Railroad Line Forums - scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 28

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  6:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks carl and phillip...
i'm officially at a standstill until i get my lumber order. i got an email that it shipped so hopefully tomorrow.
when i get it i have to cut each piece in half (they're 16" long), add grain/knotholes/ sawbanding and stain it with the silverwood and then damp brush white wash on them. THEN i can start siding the front wall. i'm gonna place another order in the next couple of days, cuz five packs isn't going to be enough.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  7:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very, very nice.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  4:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cut the front gable today

and the ups dude showed up too:

i'm a pretty happy camper at the moment. i think my lumber is coming today too.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Kevin.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís my kind of tool. It clearly says right on the side what it is so that I canít confuse it with a drill or something.

Seriously though, I might keep it in mind for the day my NWSL tru sander wears out, which wonít be long now.

Mike

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike, i talked to the manufacturer, and he said they're basically flying off the shelves. he said he took 20 to a show and ended up selling 200.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  08:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Nice addition to your tool collection. I was looking at it on Tim's site. What is the disk diameter?

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  12:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manufacturer has zero specs on their own website. Not cool.

I saw elsewhere those discs are 5" diameter Bernd.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  1:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I saw that "Ultimation" sander at a train show.
I thought it was really neat, however I didn't think it was worth the $250 Canadian that they were asking for it.

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  3:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl. I looked at the site and didn't find anything either. I think 5" is close. Probably same size as the orbital sanders.

I also agree $250 Canadian or $192.46 American is a bit high. I'd have to question how square that table sits on that rubber stopper. There is quite a bit of machine work on it so I'm sure the price isn't that far off giving a margin for profit.

I'm looking at my bits of aluminum and wondering if I can come up with something.

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  6:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Jeezz, thought I posted a couple of pages back, guess not. I hope you don't think I abandoned you. Nice work.
I like the effect you are achieving with the added boards to that clapboard siding, but may I ask why you did that? I sometimes think it is rather difficult to achieve a worn-out look by merely destressing clapboard myself. But what you have there is better looking than trying to do that on the original sheet good walls.

Looking great.

Rich

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  08:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all:
the sander is a bit pricey, but it'll last me the rest of my life, and it works great. the only mod i'm going to make to it will be to mount it on a fairly heavy piece of wood.
rich,
that's the very reason for doing it this way. you get to detail each individual board, and use the milled clapboard as a guide. i learned of the process building the sierra west railroad camp. brett recommended it in his manual because it is so difficult to detail the clapboard siding "boards", and if you want a run down appearance (and i do), this is the best way to do it.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the sander is a bit pricey

If so inclined...
You could MAKE your own like this fellow.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtedELLR-w

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure if i had a scroll saw and a drill press....but alas....

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  4:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice sander! You'll get there!

Philip

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000