Railroad Line Forums - scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 28

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
carl, i have one. when i said convert, what i shoulda said was "i flipped the ruler over".

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  1:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK then.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still waiting for the signs so i can finish the front wall, but in the meantime i put the "north-south roof gables in place and the balcony posts that i switched out for longer ones fit perfectly. (boy that was a fun task)
i apologize for the strange looking picture, the model is on a glass topped coffee table, and some items below the glass show up in the picture making it a little confusing.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  5:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my last post pointed out a major discrepancy. the gables on the north-south roof (the gable facing the camera) ridge is a good inch taller than the ridge on the east-west wall. according to the drawing, they are supposed to be the same height. the dimensions for the gables were taken directly from the drawing, and the same can be said for the only actual gable for the east-west roof, the wall with the door out to the veranda. the only way i can think of fixing this issue is to adjust the demensions and recut and side the gables on the north-south roof. I DON'T WANT TO!!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Kevin, here's my suggestions.

Frank

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  6:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank,
thanks. that's the only fix. but it also means i have to recut and reside the gables and I DON'T WANT TO.....but i will. good thing i have way more 1x8s than i need. but i am on my second bottle of silverwood stain....

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  6:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I thought you were going to say, "on my second bottle of Scotch." What the heck, you're in quarantine so you have time and besides no one can come over. On second thought you might want the Scotch.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/29/2020 6:54:15 PM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heheheh...to me scotch causes my gag reflex to kick in just smelling it. i had a bad experience with scotch as a youngster.
but i am a whiskey lovin' irishman.....

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess what? i gotta order another piece of clapboad siding. i don't have enough.
i found out what the problem is. it's the gabled wall that leads out to the veranda. i am not going to redo it. no way. so,....i'll have to adjust everything to that gable's pitch.
...unless i come up with a better idea......

hairball
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  11:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the words of clint eastwood..in a movie.." be a marine adapt and overcome "
mike lynch HAIRBALL

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  09:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Looking at the Gazette plans and your photo above, itís obvious now that the plans and the photo donít match. The plans are inaccurate.

I think Frank has the right idea. A little surgery to lower the north-south gable would put things right. The porch roof in front and a triangle of siding in the back will cover things up.

Mike

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i'm considering doing is raising the gable on the wall with the door that opens on the veranda. not replacing the wall, just adding a little bit to the gable. whatever i do won't be visible anyway.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  6:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, Wouldn't NOT raising that veranda wall gable leave a flat porch roof? I like your idea of raising and adding to the veranda wall, and maintaining the sloped porch roof. Aggravating I'm sure, hang in there.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 03/31/2020 12:12:47 AM

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  10:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i measured the with of the four balcony posts under the north-south wall, and the height or the peak on the gabled veranda wall, and used those two measurements to come up with the new gable size. i cut a paper template and tried it in situ and it looks like its gonna be right.
allow me to digress for a minute. i don't remember where i read about this book but it sounded like a book that i had to have, sp i ordred one and it came a couple of days ago. it was written in 1984, so a high end craftsman kit in thse days went for between $50.00-$100.00. the author is a good writer and he makes a strong argument for scratchbuilding. one of his arguments i have to take issue with: he makes the case that scratcnbuilding costs peanuts compared to buying a kit. well...i could've bought the bar mills kit for $169.95. i think i have way more into this scratch build. just sayin'....
here's the book:

the book is pretty good, but i have only gotten through the working with wood section.

anyway, turns out that i had enough clapboard siding that was able to lay out both gables:

[its upside down]

i masked off the business side of the sheet to prevent splitting or splintering:

[its upside down too]
and the gables are cut out and ready for siding:

[what did you expect?]

so next i have to grain, knotole, detail, stain and paint 16 1 x 8s to side these bastids.

Edited by - kebmo1 on 03/30/2020 10:33:46 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  12:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on a clinic titled 'Scratch building on a budget...You're killing me here.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000