Railroad Line Forums - My last Gazette
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 My last Gazette
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Monday Morning Lounge is Open Topic Next Topic: Sunday daybreak lounge
Page: of 3

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  8:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing is that maybe the pay out to the author isn't financial enough to warrant the time spent ? So lack of submitted articles.

If memory serves me correctly somebody on a MRR group had gotten a response from NGSLG ???? that they had plenty or articles already submitted. Also somebody else said after 2 years they had still not used his submission nor turned it down and sent it back.

So as you reap so shall ye sow.

I once wrote to an automotive modified car magazine about submitting an article with pictures and the very minor return for work submitted was minimal. End of that idea.

Of coarse HO is always going to be the scale of choice for the magazines, as the amount of people modeling in HO vastly outweighs O, with S even farther behind. Probably N is way more popular than O S.

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  8:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I'm gearing up to do another couple of series of 'articles' /builds which I'll more than likely describe/post on this forum. I've had a long term 'downtime' as far as writing goes, but I needed to focus on research and technique idea development. It's ..mainly been research, but I've got my new modeling studio pretty much ready to go and I've figured out a workaround for some of the issues which have hampered my modeling.

I'm not one to post on facebook, so I'll probably try to find another forum to post to in addition to this forum. Identifying that second posting location is one of the items currently being researched. I have looked at the facebook railroading and weathering sites, which all appear to be very good and active. I have ruled out facebook however due to the limited ability to search for topics and there appears to be some real issues if one wanted to create and document a model/diorama over time.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  9:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your most likely going to have the best response to your efforts on this site. !!!

Facebook, way too many people hating on it and site is not secure , no matter what they say.

mike lynch.........HAIRBALL

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new project from KP????? OOOHHHH!!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have enough NGSL issues to last a lifetime + RMC + MRR. Plus plenty of ideas on RLF.

Philip

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im still getting the Gazette in the mail why?.... But I did cut up all my gazette's from 1975 on up. Cut all the articles out that interested me and ended up with a big pile I have to organized NOW. I did that years ago with my MR and my RMC mag's to. I was going to throw them out so I figured I'd save something for my future modeling interest. But as time marched on.... I rarely look through them anymore and I'm sure not modeling anything at all I even sold some of my Rare O scale kits on e-bay this year which I thought I would never do

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig if your selling all this stuff what are you saving for the RR your building??

How is that coming along?? Now that the room is all finished.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris looking forward to some new words of wisdom from the Wizard.

Lets get it started the sooner the better!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  5:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, Been changing stuff off and on in the basement My new thing now is buying a little at a time Dricore 2x2 subfloor panels to put down on the basement floor www.dricore.com Put some items on evil-bay Buy it now ONLY and they all sold didn't make a dent I have to much junk.

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  6:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am always in market for On3 On3 , got anything coming up and sellers name ???

Huuuum , if your listing evil bay buy it now and paying 9--10% fees, why not list some items in RRLF swap area.

mike lynch-------------HAIRBALL

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just why do you need Dricore panels???

Its a basement not your living room...

Jerry

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,

I read a while back in a few of your older posts, that you were putting old barn wood and steel sheeting on your walls. Then, you decided to add insulation and other old wood on top of the earlier layer. Then, later on, you drywalled ?? over the previous layers of old wood ? OMG, that's going to be one heck of a "steam room", with the addition of Dricore panels to the floor!
If you have to have any friends over for OPS sessions, the had better leave their clothes outside.

Rich

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  01:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich & Jerry. I have more than ONE wall in my basemen.... I put up drywall on 2 walls.....I put up old barn wood on 2 sections and old barn metal roofing I have done a whole lot of in the basement BUT you know WHAT? I took a bunch of the stuff off the walls BECAUSE after looking at it for some time I did not like it now i'm going in a different direction. Rich I did not add old wood over the previous layer of old wood???? ----The Dricore subfloor system is going on the basement floor watch some U-Tube clips on how its done..... Once it's down you can put what ever you want over it =carpet-tile- wood flooring= and NEVER worry about[moisture] seeping up and causing problems latter One of these days ill make up my MIND.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,

What I was trying to understand was how much extra work you were having to do to complete your room. If it were me, and it's not of course, I would have settled on the drywall for all of it, as long as it is a waterproof area. AND, all of this would be more visible to us, with no explanation needed, if you would have shown some pictures of the areas you were questioning, then we could give better suggestions.
Rich

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another thing is that maybe the pay out to the author isn't financial enough to warrant the time spent ? So lack of submitted articles.

Ok, you will never get rich writing for model RR'ing magazines and if you are lucky you might just barely recover costs of materials. Forget about some fanciful hourly rate that you can bill at - just not going to happen

quote:
If memory serves me correctly somebody on a MRR group had gotten a response from NGSLG ???? that they had plenty or articles already submitted. Also somebody else said after 2 years they had still not used his submission nor turned it down and sent it back.

Helps to understand how publishing such magazines works or doesn't. They only have so many pages and space for article after the space for all of the advertising is set - all that comes 1st. Really. The articles come last. Go look at the Gazette or whatever other mag you have about and subtract off the amount of space/pages left from the total number of pages. That's what's left for articles and then those have to fit around those page limits. It might ~60% for articles or as low as 40% depending on the publication. Right there is a reason why some Editors turn perfectly good articles back - they know it's not going to run for 2 or more years and they don't want it to get stale or to irritate the authors by sitting on it. Rejection is not always about the actual article. Oh, and those Editors that sit on stuff are mismanaging their magazine submissions inventory and need to communicate with their authors better. Failure to do that is a self-inflicted wound.

As an Editor of one magazine right now I know what 80-90% of the publication's Table of Contents will look like through 2020. Putting together a magazine is not done at the last second.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Monday Morning Lounge is Open Topic Next Topic: Sunday daybreak lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000