Railroad Line Forums - 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives
Page: of 7

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that isn't an NMRA Award Winning Structure, then I do not know what is! Wow! I salute you. Fantastic!

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David Guffey asked, "What's next?"

David,

I don't plan on doing another "build" for a while. I usually am half way into a project to think about doing the photos and text.

For years I filmed almost everything I did and edited that material into a DVD to sell. While I really enjoyed doing that, it meant I actually got very little built.

Right now I am almost done with a Bar Mills HO model of the Dock House at Cundy Harbor. This is a neat little kit that will be used in a harbor scene I am working on.

If I have something worthwhile to share I will do so. But no definite plans right now.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  5:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

David Guffey

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  08:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,
As mentioned earlier your build of this kit is exquisite in all respects as well as one of the most informative I have followed. I am particularly impressed with your signage. I have searched high and low for business/industrial decals and dry tranfers and have found nothing commercially available. It appears that you create your own as well as use photo copies of vintage advertising. Many years ago I figured out how to print lettered signs in MS word, but have forgotten how to do that. Bar Mills has some good billboard kits,for lettered signs and used them on an N Scale layout. Have you ever written or made a video regarding your signage. techniques?

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  2:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Signage is a fun part of the hobby for me.

I do not have a video on doing them as it is hard to make a video of me playing on a computer.

Plus all the usual sites I go change so often they are quickly out of date.

If we use my billiards sign as an examplr, I searched Goole for:

billiards sign

When I found one I liked, I dowloaded the sign and opened the download with my photo editing program.

I use Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 which came out about 20 years ago.

It is available on eBay. Easy to use.

I change the size of the photo to match the available area Ii have and print it out.

I only use Epson printers for my signs. The ink is waterproof.

I simply cut out the sign and glue it in place with Elmers Glueall.

If I need a detailed sign I print it on matte photo paper.

If you are ever in southern Idaho, stop by and I will teach you all I know.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  2:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrylhuffman

Signage is a fun part of the hobby for me.

I do not have a video on doing them as it is hard to make a video of me playing on a computer.

Plus all the usual sites I go change so often they are quickly out of date.

If we use my billiards sign as an examplr, I searched Google for:

billiards sign

When I found one I liked, I dowloaded the sign and opened the download with my photo editing program.

I use Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 which came out about 20 years ago.

It is available on eBay. Easy to use.

I change the size of the photo to match the available area Ii have and print it out.

I only use Epson printers for my signs. The ink is waterproof.

I simply cut out the sign and glue it in place with Elmers Glueall.

If I need a detailed sign I print it on matte photo paper.

If you are ever in southern Idaho, stop by and I will teach you all I know.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

DSERR
New Hire

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl
Your suggestions are appreciated. Looked into other alternatives for resizing but ultimately last Evening bought Photos deluxe... only 10 bucks including shipping!
Thanks again.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Darryl - I think this is a stunning build of this kit!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Mark.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark and others.

Thank you for your kind words.

I started building model structures when I was about five. We had visited Knotts Berry Farm and there was a display of a model of the Ghost Town. I was fascinated and have loved building models ever since.

My lovely bride of 49 years knows a vacation means driving through old brokendown ghost towns or other areas of urban decay.

She is always pointing out some old building in case I missed it. She is my biggest fan and points my best models on display in our living room.

I am also fortunate to have opened my first hobby shop in 1973 and a strictly train store in 1975. Through those ventures and my decision to film, edit and produce a series of model building VHS and DVDs, I have a world wide circle of friends who are all excellent model builders.

20 years ago I was going to 6 conentions a year. My focus was always the contest room where the best models are on display. I then focused on learning from the these fine model builders.

The invention of Yahoo groups also widened my exposure to fine model builders. I started and moderated such groups as Weathering, Fine Scale Miniatures, Tree Making and Waterfront Modeling. About 20 groups.

And, of course, the Railroad Line Forum which has allowed me to follow along with builders all over the world.

I am so very happy to have been born at the right time to enjoy the internet, the explosion of great kit and detail makers.

It's such a great hobby filled with wonderful friends. Thank you all for putting up with me as I continue to explore the world of fine model building.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  5:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark and others.

Thank you for your kind words.

I started building model structures when I was about five. We had visited Knotts Berry Farm and there was a display of a model of the Ghost Town. I was fascinated and have loved building models ever since.

My lovely bride of 49 years knows a vacation means driving through old brokendown ghost towns or other areas of urban decay.

She is always pointing out some old building in case I missed it. She is my biggest fan and points my best models on display in our living room.

I am also fortunate to have opened my first hobby shop in 1973 and a strictly train store in 1975. Through those ventures and my decision to film, edit and produce a series of model building VHS and DVDs, I have a world wide circle of friends who are all excellent model builders.

20 years ago I was going to 6 conentions a year. My focus was always the contest room where the best models are on display. I then focused on learning from the these fine model builders.

The invention of Yahoo groups also widened my exposure to fine model builders. I started and moderated such groups as Weathering, Fine Scale Miniatures, Tree Making and Waterfront Modeling. About 20 groups.

And, of course, the Railroad Line Forum which has allowed me to follow along with builders all over the world.

I am so very happy to have been born at the right time to enjoy the internet, the explosion of great kit and detail makers.

It's such a great hobby filled with wonderful friends. Thank you all for putting up with me as I continue to explore the world of fine model building.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  9:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of signs, this building is about 30 minutes from my house in Idaho City.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  9:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Darryl, wonderful work!
Thanks for sharing your steps taken with us.

Greg Shinnie

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  7:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have taken a tom yorke structure to a decrepit another level , as usual. And in HO to boot.

I know that in the O scale kit the inner wall that joins the 2 buildings together that inside stairs the wall is partly parged. Is this feature only in the O scale versio. I have never seen the Ho version before.

mike lynch

Edited by - hairball on 08/02/2019 11:11:29 AM

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  12:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I don't understand the term "partly parged"

Darryl

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello Darryl, long time no talk to u.

In the O scale pool hall bordello kit , original that I re-issued with permission of Tom yorke. The middle dividing wall between the main building and pool hall side attachment , the stonework is partly parged over with cement/plaster. Its visable in the pool hall area and the staircase is attached too it. Yorke used this technique a lot, specifically on his stone or brick structures. On brick he would carve bare areas where the surface would be brick showing thru. The LAKESIDE GROCERY kit #138 featured this on the front wall.

Too me PARGING is trowelling a plaster type covering over stone or brick or another surface.

can send pictures of pool hall bordello wall if you want mike350@rogers.com

mike lynch

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000