the bottom track mounts are so delicate I can't see that happening. I just glued the doors shut.

The only real change I made to the model was to scrap the Andrews trucks that came with the kit and replace them with a set of Accurail Bettendorf trucks instead. I'm not a big fan of Tichy's three-piece truck design as I'd rather just have the rigid on piece that has less chance of a wheelset dropping out.
Now the car is waiting for it's turn in the paint booth. It will be joined with this:

It's an intermountain reefer that I picked up at the same swap meet. I'm planning to strip it down and repaint it in CPR scheme. There's only one problem, I can't seem to strip the lettering off. I had the car soaking in oven cleaner for 3 hours and it didn't even dent the lettering. Same with isopropyl alcohol. I'll probably have to sand the lettering off the best I can and go from there.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  08:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking boxcar.

There are various paint removers for plastic models Iíd try before sanding, especially with all those rivets.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  10:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I gave it another crack with the Isopropyl Alcohol (six hour soak) and:

It look a bit of a mess but the lettering did come off and the sides are smooth enough for a repaint. I did have to drill a hole in one of the corners of the underframe to ensure the iso' drained out properly. I also removed the original ladders and installed 'Canadian' ladders that incorporate the stirrups. These came from Tichy.

And because I can never seem to leave thing alone I pulled this Athearn Reefer off the layout. I modified this car a couple years ago, adding the 'Canadian' Ladders, separate grab irons and some other details. For some reason I didn't change out the crudely molded roofwalk so I changed it out for a Tichy one. Since all three cars will be wearing the same color, I figured it's best to do them all at the same time.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 11/04/2019 10:10:08 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  01:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update on these projects. Over the past few days I sprayed primer and then paint.

I used polly-s/ testors Boxcar red on the two cars . The USRA boxcar has been sprayed with testors glosscote since the decals as water-slide. As you can see I have a set for black cat ready when the glosscote fully cures.

The intermountain reefer turned out pretty good it too is waiting for decals but I have a set of CDS dry transfers for it. I sealed the car with dulcote before I apply the transfers.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  07:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I've used dry transfers a few times, but always found them much less forgiving than decals. Enough so that I put up with the film and take the time to get rid of silvering.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

How true James. Thatís if you get the dry transfers in the exact position and the lettering doesnít crack apart they do look better.

Glen great job on the car.

Frank

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  11:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Tichy kit came out very well, Glen. I'm a real fan of outside braced box cars.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  10:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys.

I started decaling the intermountain car tonight.

I've usually had good results with dry transfers, as long as they have been stored properly. However if I'm tackling an expensive project I usually buy two sets, just in case.
I do have a secret weapon when using dry transfers:

I use a small piece of Tamiya masking tape to hold the transfer in place while I burnish it down. Then I can lift it to check if all the transfer has indeed, transferred without moving the backing paper out of place.

it took about 15-20 minutes to complete the one side, then I sprayed it with dulcote to seal it before decaling the other side.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  11:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done. Those donít look like the easiest lo do with the complex design of globe etc.

Mike

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  5:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,
I'm looking over Mike's shoulder watching this build!, very cool.

BTW, Mike's hair smells nice, I wonder what shampoo he uses?

Keep up the great modeling Glen, Can't wait to see this completed and on the layout. Thanx Thom...

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000