Railroad Line Forums - Xn-view software
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Xn-view software
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Emporium Seafood Co.  

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  5:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for suggestion re software for reducing size of photo images. That is the size of scale as printed, not size in terms of bytes or quality. I use xn-view for the latter. Does it also have a tool to reduce physical size/dimensions.
Thanks
Jim is

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  5:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intended to post sticy Signs for structures. While a long term member not an active poster to date. Sorry
Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  7:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Open Office as my word prepossessing software, but I'm sure Microsoft Office can do the same thing. Paste the picture to an Open Office document, right click on the picture and select “Picture”. You can then set the dimensions in inches, keeping the horizontal and vertical ratio. You can copy/paste that to what you are working on.

George

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest Irfanview! Free download and you can do a lot with it! Well worth the look.

Even NASA uses it!

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  05:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. As an old timer I use Word 2003 and cut paste and resize is more complex, at least for the time being. Need to experiment. Will try Irfanview later on when get to office and PC. Your input is appreciated.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  07:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use paint.net, another free download.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  07:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Image size is one thing but the image quality (resolution) is important as well.
You can leave your pictures larger if you reduce the resolution to get the file size under 200kb.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  08:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're on a Mac, Graphic Converter is one of the greatest apps ever. I've been using it for close to -30 years- (which says something about any product that's been around that long.) It does a lot of what Photoshop does, but it's a lot easier to use and a lot cheaper. https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter Support is pretty good, a couple of times I've had questions or problems and gotten a response from the developer within a day.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  11:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use XnView to size images when I want to post them here or any other site. There is no problem in doing that. Check the page at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24682
Regards, Vic B.
quote:
Originally posted by DSERR

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  11:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is what I think you are asking, then once you open a picture in XnView, you can go to "Image", then click on "Resize" and work with your picture size.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  7:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also Gimp, which is totally free software, and available for Windows, Mac and Unix

Jim F

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  11:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Image size is one thing but the image quality (resolution) is important as well.
You can leave your pictures larger if you reduce the resolution to get the file size under 200kb.

Rick makes an excellent point. For looking at the photo 'online', the resolution of your screen is no better than 72dpi (pixels) so any digital photo with a resolution greater than 72 dpi is sending the excess straight into the bit bucket. You'll never display them. Printing is a different story though. You might want to save the dumbed down version to a different folder without deleting the high resolution printable original.

Jim

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  05:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone, thanks for all the input and suggestions. The easiest method found is Irfanview. Still cannot get Xn-view to cooperate. My version is different and the resize screen is more complex. Anyway thanks to you folks my problem is solved. Also going to try using an older Adobe product called Photo Deluxe.

Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Emporium Seafood Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000