Railroad Line Forums - Reversed Emporium Seafood Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Reversed Emporium Seafood Company
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO scale graph paper available for free Topic Next Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build
Page: of 2

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the next update.

I have laid out and cut all the walls for the little office on the right side of the main building. Braced, painted and put in the nail holes in the walls. Also I painted the window casting.

After all the wall are glue together I added the corner trim. Since the office is on the second floor I made the trim 8' longer than the walls so there is open space under the office.

I have always set the buildings upside down to install the rafter tails. On this build I tried something new. In George's last kit he installs the rafter tails before installing the roof cards. This worked better than I hoped. Here is the office ready to be installed to the main building.

Installed to the main building.

Up next is some more detail on the flat roof. I drew up a diagram for the roof trusses on a 5"x7" index card. After building two I put them in place one quarter of the way in from each side wall.

Jim models the Santa Fe during the transition era. I went into my collection of signs I have collected over the years and found a sign that works. Front.

From back. Still have to go over white with A/I.

Time to start the peaked roofs on the lower part to the main build. I used Corrugated Metal Roofing from Northeastern Scale Lumber Co. It came in 11' widths. I cut these in half to 5'-6". I sprayed them with Rustoleum Automotive Primer dark gray and let them dry for a couple of days. I weathered them with Bragton weathering powers Rust,Dark Rust and Light Rust. I laid them upside down on a fold paper towel and marked of the back on 3' centers and cut them into 3' pieces. Now comes the fun part. I have for years had trouble getting the metal to stay stuck to the roof cards. It seems to pop off if you look at it wrong. I worked for years doing remodeling in homes. I found that anytime I had to take apart something that was installed with Silicone you almost can't blow it apart. So the next time I did a metal roof I used 100% Silicone as the glue, works great also give a lot of working time.

Here it is with the back side roof done except for the last run of metal roofing and cap strip. This is the brand of Silicone that I use.

Thank for looking until next time.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  5:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Emporium is impressive, although badly in need of a new roof. You do good work.

Mike

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: HO scale graph paper available for free Topic Next Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 20.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000