Railroad Line Forums - Rapido Passenger car restoration
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Rapido Passenger car restoration
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: MDC/Roundhouse Gravel Cars
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up two Rapido Passenger cars off Ebay.
One is a Canadian National Baggage express

When I bought it I thought it was an original Factory paint. Well, turns out I was half-right.

It looks like it was originally painted in CN's pre-54' scheme, all green. Someone decided to modify the paint to the 54-61' scheme, adding the black and yellow striping. Unfortunately the yellow stripes aren't very well done so I'm going to strip it back down and repaint it in the original all-green scheme.

The good news is that the interior is intact and in good shape.

The second car the I go is a smooth-side duplex sleeper

This one was also fully intact but had been painted in Canadian Pacific Tuscan. My plan is to disassemble it, strip it and repaint it in CN's 54-61' green, black and yellow scheme.

Disassembly of a Rapido sleeper is pretty straightforward. Usually you just take the roof off, remove four screws that attach the interior to the frame and pull it apart (okay you have to finesse it a bit more than that)
However whoever painted the car also glued the frame, interior and windows together with some strange clear flexible adhesive.

I managed to cut the glue away and get the car apart. I will say this about Rapido. For as much detail they add to the car, it's construction is fairly robust. All the grab irons are metal and I found the side and end wall assembly to be very flexible.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Glen, that interior is lacking a ton in aesthetics, red plastic - white plastic. I can't wait to see what you do inside.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Another winner in the making, Iím sure. Your paint jobs are always excellent. Any detail work needed here?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  11:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project to follow. Looking forward to your progress here Glen.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Louis, Mike and Frank. I'm not sure what detailing I can do to the interior. I don't have any photos of the original so I don't really know what to add. Any suggestions?

As for the exterior, you can't really beat Rapido for details there. I just hope I can do a decent paint job.

I did manage to strip the paint on the body

I dunked the body in isopropyl alcohol for 9 hours and the Tuscan paint slide right off.
I had thought that this was a Canadian national car originally due to the 'ghosting' of the original paint job through the Tuscan but was surprised to find it was a yellow Union Pacific paint job. another overnight soak took care of the factory paint, leaving a bight yellow plastic shell.
The Tuscan paint was so thick that I had to wait until it was off before I could pull the metal grab irons off.

While I was at it I striped the paint off the trucks as well. The paint was chipped and was a gloss black. I'll probably repaint in a semi gloss with some weathering later.

I then turned my attention to the underframe. The UP cars came with these end side skirts. Canadian national didn't have them and instead had exposed stepwells. I was hoping that if I removed the skirts that the steps would be behind them.

Well the wells are there but no steps. I'll either have to find replacements of try to scratch build some.

So this is where the underframe is like now. I've decided to try to strip the paint on it as well. I'm not keen on the gloss black and I don't want to add another coat of paint and lose the detail so it's soaking in the alcohol as we speak.
I'll probably start to disassemble the Baggage car so I can paint both at the same time. I sure would like to find the lightweight coach to go with these two.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 07/28/2019 11:27:31 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  1:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a help?????
Cal-Scale has, or did have, these step details.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis, If my plan A doesn't work that might be a viable alternative.

I stripped the paint off the underframe of the sleeper.

It took a couple hours in the alcohol bath, followed by a very careful scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and then about an hour of picking the remaining black paint out with a dental pick and tweezers. That's all thanks to Rapido's insane amount of underside detailing. I'll probably be using my airbrush to spray the flat black so I don't cover any of the fine detail engraving.

I also managed to disassemble the Baggage car. It is a very different design.

The underframe is held in by the coupler screws and a few clips. It was fairly easy to pop off. Like the Sleeper, the underframe is one assembly which will make working on it very easy.

The two interior walls are held in by as couple of tabs in the floor, which is part of the main shell. removing the interior will also cause the sliding doors to fall out.

