Railroad Line Forums - Ferris Wheel Restart
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Ferris Wheel Restart
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 5

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  8:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Itís taking shape wonderfully.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  10:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob and Carl, thanks for looking in. I've been building, cutting, and fitting the chair hardware while the wheels are being reworked. You are looking at the backside. The power unit and ticket booth etc. will be on the other side.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  10:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, it's going slower than I had hoped. Still some mechanical things to sort through.

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, just in case you want to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PeQCPq8QA

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Nice work, a true Master of all Trades...thanks for sharing above and beyond...

Rich

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Jim, just in case you want to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PeQCPq8QA

Thanks Frank!

It wasn't quite that bad, but now those lights do look intriguing. Nah, ain't gonna do lights.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich, Appreciate you checking it out.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little update on the project. Here's a few shots to show a little forward progress. After the wheel rework/rebalance I started fitting the seats into the bearings. A little deviation was corrected with some .5mm nylon washers I made. That allowed the seats to go through a complete revolution and stay right side up.

Camera angle makes it look wonky, it's not.

GPL stopped by and is wondering what's going on.

After the inpection, the final 15 seats, axles, bearings, and bearing caps were put on. The wheel turns much better than I anticipated.

The microbearings work so smoothly, that the overhead ceiling fan was moving the wheel. It looked like a perpetual motion machine. So the major mechanical problems were worked out. Next came the animation power. These self-contained power units (eBay around $8.00 are what I used on the Carousel and the Tilt-a-Hurl (thanks Frank!)

This time 10 RPM would be launching the customers into low Earth orbit, so I had to slow things down. One (1) RPM looked about right. So I needed to build a 1:10 ratio reduction. Well, the wheel is 255 mm in diameter, and 25.4 mm is an inch so I needed to run a 1 inch wheel to drive that 10 Ferris Wheel. The only problem was coming up with a rubber 1" wheel that I could mount on the output shaft of that power unit. A trip to the hardware store had me looking for a piece of rubber hose that I could build some overly elaborate adapter to match up with the output shaft, and then I spotted a 1" Faucet washer. A $.35 solution! Exactly 1" with an 1/8" hole, smack dab in the middle! All I would need to do was build a 6mm I.D. adapter to about a 12 mm face. Another piece that would keep a 3mm screw centered in the 1/8" hole. About a 30 minute job.

My internet is running so slow, I'm afraid with the local rains that I'll lose this connection...more later.

Jim

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  8:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Good, Jim!

Watch out for the GPL, though, she may be an undercover zoning inspector or something!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Jim.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Looking good. Friction drives can give you infinite gear ratios. Good solution to your problem. Can't wait to see how you are going to use it to turn the "Big Wheel".

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete and Jerry.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  08:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd thanks for checking in,

I'm building a motormount for the power unit. I set the unit in place to observe the speed of the big wheel, and it looks good. But the flexibility of the big wheel wants to 'walk' into the drive wheel. So, I'm working on a compensating adjustable skew plate to fine tune that out.

Jim

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating stuff.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Carl said, fascinating !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000