Railroad Line Forums - scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 28

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  8:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

The lights really enhance your fine work.

Mike

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  10:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank jerry and mike. i really do appreciate it. i got the gooseneck lamp over the back door hooked up tonight. it was a little tricky because before i figured out a good way to strip the wires without cuttin through them (very thin gauge wire), i ended up chopping the leads on the recitfier too short, so today i soldered new wires to it and got it working. i really like these light alot.

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  9:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been waiting for a light order because i decided i wanted to add a couple more lights to the structure before putting the roof panels on and buttoning it up. the order came and they were all wrong (my fault) so I returned them and the right ones will be here monday. i decided to start working on the landforms. there's a section of the river in front of norton's, and a little inlet with a pier. i would appreciate any suggestions that may improve it before i start gluing it down and painting it.
thoughts? ideas?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  08:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your landforms just as they are Kevin.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The way they look roughed-in, I see lots of potential for scenery. It looks like a old fashioned resort.

Mike

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  09:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike and mike: thanks
carl: thanks.
from river bottom to top of the banks is 4 feet. you fellas don't think it's too high?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  10:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I donít think itís too high, but youíre going to need a gentler path down to the level of the boat dock.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMHO the building looks cramped on the small island. I would remove it to give the building some visual freedom. And I would make the "U" inlet a bit less "U" shaped.

These comments are in no way representative of the "Line" or its affiliates. Nice doggie.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/23/2020 11:07:02 AM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks frank. i've been thinking about getting rid of that layer of foam. now i'm convinced. i'm not sure i have the room to change the little inlet though. i'll kick it around for a day or so..

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i glued two of the 1/4" foam panels to the 2" foam base and weighted them down using 10 bricks and a 9 lb iron. i decided to start on the balcony roof. i started with some framework.

i carefully cut the little wedge of siding for the right end of the balcony roof, sided it and glued the frame boards to it:

here it is in place.

my original plan was to butt this against the shingled roof panel, but when i tried that fit it held the balconey roof out too far away from the building. what i think i'm going to need to do is, cut the roof panel around the balcony roof framing so i can glue the framing directly to the front wall plate and the gable (for the wedge of siding). if any of you guys has a better idea, please by all means, speak up.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removing the top piece of pink foam will give the guests more room to sit on the lawn and watch the boats paddle about and reducing
the steepness of th banks will give the river a gentler feel if you're looking for a resort setting. Mike's thought on making the path to the dock less steep is good.
If you do try widening the inlet and don't like how that turns out it's easy enough to build it back up.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  9:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Does the roof overhang need to come out as far as it does? Could you shorten that distance, and modify the front wall of the balcony to come out to match a shorter overhang from the wall?

Jim

Take the red pill

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  05:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jim,
i don't think i understand your question. what are you referring to when you say roof overhang?

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  7:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
much has changed. some due to circumstances and some due to mistakes i made.
here's the changes so far:
i ditched the base that was made out 1/2"x1/2" stock and decided i wanted to scratchbuild stone foundation walls. i built a platform for the front of the hotel walkway and finished that today.
here's a picture of the structure staged with the one stone foundation wall that i've completed.

now about the balcony roof....
in order for me to get it absolutely right, i have to completely redo the front roof panel. when the plywood is cut, i will put the the balcony roof in place (i wiill prebuild it, roof it and weather it beforehand), and then shingle around it. that's the only answer i can come up with, and in fact, probably the easiest fix (likely the most expensive too).

i went to ace and bought a suform, and i scraped some foam away, including a natural path to the pier. you can sorta see it on the left if you look close. (the building isn't in its proper location)
next on my list are the front and back stone foundation walls. that's not gonna be quick, but i think i'll use up some 1/2"x1/2" stock and build separate forms for the remaining three walls. this time, i'm not gonna put em together with wood glue. what was i thinking?? i'm gonn a screw em together so they'll be easy to get apart when the plaster is set. i'm also gonna line the inside of the forms with a thin coat of vaseline.
thoughts? better ideas??

Edited by - kebmo1 on 10/01/2020 4:10:42 PM

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000