And that's as far as I'm going to take the model apart. I may remove some of the grabs when I finish stripping the shell. The Underframe and trucks still have the factory paint on it so I won't be repainting that. I will be repainting the roof as it was repainted in a gloss black but I don't think I'll strip it before.

When I removes the window glass from the doors I found these small pieces of metal sandwiched between the glass and door. These are for opening and closing the doors with Rapido's magnetic wand.

One thing I forgot to mention is that both cars have Rapido's easy-peezy lighting system. they're powered by a couple watch batteries and turned on and off with a magnetic reed switch.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen I was thinking of painting some areas to break up that stark molded plastic look for a simple makeover.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  10:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do. Right now I want to concentrate on the exterior.

I have managed to strip the baggage car down.

While I was scrubbing the paint off a few of the metal grabs fell off of came loose. I managed to find them before that went down the sink drain. It might be missing one of two from before I got it but those should be pretty easy to fabricate.
I have figured out the replacement steps for the sleeper, I just have to see if my plan works or not.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  10:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the steps for the duplex sleeper when I made a trip to a hobby shop 2 1/2 hours away this past week. There I found two things that will help me greatly.

In his used/ estate section I found a Rapido 'Bay' series sleeper. It has the same underframe layout as the duplex sleeper and it cost almost the same as my two project cars.

Most important I was able to get the measurements of the steps on this car to figure out fabrication of the steps on the project car.

I was also able to find this MDC Harriman observation car for a mere 5$. The steps on this car are fairly similar to the Rapido car.

However the prototype steps are considerably wider than the MDC steps so I had to splice two steps together to make one wide enough. That's also why I got the MDC car since it has 4 steps.

After the glue dried I added styrene 1X8 to the risers to mask the joint and to provide a bit of a lip to the front.

Now I've just waiting for the glue to cure before I can glue them to the frame.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 08/02/2019 10:59:01 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  08:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

This is going to be a fine model because youíre taking steps to improve the fidelity to the prototype.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  4:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. Each day I try to make a new step towards improvement

I glued the new steps in place:

I think they're quite passable, after all it's not a contest model.

After that was done I sprayed light gray primer on all the part to be painted.

The baggage car body and doors

The sleeper underframe

And the sleeper body and the truck frames.

Next I'll be spraying the CNR green on the bodies and doors, black on the underframe and trucks.
I have decals from Black Cat publishing on order. Hope to see those soon.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  08:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I painted the black and green over the past couple days

I used Polly-S Steam power black on the underframe, roofs and trucks. It's a nice warm black that comes pretty close to matching Rapido's original color.

I sprayed the paint in a few light coats, I didn't want to cover any of those fine details. I was originally not going to repaint the trucks for the baggage car or the sleeper's roof but I found some Tuscan over-spray on the roof and I wanted the trucks to match a bit better.

I then sprayed the green on the baggage and sleeper bodies, doors and interior.

I used Rapido's Proto Paint for the CN #11 Green. It took a couple coats for proper coverage. I initially had some difficulty with it.

I usually airbrush acrylics with my Badger internal mix brush but the Rapido Paint kept drying and gumming up the tip. I switched to the Pasche external mix brush and it worked allot better for some reason, even though it too had a tendency to gum up a bit. I thinned the paint a fair amount as well, just to prevent this from happening.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  10:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cars are really coming along nicely, Glen. Looking forward to more!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve never had much luck with acrylics, but I recently added a pressure regulator and discovered my compressor is wimpy.

Looks like youíre approaching the final stretch.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. Mike I usually airbrush with acrylics with success but this Rapido paint is very different. It actually reminds me of the Tamiya acrylics that I used to do some airbrushing with.
Right now I'm waiting for the decal kits to arrive. The Baggage/express car is finished in the paint shop but I need to add the black and yellow striping to the sleeper. I also want to do some detail painting of the Baggage/ express car's interior.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: MDC/Roundhouse Gravel Cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000