Railroad Line Forums - Dr. Ben for sale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Dr. Ben for sale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Campbells
Page: of 2

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another manufacturer heading into retirement. Selling off as two separate operations.
http://www.debenllc.com/Doctor-Bens-Scale-Consortium-_c_1.html

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave! On so goes on the trend these days. Sorry to see him going out also.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  6:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sorta wish I was in a good position to take over Dr. Ben's. Imagine owning the molds to Rubbles. That would be awesome.

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a perfect set of rubbles depot QUALITY dow corning type E kit , silicon molds. I also figured out how to do the hollow tower sections.

I re-issued with Toms permission the rubbles depot and many others until Dr bendover bought tom out.

madmike3434

mike lynch

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Thomas Yorke Rubbles original with the solid tower. I still don't have the guts to do Rubbles. Every once in a while I pull it out and go "soon" and put it back.

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the secret is painting rubbles before you assemble it. You can stain individual stones using 2-4 colours I used ink and alcohol mixes.

You can also paint the stones one colour I used floquil black in one experiment and then used ARTISTS GESSO over top and immediately wiped the excess on the INDIVIDUAL wall panel with a damp cloth. The gesso left a nice mortar joint in the stone and also left a nice film over the stones to tone it down. Floquil rust also looked great and trimmed the wood with earth shade.

The base needs to be done like concrete and an alcohol india ink washed over it to bring out the flaws in the cement.

I like to be able to pick up my models and handle them and not worry about the glued joint coming apart and hitting the floor > I use 1/4 sq basewood and apply a coating with a wood stick to 2 edges that will sit against the wall and the base.

That product is called HOUSEHOLD GOOP sold at home depot and other stores. Its a SILASTIC CONTACT CEMENT , retains some flexibility.

You can roof it with wood shingles, or Builders in Scale corregated iron or , builders in scale raised seam roofing .

I also built it once as a gas station, sinking main building into the wood base and putting a Berkshire valley gas station set out front.

Rubles depot was first produced as yorke kit ROCOPILA DEPOT then modified with diff right side end wall and the addition of the tower.

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I BUILT THESE 3 rocopila depots the pre rubles design at the same time using diff colours and roof coverings

https://s185.photobucket.com/user/madmike3434/library?page=0

mike lynch........hairball

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never used the stuff. I would think its being sold because of sales... nobody is buying.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

Never used the stuff. I would think its being sold because of sales... nobody is buying.

Craig

Perhaps YOU don't buy anything, but I recently bought him out of all of his HO scale random clapboard for some upcoming scratchbuild projects !! GOOD STUFF !!

Rich

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  11:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why would you purchase clap siding from dr bendover at higher prices , when its available direct from

https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/

I have bought from them for years and they also make AGED SIDING where the clapboard is deeper and you can feel the difference. They offer 5 1/2" high sheets 22" long.

mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hairball

why would you purchase clap siding from dr bendover at higher prices , when its available direct from

https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/

I have bought from them for years and they also make AGED SIDING where the clapboard is deeper and you can feel the difference. They offer 5 1/2" high sheets 22" long.

mike

Well, it's like this, probably because I get it sooner and it's always packaged nicely, arrives unscathed and it's my money !!

Rich

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  7:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Help me win the lottery. I'll buy it, and in the style of Art Fahey (bar Mills), I'll build a replica of Rubbles Depot and move my model business in it! Although I think it'd be too small. I'll worry about that later.

FYI for those who don't know- Bar Mills is in a replica of Strong Depot.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  8:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't buy From Doctor Bens company has nothing I want never did. I guess you know what I buy

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay i'll bite, what do you buy ?

Also when is the last time that Dr Bendover produced an award winning diorama ???????

That question has never been answered despite many attempts to get one.

mike......

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  7:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Well, it's my money !!

Rich

Best quote of the day.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/10/2019 7:29:20 PM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  10:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a good buyer would be a person/group that either already owns some product lines or are pulling several product lines together. I believe BEST did that at one point and I think that's a good way to build a solid business.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Campbells  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000