Railroad Line Forums - Rapido Passenger car restoration
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Rapido Passenger car restoration
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....
Page: of 3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice, Glen. It appears that cnrha.ca might still have some of the Scalecoat CN #11 green, if you don't mind working with solvent-based lacquer.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  10:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's been a few weeks but I'm back at it.
My decals arrived a couple weeks ago:

They were ordered from Back Cat publishing but were made by Microscale for CN Lines.
There are three sheets plus the instructions/placement diagrams.

Next I'll be masking and painting the black on the sleeper body.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Humm, three sheets to the wind, er water.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  12:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good one, Frank.

I masked and painted the black on the two bodies.

As I mentioned before the baggage car will be wearing the pre-54' all green scheme, except for the black ends, and the Sleeper will have the post-54 scheme with the black and yellow stripes.
Since these photos were taken I sprayed them with testors gloss and them I'll start to apply the decals when that cures in a few days to a week.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  09:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to revive this thread with some updates. I just finished applying the decals to the two cars yesterday.

I started with the baggage car since it would be the easier of the two. I used my calipers and some tape to mark where the decals would be going. For reference I had a few articles in the CN Lines magazine as well as some online photos and the Rapido sleeper 'Hudson Bay' that I had bought.

I used both Micro set and Micro sol yo settle the decals into place and remove the film edges around them.

Finished baggage car. I resprayed testors gloss-cote over the whole model to blend the decals in. When that dries, I'll spray dulcote over it for the final finish.

The ends on baggage cars were pretty minimal.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job with this project Glen. I've always liked your painting skills, and decaling work. Looks fantastic!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  9:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I also finished applying the decals to the sleeper

The Canadian National logo was similar to the baggage car, fairly easy after experimenting with the baggage car. The difficult part on the sleeper was the yellow striping.

The two yellow stripes on the body are two different sizes and styles. the bottom is just yellow, but the beltline stripe is yellow on the bottom and has a small black stripe on the top to border the green above.
As it is an 'E' series sleeper I decided to go with the name 'Evangeline' from the decal sheet.

The hardest strip was the top one though. Rapido incorporates the drip rail into the removable roof and that's where the upper stripe goes. I had a couple attempts before I got both sides right and set with some Micro-sol.

Finally I decaled the ends wit the car number, draft gear inspection stencils and the very small 'push' signs on the entrance doors.
I have since sprayed the sleeper body down with some glosscote so it will take some drying time before I can start re-assembling the car. I can start the re-assembling process with the baggage car shortly.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Glen I have to give you kudos here. Those stripes look perfect. You're lucky the decals were in good shape. I decaled a Family Lines loco and the stripes kept breaking.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  8:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank. The stripes actually did break a couple times, especially the roof ones. The stripes were also too short for the length of the car so each stripe is two parts spliced together. The Micro-Sol helps a lot with hiding the joints and breaks.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  8:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll join the chorus: Nice work.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  12:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
I started to reassemble the Baggage car

I sprayed dulcote on the painted surfaces and did some painting on the interior details. I also glued the weights back into place using Walthers Goo.

The windows were glued back in with the little metal inserts.

Then it was just a matter of snapping the interior walls back into place and slipping the doors between the interior and exterior walls. The roof holds the upper parts of the wall together to keep the doors from falling out. The frame is also snapped into place with the coupler attachment screws holding the ends to the car.

Even though the doors are made to open and close I think it's a bit more gimmicky than practical so I glued the doors in place with some Eileen's Tacky Glue (it can be peeled off if I want) Some open and some closed. I also added some luggage and crates that can be seen through the open doors.

I also added a Weston figure in the doorway for some added visual interest.
You can see a bit of the decal film edge around the 'Canadian National' but I'll have to live with that. All that is left is to add the grab irons, trucks and roof and the car is good to go.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 09/28/2019 01:03:53 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  09:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very fine work on the decals, Glen. Stripes are never easy, especially on long pieces of equipment and awkward spots.

Mike

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  10:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice touch with that classic Weston figure. Does add to the interest aspect.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You did a great job on those cars, Glen. I've done striping like that before on a Lackawanna baggage car and know how finicky it is. I especially like your addition of the interiors, too. BTW, tell that guy sitting around in the baggage car to get back to work.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

You did a great job on those cars, Glen. ................... BTW, tell that guy sitting around in the baggage car to get back to work.

OR, is he a well dressed hobo stealing a ride to another destination?

Louis

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000