Railroad Line Forums - New Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 New Layout
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt 1.7.7.1 Important Update Topic Next Topic: New layout-upper level  

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  11:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After several months, Bill, The Track Planner and I have finally settled on my layout design. There is also a staging area under the lower level but I did not post it. The upper level plan now has a passing track (double track) on the right hand end also. I just hope I can upload my resized pics. Open for comments. Thanks to Dave Emory for info on The track Planner.

Download Attachment: Holt_V2_opt.jpg
183.4 KB

GULF COAST & WESTERN

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  01:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you "walk" around the plan, you have to walk around the peninsula to follow a train. Would suggest changing the plan to have the tracks not cross each other on right end. Are you having 2 main tracks to run 2 trains because you plan on using DC vs DCC.? With DCC & passing sidings you can get by with single track.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy, with John's 36" minimum radius, Bill may not have been able to do the central peninsula without crossing the mains at the base.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  12:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Think it could still be be done with some "tweaking" If it hasn't been built yet. redo the plan in a cad program. Think operators will get very tired of walking around the peninsula to follow a train. Of course if the owner is the only operator from a central location, it doesn't really matter. Is it going to be DCC?

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  2:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Andy that it could be done. It would require taking out the straight sections of track against the wall on the right.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James & Andy....Thanks for your thoughts. The layout will be DCC. I was trying to hold to 36 inch radius curves because I have some articulated locos and wanted to run passenger cars on the main lines. The track crossover provided much more usable space and added some "depth" to the layout. The first iteration of this layout did not have the crossover, but with the room only 13'-7 wide, those 36" rad curves at 180 degrees, ate up 12 foot of space pretty quick and just didn't look all that great. The layout is designed for about 65% mainline running and 35% operations. There is a single line track on the upper level with several sidings. The upper level is around the walls only with no peninsula. The only double track on the upper level is a passing track at the right end of the layout. I am in west Texas, about 185 miles from any railroaders who participate in operations, and I like to run some long trains, so I will be running/operating by myself most of the time. As most will see, the down side to this layout is #1..the single track helix and #2..is I will have two liftout/swingouts at the entry door. There will also be staging under the main layout. The helix has entry & exit points on it and I am sure will be a challenge for me to build. I am 71 yrs old, divorced and doing all the work by myself. I just hope I live long enough to see some trains run. Thanks....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

Edited by - john holt on 09/03/2019 3:04:26 PM

Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt 1.7.7.1 Important Update Topic Next Topic: New layout-upper level  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000