Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Tender Mods
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Steam Shop
 Bachmann Tender Mods
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New England Steam  

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  6:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have modified a Bachmann long USRA tender to work with a Heritage (Proto 2000) locomotive. See attached photos. I have added a brass "stem" to the tender to fasten to the loco draw bar. First of all, many thanks to Bernd for making the brass stem as per my drawing. This was key to my modification. He did a fine job and I had the part I needed in a week. THANKS BERND! The stem has a 2-56 threaded hole through the center. I set the stem back from the front of the tender to the same dimension as the original Heritage tender. By the way, the Bachmann tender is almost identical in size and shape as the Heritage tender. I added a brass shim to the bottom of the Bachmann tender, JB welded in place, to reinforce the floor for drilling and tapping a 2-56 hole. The brass shim is 1/4 inch wide x 3/32 thick (needs to be narrowed a bit to fit). I added a 2-56 screw through the bottom up into the brass stem, tighten with some blue Lok-tight and thats about it. The Bachmann tender has an opening in the front just almost made to accomodate the loco draw bar. Some light filing was required to clear the top of the stem but this is covered up and is not visible when connected to loco. Photos show top view of the Bachmann tender before mods. There is a side view of the "undec" shell. The tender was originally lettered for Chesapeake & Ohio. I used G0J0 hand soap (original formula) applied to the sides of the tender about 1/16 inch thick, covered in clear wrap to keep GoJo from drying up, and let set for abut 24 hours. The lettering came off with just a light scrubbing with a tooth brush under running water. I hope this might help someone else who has a damaged Heritage tender but a good loco. Thanks....John

Download Attachment: 140_opt.jpg
68.44 KB

Download Attachment: 143_opt.jpg
59.63 KB

Download Attachment: 146_opt.jpg
71.6 KB

Download Attachment: 147_opt.jpg
81.36 KB

Download Attachment: 149_opt.jpg
80.35 KB

Download Attachment: 152_opt.jpg
76.44 KB

Download Attachment: 153_opt.jpg
58.8 KB

Download Attachment: 154_opt.jpg
59.23 KB

GULF COAST & WESTERN

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  7:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an interesting project. Look forward to seeing it progress farther.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,

You are very welcome. I like little projects like this. Easy to do and quick. Glad it worked out.

Have to say that is the strangest tender draw-bar I've ever seen. I'd be afraid it would break every time the engine gets picked up. Maybe you need a brass one when it does. I know somebody that could make one.

Bernd

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  4:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can get a very tough yet flexible plastic from the plastic handles of fruit baskets.
Works great especially if you need the drawbar to be insulated.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  7:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. Karl, as you know I have a diesel decoder project going on also and there is an update now posted on the DCC forum. Bernd, I'll let you know if this thing falls apart.
I have several additional photos showing:
1. Top view of the tender frame. The odd shaped end of the draw bar fits under the P2k loco.
2. End view of loco end of tender shell showing enlarged area for loco draw bar.
3. Photo of inside of tender shell showing enlarged opening.
I plan to install a TCS steam decoder in this tender using a TCS mini 6 pin plug to connect to loco. The loco I am planning to use was purchased with a damaged wire connector and the P2k tender had some damage. The 609 loco in other photos is a P2k Colorado Southern. The loco for the modified tender is a Burlington loco. Both are 2-10-2 type and came with QSI decoders. I will try to post photos of the tender after the decoder install. Thanks....John

Download Attachment: 001_opt.jpg
70.55 KB

Download Attachment: 007_opt.jpg
78.44 KB

Download Attachment: 008_opt.jpg
89.42 KB

GULF COAST & WESTERN

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
Now that's what I call MODELING. Great start, looking forward to the final test run. Thanx Thom...

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For use fantastic modeling John! Using great ideas and workmanship here. Looking forward to your continued progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Topic Next Topic: New England Steam  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000