Railroad Line Forums - Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Colorized Civil War composite portrait Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 4

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2020 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought one of these about ten years ago and as the others have said, it runs well. It's a nice generic Baldwin from about the late 1880's on, except the later pilot and perhaps additional details. I'd read the sound was not good so did not get that option. The new one has the Soundtraxx Economi sound, presumably better. I might retrofit mine.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  11:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike:

I've read online where several have had positive experiences with the retooled Athearn/Roundhouse line.

I am a bit hesitant to spend the money to have a DCC/sound equipped engine that will not have all the nice features that the Tsunami 2 (and similar offerings from other decoder mfg'ers) brings to the table. However, it really does seem like the most painless way (in required effort) to enlarge my RTR roster at this point.

My 1880s era hasn't been gaining much traction since getting my layout up and going. (Instead, being fully involved with my diesel era.) So perhaps such a purchase might be a way to inject a dose of impetus into my 1880s theme. As for the layout, this summer I will be packing all equipment and clearing the bench work and commence installing the backdrop boards, sealing/smoothing of same, and getting them painted sky blue. I also intend to install the overhead lighting valance and LED lighting and possibly front fascia installed. That done, at this point I'm entertaining the idea of going back with my 1880s era and giving it a go, hence my desire for a couple more RTR engines.

In view of the silence of opinions regarding which color combo to consider, I'm likely going with a conservative approach and purchasing a UP w/sound that comes in basic black and what should be easy-to-strip lettering.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  1:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding color, I think Id opt for the simpler scheme for the 1880s.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  2:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Regarding the B&O livery: I would have been fine with the dark green cab/tender/etc color(Baldwin used dark green, I think), but I struggled with the boiler color depicted at the Athearn site. Simulated planished steel (gun metal, or even silver) would have been much more appealing to me.

Still undecided as to whether to actually spend the $$.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  12:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So I went with the UP #152 version.

Ought to receive it sometime next week.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs and hearing the sounds.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  08:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who has the best price?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl:

I purchased from an eBay vendor. The base price was $220.98 w/free shipping. Taxes brought that up to about $240. There was a B&O available at the same price, but it appears to have sold as it is no longer listed. Currently there are a couple or so ATSF (w/oil bunkers) and a D&RGW in the gaudy "Bumble Bee" available at that price, but I do not want to deal with the oil bunker (my engines will be representing coal fired engines) nor the garish paint of the D&RGW version, so I opted for the coal burning, plain black scheme of the UP offering.

Not many of these engines are on eBay right now. The bulk of those that are, are being offered by Horizon (Athearn) Hobbies. I don't know whether that reflects they're just starting to be listed, or they're already in short supply.

Could be another one of those "buy now or do without" situations, which is why I have one on the way. I may purchase another after next month's hobby fund deposit hits... if they're still available at an acceptable price.

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  11:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Tracking # shows my 2-8-0 package to have arrived here at my home town post office this morning. Should be out for delivery tomorrow. However, this afternoon (waiting on a UPS delivery between 11 AM -1 PM) I may go down to the post office to see if they have it and if they'll hand it over the counter to me. Now ain't this sumpthin'?

All fer now.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update to the update:

I checked a bit ago and the 2-8-0 package was updated to "OUT FOR DELIVERY" status! SO... if all goes well, I'll have it in hand sometime this afternoon and a test run will be in order!!

Edited by - OK Hogger on 05/11/2020 1:14:22 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  5:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received. Arrived in good order. Nice looking engine. Updated details/etc. Smooth runner. (It will creep fwd/rev.) No chuff. All other sounds function, but no chuff.

I guess it's hit the 'net and see if I can find a fix or whatever.

First such failure out of the box for any of my DCC/Sound equipped engines, diesel or otherwise.

Andre

Tintic Range
New Hire

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  6:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked one up today, they are only now arriving at dealers, so you should see them start to be available in greater numbers in the next few weeks (hopefully).
I too opted for the UP version simply because it already has box headlights and will be easier to strip. I bought it specifically for kitbashing so the factory paint doesn't matter to me. However I have left comments on Athearn's facebook page before asking them to consider real 1890s-1910s paint schemes instead of the 1950s era schemes they insist on. For example, Denver & Rio Grande (no Western) in imitation aluminum, or Union Pacific in the Harriman Roman with Oregon Short Line sublettering. We'll see if those suggestions will be considered on the next run in ten years or so.

Out of the box though it looks pretty good. Nothing truly accurate or superdetailed, but something that I wouldn't mind just running on the layout as-is. It has all-wheel pickup on both drivers and tender and all the piping are freestanding separate parts. The sounds are very loud by default and will need to be turned down, but they sound good. The whistle is one of the best that I've heard, as it has the proper on/off fade transitions. It's pretty heavy too so should be a good puller.

Unfortunately though the wheels slipped on a 1.5% grade with no train. This will probably need traction tires on at least one driver set.

Tintic Range
New Hire

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like Andre added another comment while I was adding mine. My model has all the appropriate sounds, so perhaps the decoder on yours wasn't programed properly. Hopefully it's just a case of finding the right CV and turning it on.

And you're right, it is a smooth and quiet runner. At extremely slow speeds it slides like butter along the rails, with no sound from the drives.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  7:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tintic:

It already has a rubber "traction tire". Look at the rear driver.

I've already sent an email to Athearn advising them and asking for input. Also sent an email to Soundtraxx. (Seeing as it's Econami equipped.)

I'm not going to delve into the CV's until I hear back from Athearn, for any mucking about on my part may void the warranty. Very frustrating, for I was really looking forward to exploring the available sounds the decoder has stored in memory. First thing is turn off the turbo and eventually remove it. (Modeling the 1880s... still oil lamps.) Was also going to experiment with the various chuff tones/etc.

Crapola.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  9:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Andre and Josh. I ordered one of the B&O versions as I think they'll be easier to back date. Please keep the information coming. I, of course, will share what I get.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  10:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Soundtraxx was quickest to reply to my email, followed by Athearn. (I also heard from my friend that does my custom diesel DCC/Sound installs.)

All of them recommended resetting via CV8.

So I did. It now chuffs merrily up and down the track. Very smooth runner at creep speeds. Haven't had a chance do some tonnage tests, maybe tomorrow.

Now that I've sorted the no-chuff issue, I like the engine. Love its running performance.

Like you Bob, I'm now interested in looking at the B&O version that Bob just purchased. I "think" I would be interested in that version for an earlier sister engine to this one.

Oh, and once it was chuffing along like it should, I retired to the house smug in my problem solving skills. I then began to browse the Users Guide I had downloaded at the Soundtraxx site. Browsing along I found a listing for the default F key features. They are:

F0 Headlight
F1 Bell
F2 Whistle (sustain)
F3 Short Whistle
F4 Cylinder Cocks
F5 Drifting Enabled
F6 Drifting Disabled
F7 Dimmer
F8 Mute

Uh...

"F5 Drifting Enabled"???

SO, I now suspect I activated F5 "Drifting Enabled" during my "initial run" session and didn't know to hit F6 to turn it off. THUS: No chuff.

When I'm back out in my layout building tomorrow, I'll try it to see if I'm correct. If that's the case, then there was no "chuff" issue other than induced by the dreaded "I.D.10 T" error.

Don't I feel stupid.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Colorized Civil War composite portrait Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000