Railroad Line Forums - My last Gazette
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 My last Gazette
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saturday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Your favorite songs
Page: of 3

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  6:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The current issue of the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette will be my last one, as my subscription has expired. I'm just not finding a whole lot that interests me these days. It has been my favorite magazine since I discovered it after my return to the hobby over 30 years ago.

No idea if it's me or the lack of content that interests me; a friend recently said he feels the same.

Some of the authors have been contributing for what seems to be decades, I can tell who the author is before I read the byline. Sort of like never ending stories.

I find more interest in two Facebook groups that I moderate - Modeler's Guild (9500 members) and Scale MOW & Logging (1200 members), with daily awesome modeling photos and articles from modelers all over the world. Keeps me busy!

Any other members here feeling the same way about the Gazette?
Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  7:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob while I never looked at the Gazette many off us are dropping magazine subscriptions. I find belonging to the 2 FB groups that you moderate is a faster pace and with pictures pretty much on every post visually is a better feel for me. Problem is now I spent time chasing the groups of which I belong to too many.

TomO

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  8:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Bob. I kept up with Railroad Model Craftsman magazine, and the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette as they were the best two for scratch building ideas and information. Seems like I'm now old and tired, or these magazines don't have anything to offer anymore. I'm in the same boat as you I guess.
Your Scale MOW & Logging group sounds good. But I'm so old school I don't have facebook, or a phone newer than a flip phone.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  07:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They need to change the name to the Colorado Narrow Gauge Gazette as that's about all that's ever in there. I'm a shortline fan so the mag misses the mark for me.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, just signed up for the logging and MoW group. Didn't know you had the second group. One thing I don't like about Facebook is that there is no way of following a subject. There seems to be no structure if you wanted to write a build. Even tougher is trying to find something you saw and want to reference again.

As far as Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette is concerned I have to agree on it's content. It has been diminishing in build articles and interesting subjects. I have asked myself many times in the length of time that the magazine has been around, wouldn't you eventually run out of short lines to write about?

I gave up on MR many years ago when the scratch building articles became fewer and train control (DCC) started to increase.

As far as RMC is concerned I'm still going to continue my subscription. I think Otto Vandrak is trying to take it to where it used to be. I was a bit sad that Bob Walker was leaving. What I didn't know was how old he was and his varied background in modeling. That's something you are not going to find in the people getting into the hobby today. Also it seems scratch building is slowing down since many modelers are more interested in Ops than building structures, cars, engines, etc. That's why I like this forum out of all that I am on and have been a member of.

P.S. Louis, I still have a flip phone too.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Bob, just signed up for the logging and MoW group. Didn't know you had the second group. One thing I don't like about Facebook is that there is no way of following a subject. There seems to be no structure if you wanted to write a build. Even tougher is trying to find something you saw and want to reference again.

As far as Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette is concerned I have to agree on it's content. It has been diminishing in build articles and interesting subjects. I have asked myself many times in the length of time that the magazine has been around, wouldn't you eventually run out of short lines to write about?

I gave up on MR many years ago when the scratch building articles became fewer and train control (DCC) started to increase.

As far as RMC is concerned I'm still going to continue my subscription. I think Otto Vandrak is trying to take it to where it used to be. I was a bit sad that Bob Walker was leaving. What I didn't know was how old he was and his varied background in modeling. That's something you are not going to find in the people getting into the hobby today. Also it seems scratch building is slowing down since many modelers are more interested in Ops than building structures, cars, engines, etc. That's why I like this forum out of all that I am on and have been a member of.

P.S. Louis, I still have a flip phone too.

Bernd

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  10:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dropped both of my RMC and the Gazette subscriptions a few years ago when I realized I was looking the pictures and then never going back to read any of the articles.

Ok, so now I get both now through WRP and I'm still barely reading any of the content, probably less of RMC with the departure of Bob Walker. But I have to state that the last Gazette was the 1st issue in a long time which actually had stuff in it that sparked my building interests.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In fairness, any magazine can only print the articles that authors send to it. But I sure hope RMC can find a worthy successor to Bob Walker.

I've been less than excited by MRH's content this year, too.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 09/11/2019 1:26:25 PM

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

MRH has become a joke, what happened to free. The good articles are in the paid addition.

The main reason I enjoyed the Gazette is the Mallory Hope Ferrell articles. Now that he is gone, probably be my last year.

There is no one around to write articles anymore that aren't a rehash of what has come before.

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 09/11/2019 11:04:49 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  1:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

In fairness, any magazine can only print the articles that authors send to it. But I sure hope RMC can find a worth successor to Bob Walker.

dave

I agree to what you've said Dave. With all the RTR items available to the newer modelers I don't think you are going to find to many that write about kit building, kit bashing or scratch building. Especially on MRH since their interest is high in Ops and large layouts. I like going to the MRH forum for a good chuckle every now and then.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the modelers here should think about applying to RMC for a 'scratchbuilding' column. We have several good modelers who can also describe their work and take good photos of it.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of people dawning their SEAGULL SUITS, squawking away.

How about those who are dissatisfied , hitting their cameras , keyboard and submitting articles worthy of what they perceive to be the general interests of an extremely diverse hobby. Do you do O On3, Hon3, Sn3, On2, heck even Gn15-18.

And when you do submit said article for publication , are you mentally ready for any brutal criticism coming your way ??????

Now back to the seaside pier looking for fries.

mike lynch------------- HAIRBALL

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  2:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we have taken this original thread elsewhere, IMO kit bashing is going to be big again in the next few years. I am building a shelf layout. I believe from the Modelers I know in the Madison, Wi. area that many are building shelf layouts and kits just donít fit. On my not sure if itís a big, small or medium sized layout, I have very little room for kits. I have 2 kits in the Paper Mill and everything else is modified or scratch. If you had told me that before retirement in 2014, no way would I have thought that. I am a member of Bobís FB Modelers Guild and I am impressed by the work being shown there. I know I have generalized my states and shelf layouts, scratch or kitbashing are not for everyone.

I agree RMC has taken a good turn with Otto V. at the helm. Also, there are many Modelers in this forum who could handle a scratch built article every couple months or so.

TomO

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RMC,used to support all the scales and always had sketches/plans for a scratch build of some sort. The past 2 years very little material for anything other then HO. The articles are not coming in from authors.
MRH still has the weekly photo fun thread with some very good contributions. There are no SBS builds on kits or scratches that I see. It appears many are spending time on the social media sites.
Great for viewing, but no substance for follow up. Mostly I miss the scratch building segments in RMC..and other publications as well..

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. It seems a lot of the "old guard" are retiring or moving on. Bob Walker comes to mind as a good example. It's time for changes. I think the industry is evolving and I'm afraid that, like brick-and-mortar stores, magazines may be going by the wayside. That being said, I always see new companies advertising in model railroad magazines. Perhaps it's only a "changing of the guard".

On a slightly related note, I was lucky enough to get a full-page write up in the latest Gazette issue- Page 13!! Thanks Bob Brown!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

RMC,used to support all the scales and always had sketches/plans for a scratch build of some sort. The past 2 years very little material for anything other then HO. The articles are not coming in from authors.

For reasons unknown, people are not willing to write for publishing and maybe that's the impact of social media, etc. It's "too much work..." or it's "too much like work...". And then folks wonder why magazines dry up and blow away....

OTOH, I've written more articles than I can count (it's written down somewhere....), and I've written another 6 articles in the last 10 days. I've got another to write on the desk right now and then another scratchbuilt structure to write up as soon as it's completed.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Saturday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Your favorite songs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000