Railroad Line Forums - 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives
Page: of 7

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  7:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I did a Google search for Billiards Signs and found many great signs. The one I ended up using had green it in and it just looked "right" to me.

I backed the paper sign with stripwood and glued it in place.

To make sure the sign was vertical, I bent on of my business cards and used it for a square.

I use business cards for squares, for small palettes when painting, for holding drops of glue and for making notes during the construction of a building.

Business cards are so cheap to have made these days that I have about 5 different kinds. And they come in boxes of 1,000. So I think I have a life time supply.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  7:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the roof was installed on the pool hall, I added a small shed which was designed to enclose the door leading into the upper floor.

Tom Yorke included drawings for this but I adapted them for my needs.

Tom's directions and drawings will produce a finer scale model but I have a hard time figuring out what he means much of the time. So I just build I think will work.

Here is the basic shed.

I added some wood siding to the wall and a window.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  10:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today we have all kinds of drapes and blinds for our windows. But these are all pretty new for the average person.

For this old hotel / bordello, I figured they would just have a piece of cloth nailed to the top of the window opening that would drape down to block the light. Or they would just swing the cloth to one side to let light in.

Often model builders simply paint the inside of the window glass to represent a blind. But I wanted something with more dimension to it.

I cut a few pieces of single ply tissue to about 1 inch by 1/2 inch and stained them with a few colors of very thin paint. To do this I laid the tissue on a sheet of glass (a small mirror) and applied very thin paint.

As the paint dried, I used a couple of scraps of wood to push the paper into crumpled folds.

If your mix of paint is to thin to hold the tissue in position, you can add a drop of Elmer's glue to the tissue and add a drop of water so the glue flows into the tissue.

Again, crumple the tissue as it dries.

I got in a hurry to take the photos and did not wait for the glue to dry. When dry, the glue in the windows cannot be seen.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  04:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most old buildings in the West were quickly and cheaply built. Black tar paper was very common. Cheap, quick and did the job.

But I thought a place like Goldie's would spend the extra dollars to have red tar paper on the roof.

I printed out a sheet of O scale graph paper on my computer. The lines are 1/4 inch apart and make good guidelines for cutting the paper. The lines are printed on one side of the paper. The other side is blank.

I turned the graph paper over and painted the blank side red. I used two different colors. Folkart Flag Red and Folkart Tuscan Red. I did not want a solid red but rather a mix of the two to provide some variation in the roof color without look like a red zebra.

When dry, I cut the paper into 1/2 inch strips.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  2:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cut the supplied cardstock to fit the roof sections and glued the subroofs in place.

I then added the 1/2 inch wide strips of red paper starting from the bottom. I also glued some "patches" in place. I followed this up by applying black tar (acrylic paint) to the joint to prevent leaks.

I then put some Bragdon's earth tone powders on the roof. Shown here.

These were rubbed into the red surface with a small, still brush. The finished look of dirty tar paper roofing shown.

The opposite roof was done the same way. Shown.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite tar paper photos is of this building which is about 30 minutes north of the Boston airport.

Lots of colors, lots of textures and wood strips holding the paper in place.

There are several ways to detail a tar paper roof. One is to patch the roof with black tar paper instead of red. You can "nail" strips of wood down to hold the edges in place. You can put rocks on the paper to hold it down. I have even seen old tires put on the roof to hold the paper down.

Tar paper roofing was very common, but the sap from the wood underneath the paper caused the paper to decay.

When I first moved to Anchorage in 1968, there were very little building codes so I saw many tar paper walls and roofs.

When leaks occurred, hot tar was "mopped" onto the roof to try to stop leaks.

Sometimes a new roof was applied right over the existing roof in an effort to stop leaks.

Our family had an auction business in an old army barracks with a terrible roof. I have many memories of trying to stop leaks on that old roof.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turning our attention to the front, 4 1/16th inch square beams were cut and glued in place to support the second story deck.

To make sure these were square, I worked from the left to the right. I used a business card to make sure the posts were vertical.

I now had to decide what to do for the deck itself.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic, Darryl!

The background information is also very interesting.

Basic tool kit: pencil, ruler, craft knife, business card...

Cheers, Mark.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  02:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the framework of the vertical posts and hand rails on the upper deck, I used 1/16th square stripwood and Tich Tichy parts. All were stained with the mottled green to match the other trim.

In order to make sure these posts were vertical, I cut a business card into an L shape, slid one leg of the L through the open door and used the other side as my vertical square.

Once the glue had dried, I added the end pieces.

After the glue had dried, I realized I had glued the end piece in upside down. So I added a piece of unpainted stripwood on the top. See arrow below.

I then cut and glued in place the first few pieces of my deck roof framework.

I do not measure the spacing of the pieces forming the roof framework. I glue one piece at each end, then one in the middle, then another piece halfway between the others. Here are the 5 I began with.

This photo shows all 9 pieces in place.

I then add the cross pieces using the same method. Two ends, the middle, and then other pieces.

This shows my deck roof framing, almost ready for shingles. I just added a few more cross pieces before shingling.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  03:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought about what kind of roof to put on this porch. I decided to use shingles.

I have lots of shingles from various HO suppliers but I wanted a certain look for this model. So I went with 12 by 24 inch shakes.

I cut these quickly and easily with my Slicer which was made for me by my good friend, Max Corey. This tool is about 30 years old now and works just as good as when it was new, although it looks well used.

It is my favorite scratchbuilding tool.

Another view of my Slicer.

The odd looking thing in the upper left hand corner is a small LRD light that I glued onto the Slicer in order to provide more light when I work in a dark room.

And, finally, there is the roof with the shingles in place. A large number had blown off the left hand side so the owner found and old wooden sign and nailed it onto the roof. I will need to weather the sign.

I started this build on the 8th and figured it would take 10 days. Today is the 18th and all I need to do is add some smoke stacks, a few more signs and final weathering and it will be done.

This has been a fun build and I am happy with the results. I have ordered some HO figures to put on the model. I have a small box of figures somewhere but who knows where it is.

So when my figures arrive I will post some final photos.

Thanks for following along.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  10:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this doesn't win all awards, I do not know what would! Darryl, this is a masterpiece. My jaw hurts from hitting the floor so much. Any compliment I give is so beneath your work. Your modeling skills proceed you sir!

Levi

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darryl,
I enjoyed your step by steps...one fine looking structure!

David Guffey

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Darryl!!!

But if it was me I'd weather the shakes a little more. They look to "fresh" to me to be blowing off. Just a thought.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Darryl. I REALLY like your slicer too.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like all the little piece by piece descriptions you're giving us.

George

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000