Railroad Line Forums - Small miter saw from Micro Mark: screws
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Small miter saw from Micro Mark: screws
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Drill bits for steel?
Page: of 2

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, how many of you have purchased the Micro Mark miter gauge for cutting small sections of wood, styrene or brass to exacting lengths?

Now how many of you are frustrated with the screw that came with the unit?

I was not happy with the screw head stripping out on me, so I contacted Micro Mark, but got no answer except a link to their micro miter box.

It took me a long time to find what size screw was used; I finally took it to work where they had some small metric screws, which I suspected it might be, and found the 3mm x .5 pitch was the right size.

So I ordered a pack of 50 from Amazon yesterday for less than 4 bucks, postage free, got here in 24 hours (can't mail a letter to the other side of town in under a week), and tried one out. It fit perfectly. And the head is a little larger too. Here are some pictures, and a link to Amazon's page if you want to order directly from them.

Can't beat the price, and if a few wear out in time, well, I have plenty more on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F32DIWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Description:
Steel Pan Head Machine Screw, Zinc Plated, Meets JIS B1111, #2 Phillips Drive, M3-0.5 Thread Size,

Hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  1:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, is this miter box small enough to use with XACTO #11 or similar blades?

Micro Mark advises using the larger "ultra fine saw blades".

Thanks

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Tony, is this miter box small enough to use with XACTO #11 or similar blades?

Micro Mark advises using the larger "ultra fine saw blades".

Thanks

No, the x-Acto is too thick. It is designed for the razor blade saws. They are also available on another site that I canít remember right now (Iím at work) but if you google UMM saw blades or miter box, it should come up. I have both the UMM one and Micro Marks, and use them equally as much. The blades last a very long time. I havenít changed one yet

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  7:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?manufacturers_id=10

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  7:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. Thanks for the info Tony.

UMM has an interesting inventory.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  8:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Understood. Thanks for the info Tony.

UMM has an interesting inventory.

Your welcome

Tony Burgess

hairball
Section Hand

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow that original screw has really taken a beating. I most likely would have gone to a non stainless button head allen key screw, but you would need metric allen keys.

mike...........HAIRBALL

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my solution to the screw problem. First I'd drill and tap some new holes with a standard size thread close to what is used now. Then I would use a brass screw with a piece of brass plate solder in the slot of the screw head. Now you don't have to worry about finding the right size Allen wrench or screw driver to fit the screw head.

Here's a pic of what I made for one of my jigs. It's a 10-32 slotted screw with a pieces of brass bar soldered in the slot head. You could also buy a "winged" nut at the hardware store.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 10/17/2019 07:54:55 AM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Here's my solution to the screw problem. First I'd drill and tap some new holes with a standard size thread close to what is used now. Then I would use a brass screw with a piece of brass plate solder in the slot of the screw head. Now you don't have to worry about finding the right size Allen wrench or screw driver to fit the screw head.

Here's a pic of what I made for one of my jigs. It's a 10-32 slotted screw with a pieces of brass bar soldered in the slot head. You could also buy a "winged" nut at the hardware store.

Bernd

Wow, Bernd, that must have taken a bit of finagling to get that on right. I would not have thought about doing that. I had left a review on MicroMarks page about the screw, the box is great, the screw needs replacing. Still, a unique solution to a common problem. Thank you for sharing.

Tony Burgess

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  10:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bernd's idea is excellent!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nelson & Dave.

Here's how easy it is to make.

I used a 10-32 screw and a piece of 1/4" wide by 1/16" thick K&S brass.

I cut a piece about 5/8" long, file a sort of knife shape on one edge and use a 3 cornered file to open the slot on the screw head so the piece of 5/8" long brass piece fits in the slot.

And then solder the piece of brass in the slot.

That's all that's to it. Hope this helped. Oh, it works on all sizes of screws, even metric. Just make sure to use brass.

Bernd

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  12:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, looks easy, now you show it in pictures. Great tutorial.

Does the brass and steel solder well together? I haven't seen (or specifically looked for) a slotted 3mm x 4mm long screw in brass, or any size like that in brass.

It will be a good thing to keep in mind for other situations, though.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  12:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I did find some m3 x 5mm brass on Amazon, about $15 for 30. The 5mm length might be too long, sticking out from the bottom of the jig, they would have to be filed off. I just wonder about the integrity of the brass after dozens of uses? Personally, the phillips is fine with me, I don't have to get my fat fingers in there, when a handy screw driver works well for me, but for other uses, not a bad idea.

Tony Burgess

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

The first picture is black and white. The winged bolt is made totally of brass. I did it on the scanner. The one I show in the second set of pictures is total brass also. I think you can solder brass to steal. Might need a bit more heat.

I haven't seen any brass metric screws either. I think $15 for 30 is a bit high. I always buy the longest screws I can get. It's easier to shorten them than trying to lengthen them. Hard to do, lengthening them.

quote:
I just wonder about the integrity of the brass after dozens of uses?

It looks like the jig is aluminum. I'd say the aluminum will wear out before the brass screw.

As many times as I've looked at that jig picture of yours, I'm wondering if I could make one out of steal. The slot looks to be 1/4" wide.

Bernd

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony,

The first picture is black and white. The winged bolt is made totally of brass. I did it on the scanner. The one I show in the second set of pictures is total brass also. I think you can solder brass to steal. Might need a bit more heat.

I haven't seen any brass metric screws either. I think $15 for 30 is a bit high. I always buy the longest screws I can get. It's easier to shorten them than trying to lengthen them. Hard to do, lengthening them.

quote:

It looks like the jig is aluminum. I'd say the aluminum will wear out before the brass screw.

As many times as I've looked at that jig picture of yours, I'm wondering if I could make one out of steal. The slot looks to be 1/4" wide.

Bernd

Yes they are about a quarter inch wide the UMM is about 230 the micro mark is about .255 or .260, as I remember from measuring this morning, since I am at work right now

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  10:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony,

quote:

Bernd

Bernd, I just wanted to mention, now I am home, it is aluminium, I bought it in December of 2011, and have not seen any sign of any wear from using it over the last 8 years. It cost me $20 back then, it went down to $18.95, and now sells for $12.95. This is the kind if 'deflation' I like to see. So it is a pretty good price as far as I am concerned. I think they did it out of aluminium to keep it light, keep costs down, and ease of manufacture, as steel would be harder to cut the narrow slots in it, which only accept the thin razor saw blades that go with it. but that is only my thoughts, I don't know for sure. Speculation can go all sorts of ways, and I don't like to speculate too often.

Hope that helps in some way.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Drill bits for steel?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000