Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 209 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0
Page: of 34

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  6:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It reminds me of my Lincoln Logs, except for the chinking.

Frank

Uncle Pancakes
New Hire

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  7:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time trying to upload an image so forgive me if this does not work well! I've got some neat images from a ghost town we visited a couple of years ago outside Ouray Colorado that was full of neat modeling ideas and details. Guess I need to relearn resizing images!

Ted

Download Attachment: cabin_2.jpg
32.59 KB

"there is nothing in it but cornstalks and beanpoles" A. Lincoln

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, They were a lot of fun weren't they!

Ted, nice picture.

Bob

It's only make-believe

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Great job on the market! They do look fun.
Andre,
Cool pictures.

Scott

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2021 :  6:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here is the Kit built.

and the back side;

I enjoyed this kit. It was a little harder than the store but not bad. The biggest difference was that slot between the "log" was a little thinner making it harder to paint the morter lines. I like how Wild West gives you the option to have square windows or the ones I used with the peaked sashes. I think the house needs a front porch but looking at the over all design of the house and considering that it's prototype is in Colorado I concluded that the front door is the visitor door and that the back door with it's added entre is the main door to the residence. That is most probably the way I'll set it up when I plant it into the scenery. This Cabin is the first house in Millers Slough from when it was only a trading post on the slough. So the last was the first and now it's time to layout the slough. First though I must return to some mechanical engineering and resume work on my moguls.

Enjoy

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2021 :  7:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!! I really like that. The colors are good also.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  12:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Mike

It's only make-believe

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  1:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Really nice build! That building has an interesting shaped back side though.

Scott

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  7:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

That turned out great!

I like the mud room on the back of the structure. I figure those types of entrances were used during winter/inclement weather to help retain heat in the home (in the case of extreme cold) as well as keep the mess (if wet/muddy) out of the house.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  10:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott and Andre, Thank you. Yes, the mud room adds a lot of character to the building. As you guys who deal with it regularly know, The problem isn't the snow it's the mud.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to share a new (to me)product that I found on Shapeways. It is for a passenger car build by Harlem and Hellingsworth for the Long Island Railroad on 1867.. Take a look;

Great detail and it snaps together precisely. THIS IS NOT A KIT. you provide your own railing, truss rods, window glazing and any other details(like couplers and trucks) you want. He makes this available in White Natural Versatile Plastic for 58.22. If you want this car to blend in with some wood built passenger cars this material would be a good choice. I got as the pictures show, Smooth, Fine Detail Plastic for 88.74.
Here's a hotlink;
https://www.shapeways.com/product/8DTQWMYXR/ho-lirr-harlan-clerestory-coach?optionId=172772556&li=ostatus

Check out his shop. he has several interesting products available including Period freight cars and civil war wood beam trucks. Also of interest is a brass frame designed to use OLD tool Bachmann American parts (Driver spacing is different) that looks very promising.

Best, Bollinger Edgerly Scale Trains, Makes a line of stains. I'm pretty happy with my A&I black stains but I wanted more verity of brown stains. So I got two of his brown stains, Murky brown and Medium Cherry Brown. Here's the first test.
Before, stained with A&I blacks stains;

The Murky on the left the Medium Cherry Brown on the right;

I choose to tone down the red with some more A&I stain and this was the result;

I'm happy to add these stains to my tool box. I think they well be very useful.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  7:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That passenger car is something to behold.

Stains look good too.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  10:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stains look good. Hard to decide what to use to do the upper portion of the stone crusher building.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the meat market, Bob.

George

Fly Army

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  2:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks you guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the reviews. I really appreciate the support.
I'm still debating whether to put a roofed, front porch on the house to weather the rain of Oregon.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000