Railroad Line Forums - scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 28

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  7:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i finished siding the end wall. just need to find or create some appropriate signage. the part above this wall is kind of like a veranda, so i'm going to make it a bar, and side the inside portion of this wall and the front wall, and the rear wall. i'm going to put bracing for the floor of this veranda on the walls 1/16" below the siding so the plywood floor will 'slide' into place (with a little luck) i hope that makes sense....
for the veranda area i ordered a couple table and chair sets and 8 barstools. (and i think a jukebox) i'll fabricate a bar later.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  8:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it.

Are you planning to "beat up" the windows a bit to match the condition of the clapboards?

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
carl,
i'm not quite sure how to do it. any suggestions?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I like the colour you have obtained on your siding & the colour you have chosen for your windows.
Your newly acquired fisherman should be freed from their plastic bags before they suffocate.

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any suggestions?

You could stipple or sponge some light gray paint randomly around all of it.....but with VERY little pressure.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  3:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got the rough openings in the right gable wall cut out today. windows and doors fit perfectly. i might get the other gable wall openings cut later tonight after theo and his folks leave.
i got my lumber order today. wrong size. i thought i ordered 5 packs of 1x8s and i got 5 packs of 1x10s. i have no use for them so i'll send them back. yet another delay....
got some good news today. my ultimate sander will be here on 1/3, and once i have that. i'm gonna mothball my true sander.

in case anyone is wondering, the door opens out onto the veranda/bar.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  3:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
greg,
i'd better do that. poor li'l fellas. what was i thinking?
carl,
i'll give that a shot a bit later. thanks.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i managed to get the left end wall window openings cut out yesterday, and the gazette came today so i'm in the process of laying out the front wall.
i needed to order another door from tichy, so i placed the order and almost immediately realized that i ordered the wrong one. i got the confirmation email from tichy, and i responded to it telling them that i screwed up and could they please replace the door i ordered with a different one. shortly thereafter i got a return email from them acknowledging my request. i will never order from grandt line again. their customer service is the polar opposite of don tichy's.
anyway...here's the wall.

this is just pratice for the boatload of openings i'm gonna have to cut out of the front wall....

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  4:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weathered siding beautiful. Need to work on those windows a bit though!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  5:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Nice progress. I might build the Idaho Hotel some day if I have the right place for it. If I do, I think I will make the gable on the front match in width the end gables. I think it would look better and more appropriate to the area Iím modeling. Could be thatís the way the prototype is.

Mike

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2019 :  10:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike,
based on the drawings in the gazette there's a 4'3" difference in the span of the two gables, the one in the front being the shorter of the two. i'm going to go with the drawings on mine.
i think i'll dream up a jig for making the trusses for the main roof...
after i get all the walls sided.
i just got back from the post office, sending the 1x10s back to northeastern scale lumber.
by the way, i have to say that their customer service is great, and no one should have any qualms about ordering from them, although i do find their website to be a bit balky. their packaging is pretty great. the boards come in a boxful of packing popcorn and i've never received any broken items.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2019 :  10:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finished siding all three end walls, and two of them are trimmed out and hit with an a/i wash. the third wall is under the iron until tomorrow.
pic 1 is the gable wall

gable wall bracing:
[img[http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/kebmo/20191231222641_gable wall bracing.JPG

short end wall bracing:

my thoughts on the bracing; the end walls have been given 1/4"x1/4" bracing right to the edge. the bracing on the gable wall, since the wall occurs about three inches from the actual end of the building, will be the gluing surface for the front and rear walls. but the bracing on the two actual end walls is also right at the very edge of the walls with the intention of holding the bracing on the front and rear walls back 1/4" and gluing the bracing to the bracing when assembling the walls. the bottoms of all walls is also braced with the same sized stock and will be glued directly to the base (in a perfect world).
here's the two walls together:

i'm working on the windows and doors next, and then i'll finish laying out the front wall and get started on cutting out the rough openings.
by the way...going into this project i had a pretty sizable stash of scale 1x8. i grained detailed and stained/damp brushed every piece
i had. i finished siding the wall that's spending the night under the iron, and when i was done i didn't have a full piece left.
i have a 5 pack order coming from northeastern scale lumber this week, and i don't think it's gonna be close to being enough.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i finished the three end walls last night and this morning, and got all the rough openings cut out of the front wall.

Download Attachment: [url="

i still have to tweak ond of the door openings but everything else fit perfectly.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  4:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those walls look great!

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome work! Nice weathering!

Philip

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000