Railroad Line Forums - DPM KITS poly....resin problems
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 DPM KITS poly....resin problems
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Idaho Hotel limited edition construction thread Topic Next Topic: Aladdin General Store in O scale
Page: of 2

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  8:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was reading somewhere that the DPM kits made of polyurethane/resin walls have a tendency for warpage.

Never having worked with it before was wondering what is best glue to use.

If there is warpage whats the method of straightening it out, heat plus weight ?

What about 3/16" wood or aluminum glued to the wall as a stiffener if a lot of warpage.

thanks for any insight

mike lynch.......HAIRBALL

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  9:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used ACC on a couple of resin kits, epoxy on others. Epoxy is less brittle than ACC but a little more effort to use.

Be careful heating a warped casting - once it gets soft enough so gravity alone can move it, it will change dimension in all directions, not just the one you want. I'd try clamping the warped casting to something rigid and flat, then leave it in a warm (but not hot) place so it will move gradually.

Wood and aluminum both have different thermal expansion characteristics than resin. Wood will also change size with humidity. Either kind of repetitive stress is hard on glue, particularly ACC. I'd say use wood bracing in the interior, but paint the wood to seal it after the epoxy cures.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  10:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use ACC and then cut and glue in a base, intermediate floors and a top floor ceiling. I use ACC to hold things straight (as long as its not too warped to start with) and then add a bead of tacky glue to strengthen.

Cheers, Mark.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike.
I've built lots of their kits. I just use regular modelling glue, either Revell or Humbrol. Both work fine.

Regarding the warping. I've built just about every N scale DPM kit available, and never had any warping. Maybe the bigger scales have this problem more. Not sure what scale you work in, but have heard that hot water, (not boiling) and some weights work.

Just curious, From what you've written, I assume you haven't actually got any of their kits at the moment, or if you have, have you actually got the problem.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  9:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ROBERT, not sure where I heard it about the warping, maybe was a google search on dpm might have showed up.

I have purchased a dpm kit on B.I.N EBAY . I model in O scale and generally build older Tom yorke O kits in HYDROCAL or scratch build structures.......total of 516 combined O and HO. Stopped in 2012 and now collecting kits and details ( crocodiles in O today).

I had one of his once that was urethane resin and walls were warped. Was the 2nd version of the pool hall bordello really run down. Sold it right away after waiting for almost 2 years and being surprised with what he produced was totally diff than original. Now all his newer stuff is resin.

I was MADMIKE3434 on the net, now am HAIRBALL this past 6 months.

mike lynch

Now looking for the Berkshire Valley corner drug store

Edited by - hairball on 10/18/2019 9:37:02 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  9:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work in HO scale and have built many DPM kits, and used their wall sections for making up my own structures. I've never come across a warped wall section. But, I have also heard that hot water (not boiling) causes plastic to get pliable at around 150 F) and then placed under a weight to dry will straighten the wall section. The picture below shows the recommended glues for DPM Kits.
Read this PDF for information and ideas; https://div8.ncr-nmra.org/nav/files/dpm.pdf

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  12:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks LOUIS for the recommended glues to use not working much with plastic or urethanes means a change in direction with how I paint things and glue things.

I discovered on my own that a produce called HOUSEHOLD GOOP , which is a silastic contact cement that retains a slight flexibility to it.

I found that using it combined with basswood 1/8--1/4" square in the inside corners and along the base of the walls , holds like no other glue can. You can easily pick up a hydrocal structure and handle it without worrying it will come apart in your hands like WELDBOND white glue .

Looks like I have a trip coming up to a hobby shop to purchase some glues for the new materials.

thank you

mike..........HAIRBALL

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All the DPM kits I've built have been injection-molded polystyrene and I've built them with solvent cements (MEK mostly) and model airplane cement.

But Mike said 'resin/polyurethane', so I answered for that material ('casting resin' similar to what you can get from MicroMark & others). I have never tried solvent cements like Tenax, MEK etc. on polyurethane resin, and I've never seen them mentioned in articles on resin castings. The internet suggests that Acetone will dissolve them, so it might work as a solvent cement. But try it on a scrap first.

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  11:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not really sure exactly what the material is of the Berkshire valley kit I bought. Hopefully it will have instructions on what is correct cement to use.

Tom Yorke uses a cast urethane ??? in all his offerings ,thru Branline. I have purchased a couple on ebay and waiting to go to Rochester area NY state end of the month and bring them back .

mike ...HAIRBALL

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  11:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berkshire Valley kits are resin kits, and here is a good reference for glues used; https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Modelling/Working_With_Resin_Models.pdf

Louis

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! always best to be armed with correct info before destroying something.

Now if I can just find that angled corner drug store.

mike------------HAIRBALL

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is still available from Worthpoint? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/berkshire-valley-808-corner-drug-1725848549

Louis

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  7:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem is these guys are just $$$$ middlemen and do not own the item. Could not even get thru to see if it was still available.

mike-------------HAIRBALL

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  10:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While looking at Louis' 'forgeworld' link, I remembered that AFAIK all ACC/cyanoacrlyate/'Crazy Glue' de-bonders contain acetone, which will probably affect resin surfaces too.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  11:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I glue a chunk of 1/8th stripwood inside the corners. Works for me.

I had a hobby shop in the early 1970s. Early cast walls were a mess.

Love all the great stuff we have available today.

Best O scale crocs and gators are at Hobby Lobby in clear tubes for about $5.

Darryl

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually bought a set of 5 croc on ebay Monday ? for $5.00 for the 5.

PUGWUMP bros rail services go thru a swamp area and I think the 5 will be quite happy.

Yes darrly I also always use 1/8 or 1/4 basswood in the corners of tom yorkes hydrocal structures using HOUSEHOLD GOOP silastic contact cement Only thing I have found that you can use to safely handle a hydrocal structure.

I should be able to also use it on urethane or other resin based structures without it eating the material the kit is made of.

mike............HAIRBALL

Edited by - hairball on 10/23/2019 6:34:03 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Idaho Hotel limited edition construction thread Topic Next Topic: Aladdin General Store in O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000