Railroad Line Forums - Modelling a Coal Mine
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Modelling a Coal Mine
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A Tilt-a-Whirl project Topic Next Topic: Gazebo/Bandstand  

mhdishere
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  09:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my recent move from NJ, into a train room with a house around/on top, I've been doing some back-of-envelope layout planning. I've decided that since I'm now a Pennsylvanian, my layout ought to include a coal mine, preferably an Anthracite mine. So far so good, plenty of kits and resources for modelling the head house, tipple, etc, right?

I want to include the underground portion of the mine too, with an opening under the benchwork showing the miners, maybe even the railway they used to get the coal from the work face to the shaft.

Has anyone ever seen such a model, or have any resources I could use to make it look, if not realistic at least believable?

Thanks in advance!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  10:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen that done. But I'm afraid I didn't save any of the images.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at these YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25H-5BeWvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ri269mopU

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert found you the best two YouTube videos that I've ever seem myself as well. I always liked the one by Toy Man (On30 Mine with full underground). A great information video on what you are interested in, is the Great Model Railroads Video by Allen Keller about Jim Hertzog's Reading that operates deep in the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the mid 1950s. This HO railroad runs from Shamokin to Tamaqua, Pennsylvania and interchanges with the Pennsy and the Lehigh & New England. It serves 12 coal mines and processing plants. He has may how-to's in this video as well, with great explanations of all the coal mine workings, and what goes on.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  8:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
toy man video of a very cool looking underground mine operation previously mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ri269mopU

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, from one Jersey refugee to another...

We just got back from the Salt Lake City Convention. While there, we visited Park City and in their little town museum, they had a model of a typical silver mine.

Here are some small portions.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a company that offered pre-cut wood pieces for Homestake style mining pillars and props (HO scale). I got a couple of packages and used them to build a mine entrance. Anyone else remember these?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mhdishere
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  3:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I've seen one of those videos before but not the one from Toyman.

I'm thinking I may use HOn30 for my mine train because I have some old N scale stuff I can sacrifice, including an old 0-6-0 tank engine I could rework into a small compressed air engine. I know 30" isn't common underground but Z scale stuff is too expensive to cut up.

I found a couple videos on YouTube of prototype mines, and how they were operated. I think I can come of with something that would be believable. Of course I'll post pics!

Previous Topic: A Tilt-a-Whirl project Topic Next Topic: Gazebo/Bandstand  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000