Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 216 ]  [ Total: 217 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Small 8 wheel hoppers
Page: of 28

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  3:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, George, Mike and Bruce Thank you very much.

Bob

It's only make-believe

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  1:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Outstanding work! You have a lot of drive;-). Nice details and like your SLA work as well.

Scott

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  4:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Scott! I appreciate it.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  12:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished assembly. Engine is ready for decals and a decoder.

It runs nicely too I posted a video on my facebook page.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  07:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous!

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's been a long and laborious trek for you to this point, but wow, look at your results! Way to go Bob!

Andre

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  07:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful loco, Bob!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  11:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Andre and Russ, Thank you very much.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been following this project since it's inception. It's been a great ride following along and watching this project come to a "beautiful" completion. I hope you don't weather the engine to heavily. Why? That's one nice paint job.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2020 :  12:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I've been following this project since it's inception. It's been a great ride following along and watching this project come to a "beautiful" completion. I hope you don't weather the engine to heavily. Why? That's one nice paint job.

Bernd

Bernd, Thank you so much. They'll be no weathering. The question is to use Semi-gloss or gloss over the decals. I like how she is now though.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  7:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking a break from the mogul I installed a decoder into my Bachmann NT American "Texas". This model was not available with DCC but I got one anyway. I figured it would be a good training project for me to learn how to install decoders and keepalives. And It was that. It come with a circuit board that has a 8 pin plug so that you can just plug in a decoder. Except there is no room for a over-the-counter decoder, speaker and keep alive with the circuit board and tender weights in the tender. So I removed them all but keep the circuit board wired to the harness that runs to the engine. All the wires (except the right rear tender pick up, which is Red) are black. So the only way I can tell which wire ran where was the codes on the circuit board. The codes were obvious except when it came to the headlight. And because there are some electronics components on the circuit board and I didn't know if those were associated with the LED headlight. They weren't I found the resistors for them in the Boiler and a quick test confirmed that. So I started moving one at a time the Wires from the circuit board to the decoder. Here's a picture of resulting Spider web of wires. On the tender floor you can see were I removed mounting studs for the removed components and other unneeded structures.

I tested it with out the keep a live and the decoder worked great. So I replaced the capacitor with a Currentkeeper. It's larger than the decoder. I then tucked everything into the tenders shell and gave her a good testing. And NO magic smoke!
The finished engine (on right);

The Bachmann come with a Soundtraxx decoder but this new one sound a lot deeper and richer on the default "light" setting. It might be the sugar cub speaker. I like this new decoder a lot and the Currentkeeper does help performance.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Railman, this is all interesting because a friend is working toward a dead rail layout with several Bachmann and older Mantua 4-4-0s.
Fitting sthings will be quite a challenge. Right now the plan sounds like there will be boxcars for the batteries, but everything is still evolving.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Railman, this is all interesting because a friend is working toward a dead rail layout with several Bachmann and older Mantua 4-4-0s.
Fitting sthings will be quite a challenge. Right now the plan sounds like there will be boxcars for the batteries, but everything is still evolving.

Yes, you're going to need a shoe horn and some special engineering. I get reliable performance with sound through the rails. I would rather invest my time elsewhere. Besides don't those batteries catch fire?

Each their own, just my personal opinion.

Bob

It's only make-believe

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Bob.
I envy you blokes who do electrical / electronic modification to loco's.
I'm hopeless with anything with wires.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  11:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Looking good Bob.
I envy you blokes who do electrical / electronic modification to loco's.
I'm hopeless with anything with wires.

Thank you Rob. Electronics is not my favorite thing but I like the results.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 28 Topic Next Topic: Small 8 wheel hoppers  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000