Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 178 ]  [ Total: 182 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Sliding door reefers?
Page: of 34

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bernd, but, I'm not happy with them. Too much warpage. I drew them from Marks (the British Guy) tutorials on Youtube. the bricks are, .6x1.5 MM. for N-scale bricks. after drawing I scaled up to HO.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  4:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, My printer is a Anycubic Proton and I'm using Anycubic Gray with a little Anycubic Green mixed in because I didn't want to waste it.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a quick post to show you my finished(?) Station Agent's resident.

This was quick 2 day project so my $10 provided a lot of fun. Quite a bargain really. This house will get a foundation when it's added to the scenery

Bernd, I'll have some information on 3D printing you might find interesting later today(I hope}.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  6:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I continue to make lemon-aid from my computer crash I am developing my 3D printing skills with the objective of eliminating failed or flawed print and getting better quality prints. Adding sufficient supports and proper curing are essential tp quality prints. "Support" is really misleading as in resin printing You are hanging your print from the build plate. So if you don't have enough support you get bottom edges that look like this;

You see how gravity introduced curves were there were not enough support (hangers) on the print.

If you keep this bottom line straight then each layer will build on it straight.

The above wall was printed with the automatic supports applied by the slicer program.

Now take a look at this aborted print of a passenger car side.

Notice the spacing at the top of model(bottom of the picture)? On these last layers most of the support is being provided by the model itself so a few supports are needed to prevent the model curving. This is not enough support for the first layers as demonstrated by the above wall print. Here you can see the supports I added;

Notice I manually added many more supports. About 3mm apart.
These are the results;

I still need to clean off the some support tips but it's looking better I think.
I sun cure my prints. I find I need to turn them every 20 minutes and not to put them in direct sunlight or they will curve as they cure.

I hope this has been informative.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

The little house looks very nice, especially for costing only $10. I like your roof modification.

The car side looks good.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I wonder if the add-on had a step enough pitch.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  08:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thanks for the printer info.

I've been doing a lot of surfing on resin printers, FB groups and videos. It'll be interesting when I get to finally print something to see what I'll run into.

I'll keep following along here.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  09:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Thanks Mike, I wonder if the add-on had a step enough pitch.

Bob

Bob,

No, the add-on roof is not steep enough, but thatís not the fault of the model. Itís the way of the world. In fact our 1800ís house has a shallow roof in one place and leaks have been a problem.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Thank you, after I was done, then, the little voice told me I should of tar paper that portion.

Bernd; All of the tutorials I have seen while very good, are on printing miniature fantasy figures. I have found that their techniques don't work well for straight lines and flat surfaces. So be careful.

Here's my test model with the right height this time;

I have one or two tests to make and if they turn out OK I'll start the detailed drawings. While the first is going through it's nine and a half hour print I'll start working on this;

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Don't know much about the 3D processes... but that's a neat little structure!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  12:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Building the Earl lee store is a joy. Wild West Scale Model Builders makes very fine kits. The materials are first rate and the laser cuts are precise. While the kits seem on the higher end of laser cut kits they have provided extras that are useful. The windows and doors are laser cut in cardstock. The windows can be posed open with ether 2x2 or 4x4 planes and trim with simple or
Greek revival trim.
I'm building mine as a meat market for Millers Slough. One of the earliest structures of the community. Here's where I'm at;

The colors I used are Red Iron, White Wash and Cinnamon for the log sides. The log sides have been spot washed black and brown washes.

Take a look at the log corners;

They look neat but I'm thinking The ends should not be so uniform in their length and I think the ends of the exposed beams should be a different color. I'm going to have to check a few prototype photos.

This be

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/12/2021 12:10:35 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  12:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it! Yer doin' good! What brand were those colors? (Or did I miss that somewhere?)

Watching with interest, 'cause I'm hoping to use a log structure for a rugged telegrapher's cabin up at the summit at Moccasin Pass.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  12:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Love it! Yer doin' good! What brand were those colors? (Or did I miss that somewhere?)

Watching with interest, 'cause I'm hoping to use a log structure for a rugged telegrapher's cabin up at the summit at Moccasin Pass.

Andre

No, they are craft acrylics. I'll get you the details.
And Thank you.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  08:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Bob. Looks like a fun kit.

Millers Slough continues to enjoy urban development.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  09:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like you're getting a hold of that 3D monster, Bob.

The meat market is looking good.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Ken Kidder Porter 2-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Sliding door reefers?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000